The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you supply the paint and all materials you can get a good job at a Macco.
Work out a deal to do after hours so the car can be left in booth overnight.
Make sure you see what they are capable of first.
For what youll spend on a good gun and tent etc you could pay them and a generous tip too.
How far are you from Daytona?
Buy enough paint for a couple cars....... Ive got a Firebird thats ready too.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg,

If you need to borrow a paint gun, I'd be willing to send you mine. I'm not even close to painting my car. It's been so long since I've looked at the gun, I can't tell you the specs. But it is a hvlp gun. It's not a cheap gun, but not the top of the line either.
Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The one thing that keeps worrying me is whether I'll have the motivation to start going over the car again to make absolutely sure I have it as good as I can get it before I just start spraying.

Sanding a black guide coat will show you your problem areas.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

The DeVilbiss plus gun has a transfer efficiency that is equal to a hvlp, it doesn't kick up the fog that the old conventional guns do. It runs a higher pressure at the gun, atomizes really good and is faster than most hvlps. It might just be what I'm used to, I started painting 47 years ago and used conventional guns for years. I sold my Iwata because it was S-L-O-W. I have a DeVilbiss finishline 3 also with a conventional air cap and a 1.5 fluid nozzle that I still use occasionally with single stage but you definitely need good ventilation because it really kicks up a fog so I wouldn't recommend it, but it puts the paint down slick and fast.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mark View Post
Just bring it up here and I'll let you use our booth and my personal Iwata for free! Just had to say it... A temporary visqueen booth with pvc pipes and positive pressure fan's works ok. Lay visqueen on the ground first and build a "tent" over the top of it. Or... you can get a storage tent from Sam's club, Costco, etc. for a couple hundred bucks and use it afterwards for storage. just cover the framework with clear visqueen instead of the cover that comes with it for a booth, and paint on a sunny day. Have your fan blowing into the booth with a filter on the fan, and have a filtered hole on the other end to let the air out. I've done a driveway job or two that way in the past. It worked pretty good.
Ok, I'm headed out now. I'll call you in about two weeks when I get to NW Idaho...lol
I think the PVC 'tent' is going to be my best and easiest approach. I'll make it like a giant pup tent. All I have to do when I'm done is to pull it apart and save it for my next paint job, or plumbing emergency. A/C filters on one end and a couple of box fans on the other.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
If you supply the paint and all materials you can get a good job at a Macco.
Work out a deal to do after hours so the car can be left in booth overnight.
Make sure you see what they are capable of first.
For what youll spend on a good gun and tent etc you could pay them and a generous tip too.
How far are you from Daytona?
Buy enough paint for a couple cars....... Ive got a Firebird thats ready too.
I haven't found a GOOD Maaco around here yet. I'm about 500 miles from Daytona. You want your Firebird Meridian Turquoise, bring it on up. I'll be happy to practice on yours before I do mine...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"All I have to do when I'm done is to pull it apart and save it for my next paint job, or plumbing emergency." - LOL. Good one!

will be keeping an eye on your progress. Hope to see a shot of the pvc tent- it might be my solution as well. I am a working stiff and can't afford paint/body.

-J

Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
The DeVilbiss plus gun has a transfer efficiency that is equal to a hvlp, it doesn't kick up the fog that the old conventional guns do. It runs a higher pressure at the gun, atomizes really good and is faster than most hvlps. It might just be what I'm used to, I started painting 47 years ago and used conventional guns for years. I sold my Iwata because it was S-L-O-W. I have a DeVilbiss finishline 3 also with a conventional air cap and a 1.5 fluid nozzle that I still use occasionally with single stage but you definitely need good ventilation because it really kicks up a fog so I wouldn't recommend it, but it puts the paint down slick and fast.
I have not found anyone saying anything bad about that DeVilbiss gun so far. It's on my shortlist along with the HVLP gun that fbrown says that he is using.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68droptop View Post
Greg,

If you need to borrow a paint gun, I'd be willing to send you mine. I'm not even close to painting my car. It's been so long since I've looked at the gun, I can't tell you the specs. But it is a hvlp gun. It's not a cheap gun, but not the top of the line either.
Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Jeff
I haven't borrowed anything like that from anyone in more than 20 years. If anything happens to them, I feel responsible for replacing them with brand new ones. I've done that a couple of times and thought immediately, I could have just bought it for myself. Sooo...ever since that last time, I always just buy what I need. If I can't afford to replace it, I can't afford to borrow it. If I can afford to replace it, I can afford to buy it in the first place.
I really, really DO appreciate the generous offer though!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The one thing that keeps worrying me is whether I'll have the motivation to start going over the car again to make absolutely sure I have it as good as I can get it before I just start spraying.

