THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 PM

Default Estate Sales who else cant stay away from them

I don't need half the stuff I get but I want it. I am sure most of the good stuff will be gone and people throwing elbows to get to it. This one starts on Friday plus a swap meet this weekend, going to be a good weekend

Old 09-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call me a skeptic but from what I have seen a lot of stuff is trucked in for those “estate” sales. It has nothing to do with whomever estate that was....

Don

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 PM

I started going to estate sales about 3 months ago, and find it very enjoyable. I have found some very good buys, but also see a lot of junk not worth taking home even if the stuff was free! The one thing I am learning is, estate sales are very personal you see how people have lived their lives based on the condition of the house and the stuff that is in it. And based on what I have seen, I am now in a mode to get rid of all the stuff I no longer have use for so my kids do not have to go through the process of an estate sale to get rid of my useless junk.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Stopped at an estate sale and there were a few 12ga. shot guns. I was inspecting a Remington model 10, bottom load bottom eject, very cool! Checked to see if it was loaded, safety first. I was racking it marveling at the very early design and load/eject function. It was then that I noticed all the non guns people getting nervous because there was a guy with a gun? At $100 I just couldn't pass it up, also got a JC Higgins 12ga. for $125. That was also a cool old 12ga. with the choke at the end of the barrel. Very odd design.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
Stopped at an estate sale and there were a few 12ga. shot guns. I was inspecting a Remington model 10, bottom load bottom eject, very cool! Checked to see if it was loaded, safety first. I was racking it marveling at the very early design and load/eject function. It was then that I noticed all the non guns people getting nervous because there was a guy with a gun? At $100 I just couldn't pass it up, also got a JC Higgins 12ga. for $125. That was also a cool old 12ga. with the choke at the end of the barrel. Very odd design.

Because there was no "safe place" set aside for them.
Sounds like you did well on pricing.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Because there was no "safe place" set aside for them.
Sounds like you did well on pricing.
As safe as could be in the garage where the guy handling the transfers was. It was a huge sale with 100s of people. I thought it was funny how what appeared to be anti gun people were acting. That aside I love going to estate sales, always find some good treasures. Scored some good ones at this same sale. WWI ammo box, Stainless Mini 14 mag, misc. ammo, and some redline hot wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	520541   Click image for larger version

Name:	224.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	520542   Click image for larger version

Name:	227.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	520543  

Old 09-20-2019, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they haul glassware from one sale to the other but I still go and occasionally get a buy on something

Old 09-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a lot of old folks in my neighborhood, and I was going to one a month for a while. I focus on artwork - I've got stuff all over the walls of my house that I picked up for cheap. Haven't been to one in a while - no time these days.

There are "professionals" that show up first and pick up all the high ticket stuff - furniture, etc. Which is surprising, because most of that stuff is crap, IMO.

Funniest find was I picked up a copy of The Godfather and started thumbing through it. A bunch of 1970's Playboy centerfolds fell out!

Old 09-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, not my thing.
I do know a guy that makes pretty good side money buying estate stuff and reselling it. He's done it for years and knows what he can move.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not so much estate sales but garage sales. I mainly look for tools, I've sort of gotten into collecting certain types and brands.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Not so much estate sales but garage sales. I mainly look for tools, I've sort of gotten into collecting certain types and brands.
Same deal here, certain types of tools. Suburban estate sales... folks with a few acres & shop or big garage have yielded the best results. In my area, not many big old frame houses with basements & a lifetime of clutter.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:48 PM

The estate sale opens at 9:00 and I get there at 9:10. All the Mobil shirts are gone and the patches. I see the Mobil flag there and think score, well it is 345.00. The gas globes are 500-300 and all the good oil cans are gone as well. The majority of the people are saw there were 70-80's and moving kind of slow. Oh well swap meet is still tomorrow, I bet I see some of that stuff there tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I scored some NOS Bardahl signs at an estate sale about a year ago. Guy was a distributor for years.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been to a couple estate sales and scored a little bit. Mostly I stay away from them. Their kids jack up the prices. If you can get in quick enough and buy the whole kit and caboodle in one shot with cash, then you can really make out. I know a few around here that do it... I call them thieves.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bet that desk was still there.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime