THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:41 PM
Boost Engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlIfWcCJdI

Ford Lightning pulls train.

Pure advertising but you would think that if you were to have a fire that train test would have caused it to happen.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlIfWcCJdI

Ford Lightning pulls train.

Pure advertising but you would think that if you were to have a fire that train test would have caused it to happen.

Tom V.
Possibly, Is that a factory truck? Maybe not, it's a prototype. I doubt anyone will be towing a train though. Time tells all tales.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

another real world test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nS0Fdayj8Y

Old 09-25-2022, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ian-lightning/

Last month, someone sent me a link to a comprehensive article of C&D's August 2022 electric vehicle roundup. The truck portion is linked above. Includes a distance test pulling a 29 ft long 6100 travel trailer on flat ground. in the earlier test, the drivers each pulled the trailer into roadside avail charging units.

One thing I found beyond amusing, is in order to charge these tow vehicles, the long trailer had to parked out of the way & unhooked so the "truck" could then get to the charger! While the 10,000 lb Hummer EV pickup was the biggest, knocked the biggest hole in the wind, had the longest towing range, at a whopping 140 miles, it's battery was also the largest, took the longest to charge, & for that road side charge, it cost $110. Oh yeah, that's what we need!

Old 09-25-2022, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ian-lightning/

Last month, someone sent me a link to a comprehensive article of C&D's August 2022 electric vehicle roundup. The truck portion is linked above. Includes a distance test pulling a 29 ft long 6100 travel trailer on flat ground. in the earlier test, the drivers each pulled the trailer into roadside avail charging units.

One thing I found beyond amusing, is in order to charge these tow vehicles, the long trailer had to parked out of the way & unhooked so the "truck" could then get to the charger! While the 10,000 lb Hummer EV pickup was the biggest, knocked the biggest hole in the wind, had the longest towing range, at a whopping 140 miles, it's battery was also the largest, took the longest to charge, & for that road side charge, it cost $110. Oh yeah, that's what we need!
interesting read. The comments at the end are pretty spot on.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:16 AM
Boost Engineer

I paid $55 for the cheapest gas (with a Kroger discount) to put slightly over 1/2 of a tank of fuel in my GASOLINE truck.
Energy in any form is expensive now.

That being said it took me 15 minutes to get the fuel turned on (long line), and fuel the vehicle.
In simple terms ENERGY: currently is expensive due to refinery fires, hurricanes, and the time frame being the end of
the summer months. It would have cost me $100+ to totally fill my gas truck with a discount.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can buy a lot of gasoline for 80,000 dollars.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:46 PM

It's not hard to pay $80k for a internal combustion truck these days either. If a person is going to buy a new vehicle they'll want to compare the difference in cost between an electric vehicle and the equivalent ICE vehicle, but that's only one of many factors to consider when deciding which one to buy.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the test I was referring to same results, https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/f...wing-test/amp/

Old 09-26-2022, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Today I pulled a trailer right at 100 miles in my 5.7 Ram eTorque- 10 of them with the trailer empty. Prior to hooking up the trailer I had 230 miles of range. So 10 miles empty, 90 miles with either an 87 Formula or 72 Trans Am on it.

I had a range left of 111 miles. 230-111 is 119 miles. I just hit 100 so I guess about 20% loss?

Just a comparison.

Last edited by 1965gp; 09-26-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Roofy

I get tired of all the handwringing when the massive drop in EV efficiency when towing or in colder climates is brought up by people, but is then immediately dismissed by "the powers that be" as extenuating circumstances or not normal operating conditions. Most of those types either don't know or simply dont care that people actually live and work in rural areas outside of the cities, and driving long distances while hauling equipment, pulling trailers, or transporting supplies is a normal everyday occurrence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roofy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 03:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My next question would be how many vehicles that ended up in a cold climate started in a cold climate?

