Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trust me, I have dealt with A holes and I don't think that you are one by any means. I do appreciate everyone's input though. It helps me with the path I need to take. Just out of curiosity. What do you guy's think a reasonable price would be for a dual 4 cast intake, knowing what a factory intake would cost if you can find one? I know this is a loaded question, but I need to get a feel for market value.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V Heads !!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your loaded question is valid and thanks for the kindness Don.

Well, what kind of dual quad intake do you want to make? Single or Dual plane? To fit your heads or a factory head?

OR, do you go with making an intake to fit the factory head configuration and then go with spacers?

I think 2500 to 3000 would be a realistic wallet opening experience to me, but that's just me. Some guys would choke on that number, but you have to look at the project as a whole. This is coming from a guy who is willing to throw down 10K for an original intake. There are 3 that I know of, and no one wants to part with them, so I have to make one.

I would consider Tom and I the upper end of the hobby experience so take that with a grain of salt my friend. Clearly, the lower the cost the more units you shall sell.

It's a tough call Don. My first knee jerk reaction would be to go for a stock (physical) head size and modify the internals as best you can for performance. I think that would be the best business decision, but again, If your marketing is geared towards strip racers mostly, then my advice is moot.

My point is, you don't want to exclude anyone from your project. Having a focus group such as this forum is a good way to shake out your plans, but you have to remember, your market shall dictate your business ventures.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take a SWAG at this Don, might be totally off base since I have no idea what it would cost to produce.
But, if I'm paying roughly 5 grand just to put a set of V heads on, I'd be ok in the $1000 to $2000 range for a nice quality low rise cast dual quad intake.

$3000-$5000 for an intake would be a deal breaker by the time you stack everything else on that's required for the change.
I'd suspect for the street market someone needs to be able to do everything required for under 10 grand, that includes everything from new cam to headers.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,if you made the "claw" dual quad that would be exactly like the V and would fit a stock V with no mods im a player at 3K.Would buy 2 im sure.Tom

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ho428

1 grand is too cheap.

2 grand - you would barely break even.

You have to remember, you need a 1966 aluminum tripower intake water crossover to add to the mix so it's not just an intake you are purchasing.

Unless, Don can make a single piece intake and therefore, with your budget, you are out of the game.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tend to agree with your analysis. If I do tool up for a cast intake, it is definitely going to be for the street crowd not the racer's. Like I stated earlier, I think those guy's are all going to want a custom built intake not a cast one. I think that if I get enough interest for a dual quad intake (probably a single plane) that will work with both my heads and the factory heads. I could retail them in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 to $2500.00 range and should be able to recover my investment over a digestible time period. Like I said in one of my earlier post's. I need support from the Pontiac community to keep going. I know the economy is bad, but it seems when people want something instead of need something. They some how come up with the money. Now justifying it with the spouse may be another problem all in it's own LOL.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V Heads !!!!!

Last edited by dci; 02-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The economy is not as bad as you think. There are pockets of good areas and bad areas. Guys with money will usually always have expendable assets regardless of the economy.

If it's cheaper to do an intake and a lower cost risk to test your market, then I would entertain that venture first. But then again, you need an original intake to copy which may pose other challenges.

What the wife don't know, won't kill her.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 66 alu tripower X over will not bolt up to a V head!It can be used to weld to custom flanges but it is diff from a V pattern.Tom

Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I think Don has designed a good race V head!I cant wait for someone to actually do a all out 1000 HP,2 HP per CI engine.I also want to see someone actually build a real street engine that will run on 91-93 pump gas,something in the 455-480 CI range with a 250ish cam,something that can be driven a 100 miles a day and in bumper to bumper traffic,in TX summer heat, no question about gas quality etc.Tom
Hmm...
Everything here to build a 440 to 496.
Just need pistons, heads, cam/lifters, and intake.
And upgrade the cage for 9's.
But if i do it, taint gon'a be a 5500 max rpm'r!!!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pistons are the same just swap the two center bores.Will need heads,cam, intake and exhaust.Tom

Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428RA4 View Post
But then again, you need an original intake to copy which may pose other challenges.
Does anyone know where any of the original dual quad intakes ended up?
As I recall it was less than a handful ever made.

I believe the V ran a tall distributor to clear the cross ram, not sure about the inline dual quad. Using an OEM Electronic might be a challenge, but I wouldn't let that limit the design. There's always MSD.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know of 3. All of which are not available to the best of my knowledge.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was told they made no less than 6 of anything!Nunzi and BOP has a single plane 2-4 for sure.Nunzi and Williams for sure have a dual plane 2-4.I have owned 2 short deck X rams and one tall dist.Tom

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot exhaust. Another 1000

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Someone should be able to get into tooling for around 15K. The problem is getting one of the guys to part with the intake to copy.

My car loves me. I feed her dollar bills every day.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK -

So here is my latest brain fart. I'm getting an intake made. A dual quad single plane intake based on the Ford tunnel port version. When it's done, and depending upon the end results, I would be willing to let Don borrow it for cloning.

Clearly this would be an alternative to getting an original intake which I believe shall be very difficult, if not impossible.

I also know of a company that can scan the intake and deliver files.

mike

Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck Don!
I am only about 10-15 minutes from you so once the first is ready to be unveiled, you may find me camped out on your door as if it is a black Friday sale! (I am still waiting for small RAV head keychains)

My opinion for as little as it is worth on the intakes – I would put all resources to the heads.
A high rise 2x4 or low rise 2x4 RAV stock head intake is going to be very very limited market. At the end of the day, how many stock head RAV race cars or street cars are really out there? How many of the owners will spend an additional 3-5K for a new aftermarket intake?

Best to put the resources into a new well designed head.
Now there may be merit to casting or manufacturing just a crossover for your head?

Brian

Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the big picture it's all a fools game and we are all fools. That's why we are called enthusiasts. No matter what you do Don, it will take a large investment with high risk.

Pick your poison, it's all viral.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For reference, a Hogan dual quad, flat top sheetmetal intake with water crossover would be $2700 (with no tooling or setup charges required).

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You are in the ball park, but it could go up to 4 grand once done. You (we) are asking for a custom intake that is not in stock. Clearly the price would fall if you are going to mass produce it with jigs.

I think the reality is, that if Don goes ahead with the higher head design due to the pre-work that has been done, I feel Don should entertain intakes from custom manufactures so he has options for his head buyers. It would also validate the project and give options to his customers along with some assurance that there will be a complete packaged options at the end of the rainbow.

From a manufacturing and business standpoint, I would go with a single plane intake with a removable top section so you can swap out from single to dual quad low rise configurations. That would make a lot of sense.