Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default QA1 Suspension

i was looking into this kit QA1-HK02GMB2 for a 66 bonneville 4 door, are the frames the same as a 66 chevy impala they have no listing for pontiacs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/QA1-HK02GMB2

Thanks for reaching out. The kit you listed is for Chevy full-size models (Impala, Caprice, Belair and Biscayne) models only. GM did not communize their full-size chassis until 1971. This kit will differ from your specific set up and will not bolt in as designed. We currently do not have a specific handling kit or individual items for your Bonneville at this time.

Thanks again for your question, I have noted your request for ’66 Bonneville parts for future consideration in adding to our lineup.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Old 09-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah its not the same.

Look up front/rear shocks for your application. Then see if it cross-references to any (for lack of a better term) more popularly hot-rodded car for which coilovers may exist.

For example, I found my 62 catalina used the same shocks as a 78 F-body so I got QA1 front coilovers for that year and they almost bolted right in, all I had to do was drill out the captured nuts in the lower A-arm.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wondering whats different the front control arms list as the same along with the rear sway bar

Old 09-09-2022, 10:03 PM

I know you asked about qa 1. Here is a link to aldan for your car.

https://aldanamerican.com/year-make-...position=front

Mario64

Old 09-09-2022, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter View Post
wondering whats different the front control arms list as the same along with the rear sway bar
The chassis and suspension on a 1966 Chevy was totally different from a 1966 Pontiac. There might be the odd nut or bolt that was used on both but that would be it.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Pontiac did major upgrading on their 1965 up B body cars. They raised KPI which really gave these cars excellent handling ability. You don't need a lot of positive caster with these cars, 2 maybe 3 degrees of positive caster is all that's needed. Keep the camber under 1/2 a degree and use camber to remove unwanted right side drift.

-Have Delrin bearings installed into your stock upper and lower front control arms.

-Use Bilstein shocks find out which ones by size instead of model of car.

-Call Lee suspensions and get one of their 800 series steering boxes with a 25- or 30-pound torsion bar.

-Get some Currie Johnny joints and some 2" pipe and make a nice set of rear control arms. Use there weld in bungs.

-Do Not Use Poly bushings and Do Not box rear control arms on street driven cars.

-In 65, Pontiac put some big drum brakes on their B body cars. I would keep them. Keep the 8 lugs, if you have them. There better then front disc rear drum brakes providing you know how to adjust the anchor pins and brake shoes, don't depend on self-adjusters.
Franks Pontiac parts is the only place that has 8 lug drums without any corrosion.

Last edited by 389; 09-11-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sounds good where do i get those