67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Just an FYI, the new issue of Musclecar Magazine has a two-page feature on Truman Field's 68 RAII "Hard Times" Firebird.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

saddly i know of 2 that were scrapped.first a gto that went to a yard i visted back in the 80's.someone else grabbed the heads,but ended up with the exhaust manifolds.rest of the car was shot,dead,done,noway to fix.sold the manifolds shortly after to someone putting one back together,so at least they got used.
next was a 4 speed bird.guy saw my 71 round port heads and said he had a set laying in his garage from his old car.turns out it was a 68 raII bird.he tryed to drive it like a chevy,shifting 6-7000.after blowing several motors he put a small block chevy in it then wrecked it.all that was left was the heads.i had helped him with some things so said he would give me the heads free.came back the next day and said wife cleaned out the garage and threw them away.this was in 84.
like some of you have said RA II's were pretty low key,if you didn't know what you were looking at,you would never know.

Last edited by 1971WARBIRD; 08-06-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Chief

Great to hear Jim Mino and Gary D. post...

and Gary I couldnt agree more.

"my personal opinion is that they are the most over looked musclecar there is."

None of the RA IV, 455HO, SD455 cars I've owned (incl 69 RAIV fbody) are/were as fast as my RA II Bird. Wicked cars with wicked good looks that run WAYYYYY under the radar...

Gary...A quick follow on Q...

Have you ever run one of your Hemi E-bodies vs the Ram II bird?

now THATS a race I want to hear details on... :-)

Is the RA II Bird THEE fastest stock car you own or have ever owned (irrespecitve of marque)?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

Mike, I am pretty sure that Truman's car was not originally a factory RA II Firebird.

===
"Just an FYI, the new issue of Musclecar Magazine has a two-page feature on Truman Field's 68 RAII "Hard Times" Firebird."

Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Neither of Truman's cars nor the one that Pete McCarthy campaigned were originally built as II's. One of Truman's was a I as was Pete's.

Quote:
Yes, all RA II VINS are known....

Assuming of course you have unfettered access to all Pontiac billing histories...
Yes & no - all of the II Firebird's were back traced in the mid/late 80's by Fred Simmonds and that is where the mid May date came from - I'm not sure if Fred kept track of the VIN's or not and if there is indeed a list - Gary, do you know for sure?

That same date has been used regularly as the date when ALL II production began, but I don't believe that to be the case. It has long been a fact of GTO Billing Cards that the April & May RA cars had all zero's in the EUN and TUN boxes, I've since learned that Firebirds shared this too - this tells me that the cars went into production without anybody knowing truly what motor they would get, but since it was a no cost option/mid year change, nobody seemed to care. I have heard of a late April, Baltimore built II car that has a numbers matching block, although I have never seen it - it's in NY.

I'm the second owner of a mid May Baltimore built Verdoro Green auto hardtop that I believe is a II, and a December Pontiac built 4spd Burgundy hardtop that is a I. The original motor on the green car went to the junk yard in 76 when it was blown (4:33 gears are brutal.) I've since bought two XW motors, one who's PHS I have (and JM has traced to find that it was crushed) and the other which I have not PHS'd for that reason. I also have the correct XS NOM for my 4spd I car which has no VIN number on it. All 3 of the blocks are "as-cast" 2506 blocks with the 2 XW's having C118 casting dates.

Some day we may have all the VINs and be able to document these like the IV cars, but I doubt it.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Good info boss...

my comment

"Yes, all RA II VINS are known....

Assuming of course you have unfettered access to all Pontiac billing histories..."

My comment was of course tongue in cheek. *If* one had the ability to peruse the Billing Histories from say April 68 through the end of production for both Birds and GTOs one WOULD be able to get a list of every single RA II car ever made. Of course 99.9999999% of Pontiac enthusiass CANT do that. That said, I can, off the top of my head, come up with someone who COULD do that though.... ;-)

Last edited by ramair2; 08-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool 68 RA II GTO.

There was a 68 GTO in this month's legend... sold......

Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Ram Air II

I can confirm of three cars here in Illinois, a friend of mine has a GTO conv. Firebird conv. and hardtop. He also has a Firebird clone car. So thats three more cars plus one clone.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Chief

Hot cat:

If your buddy is RL...then i think i have those covered on my list above....gto automatic ra 2 convert...the verdoro 5K mile fb coupe..as for the ra 2 fb convert....are u sure its a 2? ...his 68 red ra convert bird is a ram air 1...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

If I remember correctly, Greg C in PA has a RAI and a RAII vert. Is that one accounted for?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What were the specs on the raII camshaft?

john

Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
What were the specs on the raII camshaft?

john
Same as the IV, but the heads used the 1.5 rockers instead of the 1.65's.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

"If I remember correctly, Greg C in PA has a RAI and a RAII vert. Is that one accounted for?"

yep...

here is the original RAM AIR II list i put out, now with with owner initials next to them...that should help clarify...

11 Documented RA II cars ( 9 Birds, 2 GTOs) that I am aware of with owners initials...
(Again, I'm not including he said she said, rumored/undocumented cars)....

9 Birds
7 hard top
2 convertibles
--3 RA II Birds fully restored (1 of which is a convert)--

2 GTOs
both Convertibles
--one RA II GTO fully restored--

Me RA II Bird (3 owners, 62k, matching, verdoro, 4speed, bench seat, fully restored)
MW RA II Bird convert (triple black, 4speed, concours, matching)
RL RA II Bird (verdoro, 5k miles yet fully restored, matching? 4spd)
GC RA II Bird convert (matching, complete, 4spd orig red now green (?!) needs full resto)
MW RA II Bird (4speed, nightshade, matching, in need of full resto)
-- RA II Bird (4speed, matching two owners, needs full resto)
GD RA II Bird (lo mi, matching, unrestored, 4spd, green needs cosmetic,sitting 20+yr)
JMi RA II Bird (4speed, autumn bronze, non matching?)
JMi RA II Bird ( "" "" "" non matching?)
*400HO- NOT a documented RA II Bird (auto, black(orig)?, matching?)- Tony- Used at PSD*
RB RA II GTO convert (black/black, matching, unrestored, 4speed, recent mags)
RL RA II GTO convert (automatic, lo miles, matching, restored in last 10-15 yrs)

Feel free to cut/past/add your documented/known RA II cars to the list above...

Last edited by ramair2; 08-08-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default RA II registry?

By the way if anyone wishes to PM me with cars that they know of (vs posing here) thats cool too. I will try to put together a comprehensive list (my original one + board contribution RA II cars) for anyone interested (with owner initials only)....RA II registry down the road??

:-)

PS to techteacher..check out the parallel RA II thread in the 68-69 gto section...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Gary has two for sure and maybe third GTO.

1 for sure is Vedoro green with a black vinyl top; 4SP car and original rear is gone if memory serves me correct, otherwise number match to best of my knowledge.

I want to say the second one I know about is a red or blue car of some sort, don’t know any other details but seems like it’s Auto.

I have driven the green car in the past and seen both as of just a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved400
Gary has two for sure and maybe third GTO.

1 for sure is Vedoro green with a black vinyl top; 4SP car and original rear is gone if memory serves me correct, otherwise number match to best of my knowledge.

I want to say the second one I know about is a red or blue car of some sort, don’t know any other details but seems like it’s Auto.

I have driven the green car in the past and seen both as of just a couple of weeks ago.
The second one is blue and I think the PA/Ohio one he beat me to is Verdoro Green as well, but that was a long time ago.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

thanks guys ill add garys two gtos to the list..up to 13! whoopie! ;-)

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss
The second one is blue and I think the PA/Ohio one he beat me to is Verdoro Green as well, but that was a long time ago.
Yes those are the cars, they came from the same place.

He has probably told me and showed me the third a dozen times, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Ram Air II

Ram air 2, in regards to your comment earlier. Yes it's RL he does in fact have a 68' Ram Air II firebird I can send you a picture. He also has the "Historian" 68' Firebird racecar formerly owned by Jim Matteson it's a factory I car but now has a 455 with Ram Air II heads. He has three genuine cars plus one car with genuine heads.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

"Yes it's RL he does in fact have a 68' Ram Air II firebird I can send you a picture. "

Hotcat: On my list I already show RL having a RA II Bird (hardtop 5k miles verdoro restored) as well as RA II Gto convert (auto). Are you saying he has a THIRD RA II car? What is it? I know he has several additiona RA I Firebirds but was unaware of a 2nd RA II Bird. Please clarify if you can...