Sanding a black guide coat will show you your problem areas.

I'm talking about worrisome things like sanding scratches, adhesion problems lurking and waiting to pop up in the future, etc. I don't want to paint this thing and next year have bubbles popping up, paint coming off in sheets, etc. As for the surface being flat, I'm pretty.....fairly..... confident it's blocked ok.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Greg, the copper Tekna with the7e7 cap that fbbrown mentioned is also a compliant high efficincy conventional gun. It can be a hvlp with a different air cap. These high efficiency guns are supposed to give you better metallic control and slicker clearcoat. Alot of people are switching from hvlp to these guns for that reason.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I haven't found a GOOD Maaco around here yet. I'm about 500 miles from Daytona. You want your Firebird Meridian Turquoise, bring it on up. I'll be happy to practice on yours before I do mine...
ha ha
pass

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just remeber to have the fans blowing in for positive pressure. That way any dust or pollen floating around won't get suck in around your seams and the bottom of the "booth". Don't aim the fan towards the car though, put it in a corner on the side and aim it across the end. Have a good filter on the outside of the fan. Put the fan outside of the booth and cut a hole in the plastic and duct tape it real well to the booth. That way you have no fumes actually going through the fan. Set up a bench in the booth so all your "stuff" is in the booth so you don't have a bunch of trips in and out. I'm probably forgetting something but will post if I think of anything more. Can ya tell I've done a couple "driveway jobs"?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. Like I said, it's probably going to be a couple of months. I want the weather to be pretty stable and warm. Probably early April. That'll give me time to work out how I'm going to do it and to go over the car again to get it as good as I can with my limited knowledge and ability. I will definitely update here.
Bob, I hear you on the gun. I already have a low grade HVLP so I'm open to trying the newer design conventional. Sounds good.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-25-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mark View Post
Just remeber to have the fans blowing in for positive pressure. That way any dust or pollen floating around won't get suck in around your seams and the bottom of the "booth". Don't aim the fan towards the car though, put it in a corner on the side and aim it across the end. Have a good filter on the outside of the fan. Put the fan outside of the booth and cut a hole in the plastic and duct tape it real well to the booth. That way you have no fumes actually going through the fan. Set up a bench in the booth so all your "stuff" is in the booth so you don't have a bunch of trips in and out. I'm probably forgetting something but will post if I think of anything more. Can ya tell I've done a couple "driveway jobs"?
That's surprising but I'm listening. I would have thought that I needed to have the fan blowing out and drawing air in through the filters.
I had already thought of having my pushcart inside for my supplies. When I get my 'booth' made, I may come up with a checklist for you guys to look over.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was going to shoot my car with this gun (and would recommend it to any fellow amateur - especially if using a marginal compressor):

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati.../dp/B000HTLL70

as it did an excellent job on jambs, etc, but I messed up the tip cleaning it up (used a piece of metal wire that f'ed up one of the holes) and didn't notice it until I started spraying base over the whole car a few days later and it was tiger striping like crazy due to the uneven pattern. 100% my fault - not the gun's.

I hastily went and grabbed my cheapo harbor freight purple gun I had used for primer and shot the base/clear with that. Definitely wasted a bit of paint due to the switch (and higher pressure) but the paint job came out way better than I expected!

Also, be sure to shop around for paint - the local PPG shop thought that their sh!t was made of gold and didn't even have an exact match for '65 Iris Mist in their system, and the guy at the local NAPA was apologetic when he gave me a quote for $600+/gal basecoat (still cheaper than PPG by $100+). I ended up buying valspar online for a fraction of the cost and have no complaints (and the color match was excellent).

I could write a novel about my experience, but will leave it at that for now.

I think coming up with a checklist and putting it up for review would be a good idea for further input.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, the thread title made me think you wanted to paint your driveway!
Anyway, I'm reading this for the first time. In all seriousness, if it is feasible for you to get your car here this spring, we can do it in the booth I just finished building in my new shop. Remember I told you a while back that I quit my job and was opening my own restoration shop? Well, it's done.
This is a standing offer, so let me know at any time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	311010  

Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh Oh. Road trip!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Greg, the thread title made me think you wanted to paint your driveway!
Anyway, I'm reading this for the first time. In all seriousness, if it is feasible for you to get your car here this spring, we can do it in the booth I just finished building in my new shop. Remember I told you a while back that I quit my job and was opening my own restoration shop? Well, it's done.
This is a standing offer, so let me know at any time.
that pic gave me a wet spot
do you own the building? WOW

Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cammer, the building's not mine, just the equipment. Had to add electrical, heat, air lines, etc. Just opened the doors last week.
That was some of the paint shop side, below is some of the body shop side. I think I can make room for Greg's car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	311036