Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2014 Ford Focus Daytime Running Lights

Anyone have a 2014 Ford Focus? I want to disconnect the daytime running (headlights) but can't find out how it can be done. The dealer I go to doesn't know either.... unless they do and won't help. Tho a friend says he found out online the dealers can do it. I've looked on YouTube and online but can't find how it's done.

I see them on the road with them off so it should be able to be done. Is it wiring or is there a fuse to pull and shut them off?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, It would have to be disabled with Fords scan tool. I believe it's in the BCM, doubt it Ford would do it for legal reasons.

TOM
Old 06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to a dealer last week and they said they didn't know how to it. Yeah right. LOL

To me they're dangerous. Reason is my wife pulled out of the driveway last weekend and went down the street. She never thought or realized the tail lights weren't on at all. And she was almost rear ended. I see it all the time around here at night and when the weather is bad when you need ALL the lights on. If they're turned off then people would realize they need to turn on they're lights... ALL of them.

Don't get me wrong, they have they're place for safety, but used different lights other than the headlights for DRLs.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know what your talking about. A elderly customer at work has a newer Suzuki and has been stopped two times for not having tail lights on. He doesn't drive at nite unless he is already out and trying to make it home. If they run DRL than they should be required to have auto on lights.

TOM
Old 06-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem isn't the running lights, it's the dash lights. I see people all the time running around without their lights on because they can see their dash without turning them on.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You would think someone in the auto industry would realize this. Wonder it there is accident data on this problem. Gary I think you should go to Washington and testify before senate and get this fixed!

TOM
Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I could I would Tom. I'm thinking of calling Ford this coming week if I have a day off. I'm going to throw it at them and see what they say. I'll go all the way to the Top Dog if I have too. I'm serious, it's been bugging the living daylights out of me.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM

The daytime running lights are programable parameter in the BCM (body control module). Your local Ford dealer should be able to do this. It will require the use of Ford scan tool.
Hope this helps. Jim

Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

DRL's are a safety device started here in Canada. As manufacturers determined that the best selling vehicles are the grays, dark blue, dark silver which tend to blend in with the color of the road, some gov't safety org decided DRL's would make these cars and others more visible. I find that this is mostly true. It becomes a problem for cars outfitted with DRL mainly at dusk because it helps vision at this time. A little bit beyond dusk and it is very obvious DRL's do not provide enough light for night driving.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah it does. Thanks Jim. I will get ahold of my dealer asap. As far as I understand it, there is no law here forcing the use of DRLs. At least not here in DE as far as I know.

Franky don't take my dislike of DRLs the wrong way. DRLs are good idea if used properly. They're a problem because people are too lazy to turn on ALL their lights when needed. The law in many states is "wipers on lights on... ALL lights... front and rear. ALL lights should be on in any type of inclement weather when visibility is reduced. The Big 3 and the foreign car companies need to work on a way to fix this problem.

Maybe a hand should pop out of the dash and slap them to get them to turn on ALL lights when needed.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agreed. There times during daylight hours when all running lights need to be on. Heavy rain, dark overcast clouds, etc. My wife is always in the habit of turning on the lights at all driving times. There are times when I'm driving and she says turn on the lights, and I say 'why?, I've got DRL' not realizing the driving conditions are not ideal. Advanced technology sometimes is not necessarily a good thing.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 07-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She's the same as me Franky. I'm always telling my wife to turn them ALL on when the driving conditions are bad.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of states require "lights on when raining" I think they should come on automatically whenever the wipers on. Problem solved.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Problem solved" as long as the taillights come on also.

TOM
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had them turned off yesterday. Yayyyyyyy! Cost me 50.00 but it was well worth it. Anyone else that comes to the same dealer will have to pay 100.00. At first the service department said it couldn't be done. So I said if you can't do it you don't get the 50. The technician said he could "probably do it" but wasn't sure. So I again said if it can't be done I'm not paying. They all thought I was joking. NOT! And All I got was that they're Safety related. Yes they are but only in certain circumstances and they you need ALL the lights on.

It took him about 30 minutes hooking up to the BCM. He had to dig to find the right sequence and had to download some program..... which he wouldn't tell what it was. Once he what he downloaded was in his computer and uploaded to the car they were off. And everything is now normal.

Come to find out, only the Focus SE model and up have Day time Running lights (headlights). All the stock 4 doors and hatchbacks don't. Stupid isn't it. You do one you do em all.

Even a salesman wondered if it could be done, as he had the same concerns I did. Now he's happy and wants his Focus' DRLs turned off. And he says he will pass it on to customers that don't want them on.

Now remember this. If you buy a new car new car or a used one that has DRLs, you'd better request they be turned off before you buy. Use it as a bargaining tool so you don't have to pay to have them turned off.... if it needs to be done by the dealer's computer tools. If you as the customer can turn them off then find out how when you road test the vehicle you want to buy.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My suburban is the same.If i push the parking brake on 1 click the lights go off.I have been pulled over for rear tailights out.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't mean to hijack but my wifes escape from the factory,if you use the remote start the car will shut off when you open the door.I found a youtube vid to disable that(dealer said it wasnt possible to disable).why would i want to start the car twice everytime i used the remote start feature.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem Joe. All of this is good to get out in the open. Not all of what the manufacturers do is good or safe.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"