Old 09-29-2022, 06:44 AM

I'm open to anything that works. I don't care if it runs on peanuts. But... None of the ranges mentioned do much for me. 230 miles? That's not very far. So basically if you stay "local" its an option. And what is your plan if you go 150 miles then want to go home? Too much planning and time for me. Fill er up please. At least for now.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember a movie .. I think it was called "The Formula" .. with Marlon Brando as the evil president of an oil company. He was trying to explain their position to some guy that they were not an "oil company" they were an energy company ... he said something like .. "Don't you understand ... when they make cars that run on milk ... we will own the cows."

Electric, gas, hydrogen ... doesn't matter, we'll probably never own the cows

For my daily transport I could care less, long as it gets me where I'm going, is reliable, keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer and gets about the same miles/$.

Not really a fan of electric vehicles, not really a hater either .. before they go mainstream in the big way they will HAVE to perform as well or better than current vehicles in all categories or they will never saturate the market ... so it's kind of a problem that solves itself .. when they DO dominate, they will already be performing like the gas vehicles we have now ... or they will never dominate.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofy View Post
I get tired of all the handwringing when the massive drop in EV efficiency when towing or in colder climates is brought up by people, but is then immediately dismissed by "the powers that be" as extenuating circumstances or not normal operating conditions. Most of those types either don't know or simply dont care that people actually live and work in rural areas outside of the cities, and driving long distances while hauling equipment, pulling trailers, or transporting supplies is a normal everyday occurrence.
There are 18,000 people in a square mile in a city.
There might be 50 people in a square mile in Ohio farm Country.

All of the comments you posted, if you are talking about a small farm area in Ohio, are true. The E-Vehicles are designed to remove a portion of exhaust emissions in a large city that benefits thousands, in a similar square mile area, not a few hundred people in a farm community.

Tom V.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am excited for the backyard EV lawn art & U-Pull-it opportunities, for new Projects on the classy PMD bodies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 AM
Boost Engineer

30 years from now the Pontiac vehicle will still be a Pontiac and people will still own cars just like the 32/33/34 Ford people do.

We have plenty of the former Gas Powered Lawn Art in some farm areas of Michigan.
Neighborhood in those areas look like areas in Detroit. But in the country we call them Junk Yards.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you do when years when your truck needs batteries and they cost twice as much as the truck is worth? Atleast with my tundra if the motor goes i could put a used one in. I dought anyone would want to go to the hassle of installing used batteries in a truck to keep it going,,,,,or maybe they would.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I remember a movie .. I think it was called "The Formula" .. with Marlon Brando as the evil president of an oil company. He was trying to explain their position to some guy that they were not an "oil company" they were an energy company ... he said something like .. "Don't you understand ... when they make cars that run on milk ... we will own the cows."

Electric, gas, hydrogen ... doesn't matter, we'll probably never own the cows

For my daily transport I could care less, long as it gets me where I'm going, is reliable, keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer and gets about the same miles/$.

Not really a fan of electric vehicles, not really a hater either .. before they go mainstream in the big way they will HAVE to perform as well or better than current vehicles in all categories or they will never saturate the market ... so it's kind of a problem that solves itself .. when they DO dominate, they will already be performing like the gas vehicles we have now ... or they will never dominate.
There is a way to own the cow if you have residential solar. In three years, I've only spent about $130 for electricity. My solar system monthly loan payment was $50 lower than my average electric bill when installed. At today's electric rates, it's $70 less. I'll have the loan paid off in 9 more years and will essentially have free electricity after that. Granted that living in Texas helps with the sun exposure, but with correct installations, there's no reason a homeowner in almost any place in the US can't be free of escalating utility bills. And when it comes to electric vehicles, residential solar systems are going to be the only viable method to support the growth since there is no additional grid infrastructure required.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to srmmmm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Formula...lol I just watched that two days ago...holy obscure movie reference

I live in rural Manitobia. Tons of farmers just off the natural gas grid are borrowing $ to put in giant solar panel arrays. If/when it is paid off they get the juice for "free" and sell the rest to the grid.

It's always sunny here which helps.

I have a gas option where I'm at so I'll wait until the house kit is cheaper than a new roof.

EV truck - tempting but I don't commute anymore thanks to the voivod. It's going to be a few years before it can compete with gas.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread