THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The m12 sawzall is nice working on overhangs up 30ft. Not heavy easy to manipulate.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Started with Dewalt 20v because they had more mechanic's tools at the time. Seems like Milwaukee has caught (or even surpassed) them now, but I'm all in with close to 20 batteries and 20 tools. The air tools just collect dust at this point.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I have some air tools, some corded tools, but mostly cordless tools.

I haven't had the issue of my battery tools becoming "obsolete" because of battery failure. All my batteries are interchangeable with all my cordless tools - even the one's I bought nearly 20 years ago.

Glad I didn't buy into a cordless system that becomes worthless when they make a design change.

FWIW - my cordless tools are all Ryobi.
I have all 3 types. I was given a couple of the older style "blue" Ryobi tools a sawsall and an impact driver. The batteries were on their last leg so I bought replacements and the tools work just fine. I also have two tools that are 40V Ryobi, a chainsaw and a leaf blower. They are on par with gas powered ones. I decided to go with the 600 foot pound 1/2" impact and it works great. I found the smaller batteries are useless on these type of tools and got a couple of 6 AH from Vanon and despite the bad reviews they work great and last a long time. My only gripe is with the keyless chuck drill, you just can't get it tight enough to keep the drill bits from coming loose.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had great service from all of my Ryobi battery operated tools. I used them to cut the roof on my Trans AM with no issues. Only one battery failure in 10 years.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-26-2022, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All three.

At this point in my life prefer corded electric; the cordless versions seem to be significantly heavier than the corded.

I do use the air impact when changing blades on the mower.

I have a 5 KVA generator mounted in a 2 wheel trailer that I pull behind the Gator, so have electricity anywhere I need it.

Thought I just had to have cordless (my son likes them), so bought a set of the various DeWalt 18volt a few years ago, but generally will use the corded versions.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:13 PM

I have almost completely switched to all battery powered tools, mainly Ryobi tools. I bought a 1000 ft/lbs Ryobi impact and it will power through those rusty seat belts bolts no problem at the junkyard. I still have some of the original blue Ryobi tools like drill, sawzall and 1/4 impact and work great with new lithium batteries. I also use a 12volt ACDelco ratchet at the junkyard helps with those long bolts, it has 45 ft/lbs and it about the same size as a pneumatic ratchet. I am starting to think I should just sell my compressor and clear up some space in the garage. I do agree that the Ryobi grinder with a cutoff wheel on battery will drain a battery quick even the larger 4 ah batteries.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM

At home, I have air tools. For work (I service golf cars on location) I have cordless tools with an inverter in van to charge batteries. Oftentimes, though, the cordless tools sneak into the garage on some projects. Gotta admit, I like not dragging around an air hose sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to jabgolfcars For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:13 AM
Senior Chief

I heard that the average cordless sawzall can remove six (6) catalytic converters before needing recharged.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 09-27-2022, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have some of all three types. There is no perfect tool for every job. Interesting thing I have learned though. As the batteries get better and better, the tools they work with are cheaper and cheaper. Especially the keyless chucks on cordless drills regardless of brand. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Snap-On doesn't matter. They are all crap and all slip. Brushless motor failure is also becoming common on the cordless stuff. The idea of buying a "lifetime tool" with any of the cordless stuff is a foreign concept. I looked into replacing the crap keyless chucks and they cost more than the entire drill. BTW, there are on-line sites that will rebuild the battery packs on most older cordless tools. I have had a few Snap-On 14.4V batteries rebuilt. They work fine now. MTO Batteries is one vendor I recommend. I have a very hard time throwing Snap-On tools in the trash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All three. Have switched all of my stihl gas yard/tree trimming tools for Milwaukee M18 Fuel stuff and no more mixing gas/oil or yanking on starter ropes. The high torque M18 1/2" impact wrench will dismantle just about anything in a heartbeat.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:26 PM

Pneumatic, corded, or hand tools for the most part. That's all I use on the cars and lawn equipment. I still have a battery operated Makita from the 90's and a newer Ryobi for stuff on the house and yard that isn't worth dragging out multiple extension cords to operate (on 3.3 acres of land).

