Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default speedo cable in 4 speed tranny

Replaced the "Bullet" that goes into the trans today, just wanted to make sure i got this right, when tightening the knurled nut onto the trans, do you go just hand tight on this or what.

I could only go about 2 threads using my hands, seemed like alot of threads still showing, so i used a channel lock and kept tightening untill snug.........is this the way you guys are doing this, or should i just have hand tightened it.

Thanks

Rich

Old 05-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually tighten mine by hand, but sounds as though yours might of had some thread damage?? usually tighten till the
cable casing is secure, should not be loose. No play in the casing to bullet.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be ok, but you could take the bullet out and try screwing the cable on, see if it goes on easier.

If the inner drive cable slipped out of the speedo, and you force it on, you could do some damage. If it slipped out of the speedo, with the cable off at trans side, spin the inner cable by hand while pushing, it should slip back in.

If not, you will have to worm your way under the dash to disconnect/reconnect, making sure it's in there right.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-13-2021, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks guys..........HWYSTR455.......i thought of doing that after i got it all on. lol.....im not gonna mess with it anymore, its on now .........im gonna get me a new cable just in case something is threaded half-a$$......i have a two piece cable on now, the cable hooks on the pass side...........not sure where this cable came from but it is 55 inches long and then it hooks into another cable that goes to the dash.........in the ames book looks like the closest i can get is a 57 inches.

I think i might be better off waiting untill something breaks on the cable, then take the whole thing out and get the right size.

Just in case anyone with a 66 that bought the whole cable.......a length would be great.

Thanks again

Rich

Old 05-13-2021, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you have 4 speed with a Chevy tail housing. There speedo hook ups were on passenger side. You might look at a cable for a Chevelle, it should be the right length. That's what I did.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm running a 57" cable on my 67. My ST10 trans connection is on the passenger side as well. I ordered the cable from ames.

When I received the cable the inner (rotating) piece was fairly dry so I ran some white lithium grease through it to lube it. It's been smooth and quiet for a little over 2k miles now

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 05-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Spud, was that a one piece cable, mine is two with the one being a 55 incher......im gonna look into hobbygto65 suggestion, i got enough chevy stuff on this car, might as well call it a chevelle.

Rich