Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New engine budgeting

We have the engine in our ‘67 LeMans running pretty good. Probably as good as it gets. But it seems to be a tired old engine and we can tell that it won’t be our last engine. That being said, if we do replace it, I would like to have a really good engine that will be reliable, have decent performance, and last for a while.
I’ve been looking locally and there’s not much, except for a million companies looking to rebuild our existing engine. But I would seriously like to just buy an engine and drop it in.
How much should I budget for a new Pontiac (400) motor. It may be rebuilt, but as much new as possible. The parameters are: not a choppy barn burner of an engine. I’d like as much power as possible, but not to sacrifice a decent idle and driveability. Close to stock with whatever performance upgrades are reasonable. I don’t mind filling up with the best gas available. It is a hobby after all. I have not been able to find prices on the net, but I’m thinking that something from a company like Butler would be great. Just a long block, we have the intake and everything else.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of mentions of Len Williams.

http://www.lenwilliamsautomachine.com

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Seems like a good candidate for a Len Williams long block.

Since there's no core required on his engines, that means you can purchase while your current engine is in service. Then when you receive the engine and the timing is right, spend a weekend doing an R&R. There's no real down time, unless you want there to be.

His pricing is beyond reasonable as well.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another fan of Len Williams. Turn key, reliable, reasonable , no hassles. He's been around doing this for decades and has a great reputation.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excuse me if you will for my comment here on your post , but you have what sounds like a original 54 year old motor in your 1967 car that you say runs pretty good, and then you continue to say that you hope that a rebuilt motor will last a while, lol!

Let me say that you should not fret , because today’s parts ( other then some brand lifters) are a good amount better then what they where back when your 1967 motor was new, and also oil in general today offers better protection then iit did 54 years ago to boot!

A well built motor that gets normal care and is built on a aged ( used ) block should last many years longer then your current 54 year old motor, the only long term issue looks like trying to find drop one of Gas in another 25 years unfortunately!

Also note that cost wise if you have a 326 in the car now, and even if the car has A/C your going to need to step up to a bigger radiator to handle a 400 and it would be very wise to up grade size wise the likely 5/16” fuel line that the car is currently running on.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 04-19-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Steve, the engine in his car is not original, it's a 400, he did get the original when he bought the car.

Only thing about him getting a Len Williams engine is, Len being in Oklahoma, car owner being in Canada...

I would want at least a 400 in his car. A nice running 400 is way cool!!! Runs nice, still gets acceptable MPG....my choice....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
Lots of mentions of Len Williams.

http://www.lenwilliamsautomachine.com
Just step up to forged rods. He recondition the 50 year old rods. But as other said prices are great and he been do it for a long time

Old 04-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t money View Post
Just step up to forged rods. He recondition the 50 year old rods. But as other said prices are great and he been do it for a long time
AND there's no core charge!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-19-2021, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure stepping up to the forged rods doesn't constitute feature creep based on what the OP wants.

Quote:
The parameters are: not a choppy barn burner of an engine. I’d like as much power as possible, but not to sacrifice a decent idle and driveability. Close to stock with whatever performance upgrades are reasonable.
There's certainly nothing wrong with the upgrade, but the above desire doesn't constitute a need for them.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that's great. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks, Guys.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Another fan of Len Williams. Turn key, reliable, reasonable , no hassles. He's been around doing this for decades and has a great reputation.
x2 on Len Williams. I took a period correct, but rusted badly complete engine (66 389) to him, he returned a complete "new" engine to me. Due to my own issues I do not have much run time on it, but I could not be happier with the service he provided.

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Wow that's great. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks, Guys.
Just a thought.....

Do you have any friends in the states, that you could have a Len Williams engine shipped to, then go there and pick it up?? to save money...maybe?

I live in Oklahoma, but am on the other side of Len.....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-20-2021, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya, we’re resigned to the fact that shipping will be a large added cost. Not to mention the exchange. But it’s all good.
That price is by far the best that I’ve seen out there. Especially with 385 horsepower. I showed the link to my son and he wants to order right now. So I’ll probably reach out to them to get the ball rolling. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Just a thought.....

Do you have any friends in the states, that you could have a Len Williams engine shipped to, then go there and pick it up?? to save money...maybe?

I live in Oklahoma, but am on the other side of Len.....
The issue right now is the border is still closed to non-essential travel. There are a few good builders in Ontario and probably 100x as many that say they are good.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471

Last edited by ta man; 04-20-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
The issue right now is the border is still closed to non-essential travel. There are a few good builders in Ontario and probably 100x as many that say they are good.
Ernie, THanks!

To me, one of the most difficult things to do, is finding a legit machine shop/engine builder close by where I live. My engine builder is a friend, had some unusual life set backs hit him, he moved to the Tulsa area, and only tunes racing stuff now. I know of another, but he stays REAL busy, and lost his wife last summer.

Hopefully the border will be opened, soon!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-20-2021, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Ernie, THanks!

To me, one of the most difficult things to do, is finding a legit machine shop/engine builder close by where I live. My engine builder is a friend, had some unusual life set backs hit him, he moved to the Tulsa area, and only tunes racing stuff now. I know of another, but he stays REAL busy, and lost his wife last summer.

Hopefully the border will be opened, soon!!!
edit: sent you a pm

Old 04-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not recommending him since I have no personal experience, but I've been following videos from Nick's Garage in Montreal; he mainly works on Mopars but he seems to be pretty knowledgeable on other makes as well. He'll be starting a Pontiac rebuild in the next few weeks that may be worth watching, if nothing else for educational purposes. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKx...YGFQcY11cJGNtA

Old 04-21-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with several people who posted aftermarket connecting rods were not needed for the OP's goals. A set of OE cast rods, properly reconditioned with new hardware, is just fine for this application. In fact, I would prefer those to some of the cheap Chinese forged rods that need to be resized before you can use them anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 421 HO in my 62 GP has rebuilt 69 casts rods and 068 cam.No regrets.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
The 421 HO in my 62 GP has rebuilt 69 casts rods and 068 cam.No regrets.Tom
^That's what I'm talkin about^

Frank