Old 09-27-2022, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have and use both but if I'm going for a new tool and it's available electric, that's the way I'm going to go. On the other hand, if I already have a pneumatic tool that works I'm not going to replace it with an electric tool.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gas Powered:
Stihl chainsaws (3), backpack blower, commercial weed whacker.
Honda push mower, Billy Goat leaf vacuum, pressure washer, DR Trimmer (giant weed whacker).

Electric (cordless)
Too many M12 and M18 to list. Stand outs are the stubby M18 1/2 impact (can remove blades on the mower deck without lifting the tractor or removing the deck), M12 die grinder .. outstanding with roloc accessories for just about everything. Big M18 1/2 impact, M18 angle grinder. M18 leaf blower ... for blowing light snow off cars, porch etc. At least four M12 work lights, flashlights etc. M12 shop radio, M12 USB charger.
And of course all the ratchets, drills, multi-tools, sanders etc.

Ryobi weed whacker ... great for touching up around the house.

Pneumatic:
3/8 ratchet, pin scaler, air chisel, die grinder, 1/2" impact, tiny reciprocating saw (excellent for cutting body panels). Framing nail gun, trim nail gun, staple gun, palm nailer. And all the paint guns.

Corded electric:
Bosch sander, Bosch jig saw, Bosch planer, Metabo angle grinder, Dewalt hand drill, Craftsman (old USA) die grinder, Makita sander, Dewalt circular saw, Dewalt table saw, Dewalt chop box, Shop vac, portable compressor.

Sure I missed a bunch. Far as go-to tools ... usually the Milwaukee cordless stuff, use them every day. In general very happy with them. I hate cords and hoses ... but, sometimes you just need the power.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:25 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve been using Milwaukee. M18 fuel series for years . The 1/2 impact I have is a rather large but it’ll brake pinion and axle nuts no problem . It’s way stronger than my ingersol . My batteries are 8 years old and charge fine . I just came in from a brake job on my Honda . No hoses , no noise , down side is the price .

Old 09-27-2022, 05:23 PM

Starting to pick up a bunch of Milwauke M12 fuel stuff myself, not sure how they will work out in the long run. I swore by my dewalt 18V drills, they were heavy but took a beating. Still use air for rolloc and body saws.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep the Milwaukee impacts are impressive ... same here, considerably more balls than my 25 year old Ingersol pneumatic that was about $300 25 years ago.

I think the strongest impact I ever owned was a big honking Craftsman corded model probably 40 years old, made in USA, only 1/2 but it had some nads.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using mostly cordless now. Makita 18V. I sold most of my corded power tools.
My 1/4 hex impact driver gets used all the time. Anything from tiny screws to lug nuts to carpentry work.
My drill has no problem hammer-drilling for lag bolts or mixing concrete.
My 1/2 impact is a beast. You have to be careful on the highest setting because it can break some cheaper impact sockets. Pontiac and Honda harmonic damper bolts are no longer a problem.
My 5" angle grinder is a great tool with excellent battery life.

The advantage of cordless is I can take them anywhere. Recently rescued a neighbor with a flat tire and over-torqued lug nuts.

I still use my air die grinders and air ratchet because of their compact size and versatility. Nothing like the sound of an air ratchet to wake your neighbors up Saturday morning.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I love about the cordless stuff is mobility ... if the tractor/backhoe breaks out in the field there are some pretty big fasteners I have to deal with, no fun in hot/cold weather with hand tools. I can load up the quad with enough cordless stuff to deal with most any problem. Same deal working with the irrigation pump, fencing etc.

Roof top work, so much nicer with cordless.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm on Dewalt batteries mostly, but still use my compressor for painting, my " board file" , and 6 inch mud hog.
Once makers got rid of the Nickle batteries, the battery tool industry took off.
It will change again as battery's are still evolving.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:28 AM

All 3. Mostly use Milwaukee now, but I have a few Harbor Freight cheapo 1/4" ratchets for fine interior work that so far have held up well. My shop has a big Quincy compressor and is plumbed throughout for air, but sadly the air is hardly used anymore. Milwaukee are best.