WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

What are the ramification of buying a 2009 G8 GXP knowing that Pontiac is out business. The questions I have are. Repair, parts, sheet metal, factory tech support, vibration issues that I read about on the G8 forum etc. I would like to buy one but.......
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
That locator only gives the closest 50 cars. Even if you hack the URL string to give a higher max count. It's not a national inventory. To get that you have to keep altering the zip code to go farther and farther from your home.

Correct, just insert zip codes from large metro areas and it will show you everything in the system = national inventory/

Zips found online easy.

Went and looked at a few today...prices on one were dropped heavy at one dealer not much at another.

Saw a STRYKER BLUE listed in Michigan doing a national search late last night. Might be old data, who knows.
Jeff
Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Correct, just insert zip codes from large metro areas and it will show you everything in the system = national inventory/

Zips found online easy.

Went and looked at a few today...prices on one were dropped heavy at one dealer not much at another.

Saw a STRYKER BLUE listed in Michigan doing a national search late last night. Might be old data, who knows.
Jeff

Ah thought you were saying you would get "national inventory" in one search. That's definitely not the case. I guess I wouldn't refer to this as a "national inventory" search but the closest 50 cars to a particular zip. There's a big difference imo.

It takes a *lot* of work to pop in different zips, see whats out there, etc. I spent hours and hours on this in June leading up to my eventual GXP purchase.

In MI there was an SBM A6 at a dealer that's now out of business.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
What are the ramification of buying a 2009 G8 GXP knowing that Pontiac is out business. The questions I have are. Repair, parts, sheet metal, factory tech support, vibration issues that I read about on the G8 forum etc. I would like to buy one but.......
Vibration issues - drive it first. Mine had no vibrations at delivery and still don't.

I think the big concern would be body panels and things specific to G8's over time. If the car really does come over as a Caprice now as Bob Lutz suggested then that will help in that regard. I wouldn't be too worried about powertrain components being available.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
Ah thought you were saying you would get "national inventory" in one search. That's definitely not the case. I guess I wouldn't refer to this as a "national inventory" search but the closest 50 cars to a particular zip. There's a big difference imo.

It takes a *lot* of work to pop in different zips, see whats out there, etc. I spent hours and hours on this in June leading up to my eventual GXP purchase.

In MI there was an SBM A6 at a dealer that's now out of business.
So....You didnt loose any of your time?

Some good advice: "dont sweat the small stuff".

Last edited by JLHarper; 07-13-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally...delivered this morning and it is BEAUTIFUL! Sounds awesome and I can tell a big difference in power between this one and the orange GT. I told my sons to stand behind the car they wanted when I'm gone, and they both fought over the GXP spot! As you can see in the photo, they worked it out using the "Seniority Method".

BJ

BJ

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice! The wheels really stand out with SBLUE, looks very sharp.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great looking car BJ, mine got here on Tues, but I was at my Indiana office. Drove all night just got in this morning. It looks awesome. About 4 hours worth of work here and the car and this weekend are mine.

As far as the vibration comment, I thought most of that was on earlier built GT's I don't remember seeing a single thread about vibration on a GXP, but I could be wrong.

I'll see if I can get some pics up later. Good luck with the new car BJ.

Stan
Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stan:
Congrats on getting your car! What color/trans option did you go with?

BJ

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Stan:
Congrats on getting your car! What color/trans option did you go with?

BJ
Thanks BJ, it's Pacific Slate with no roof. A6 I really wanted a stick but my color choice was my first priority, then tranny. The wife and I both prefer solid roofs but that wasn't a deal breaker.

I simply could not find a PSM M6 anywhere, so I got the auto. I'm heading out to wash it right now.

Stan
Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Just what color is the P Slate. is it a green , gray......
Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
Just what color is the P Slate. is it a green , gray......
Here are some good pictures from the G8 Board. Check out post # 12 for best representation of the color. Actually very nice color.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19934

BJ

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Senior Chief

Overuld and Harper, Thanks for your help. I have been trying to find this car for the past two weeks. Living in Hawaii has made it difficult to say the least. I called one of two local dealers and one had the blue car but it was already purchased but still sitting at the dealers showroom. I turned my attention to the mainland (west coast) to avoid the three thousand dollars shipping cost from back east. No luck as far east as Las Vegas. Sunday I decide to go look at the blue car that was sold . It turns out the owner of the dealership is keeping it for himself. I made him an offer he could not refuse. My wife for the car. I came home with the car (and my wife). He said I can have both. I am not sure if that's a compliment. LOL... By the way, they are both dynamite. All kidding aside. The car is truly awesome. I can't believe how I lucked out as I just about gave up. It has all the toys except the sunroof. And living in Hawaii I need more sun like Custer needed more Indians. Very well made and a solid feel. I will park it in my warehouse next to my 69 CR JUDGE, 70 OO JUDGE, 70 T/A and 69 H/O OLDS. Thanks again. It really is a great car. Now I can focus on that Grabber Blue Shelby GT500 Mustang.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!! Great ending to a difficult search. I take it yours is a 6-speed manual with no sunroof, which actually makes it more rare. Glad you got the car and got to keep your wife as well - funny offer! Post some pictures of the car and your other Ponchos! Sounds like a nice collection.

BJ

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
1. How much off of sticker are you guys getting these GXPs for?

2. Who's the blonde?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
1. How much off of sticker are you guys getting these GXPs for?

2. Who's the blonde?
1. ~ $4,500

2. Didn't get her name, she was the wife of the driver who delivered my car.

BJ

Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Chief

I paid MSRP minus the 4k. It is worth every penny. The car is very well made and the acceleration is very smooth. Before you know it, you're doing ninety and it feels like fifty. The seats are just right and what car can you confortably fit four gorillas in and still pull away from most anything on the road. This has got to be the most underrated car out there. I took a couple of my friends to the warehouse and they all said the same thing. First "what is it" then "how come we didn't know about this car" and last "where can we get one". Don't worry about how much off sticker yada yada yada. Just go and get one. Actually run and get one, before they're gone. You will not be sorry. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I paid 35,177 for my car, however that did NOT include taxes because I bought it out of state and had no trade. I personally think that the factory incentives are just about all you are going to get on these cars.

Especially IF they have the color and tranny that you want. Gt's on the other hand can be had for incentives plus. At least that's what I have found.

Stan
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM

For those of you who may have missed the broadcast.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.h..._referrer=staf
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Let's try this again.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.h..._referrer=staf