THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Those damn GM dust shields are really something. The rears are worse than the front generally. It's almost like they were treated with a special rust agent that would make them rust faster and dissolve faster than any metal known to man! I have seen them go to dust in 3 years around here. Never had an issue running without them. The brake caliper doesn't know the difference. It's a floating design so it just takes a new set on the slide pins. You may have already done this but Rock Auto sells some genuine GM dust backing plates. Possibly GM still has them in their parts system. I would think finding good used ones would be impossible. Those GM trucks are nice vehicles.
I checked Rock Auto ... I probably spent $2K on parts there for this rehab Evidently the front shields are just not available for my year. They have the rear original style, rear split style etc. But nothing for the front of 2WD 2011.

I'm sure one of the other year/series would fit, did all the usual searching the GM part number, looking for superseded numbers etc. Well ... it's all buttoned up, but you telling me it's not an issue makes me feel better. I'm sure there would have been lots of "DON'T DO THIS" videos on Youtube if it was a no-no

I will say it again ... jeez, I wish they offered like a $1000 option on new vehicles for "Rust Belt" locations with stainless brake hardware, nickel copper brake/fuel lines, proper undercoat, stainless shields, covers and mounts for underbody stuff.

Yep, I agree about those shields ... I guess I combination of salt and constant heat from the rotors accelerates the rusting process, you'd think the aftermarket would have stepped in with an SS part for that location.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good thing to do in retirement, with your spare time, make SS deflector for your year, and model of truck...............LOL

You'll be rich in no time!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-22-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well ... to be honest, some 0.030" SS and a laser and you'd be all set.

In fact there is a place called something like SendCutSend that does incredibly cheap laser cutting ... draw up a CAD file and I bet they'd produce them for $10 each. Had friend that used them for a project, very happy with the results and it was 80% lower than emachineshop.com. But they only do flat, no machining at all, just flat laser cut stuff. I just recieved a laser cut SS mounting bracket for the tailight junction box mount on my truck, $17 ... sure it will outlive the truck. OEM part was paper thin rust.

Old 07-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the old truck made the 2200 mile round trip with no drama. Managed 17 mpg averaging about 70 mph, towing 1600 lbs, and around 400 lbs in the bed. Temps in the 90's most of the time. Drove locally down there about 300 miles in mid 90's most of the time.

Will be doing the same trip with the same stuff in Oct. Will probably bring a spare coil (has eight of them), might look into replacing the trans cooling lines prior, they look pretty rusty, and maybe replace the two front O2 sensors.

Old 07-13-2023, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of your preventative maintance is paying off. Welcome to the MidSouth!

Old 07-13-2023, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank OPH ... I'm itching to move down there. All of a sudden a hate to lift a finger working on our place up north knowing it's only temporary now.