Old 12-13-2022, 12:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default 68-72 door hinges

I rebuilt several hinges. One thing I noticed is that there are two sizes of the detent rivet that holds the detent arm. All the replacement kits use the larger rivet, which requires a larger whole to press the rivet in place. I replaced the rivet in the bottom hinges that were either wobbly or missing. These are all original hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	603456  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vol For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there's a further difference in the 68-72 hinges....starting in 70 the hinge has the lower stop cut off the main roller pin where the 68/69 hinges have stops on both upper and lower folds. I never noticed that before until I decided to rebuild the hinges I'd mixed and matched on my 71 from all my parts hinges I'd stripped off of 68-72 doors over the years. I also noticed they didn't change the 4 digit number stamped on the plate either so it was a running change.

when I chased these last summer I was able to find only the later style roller pin repair kit. it would work on the 68/69, it just wouldn't have anything down there for the stop to hit, but obviously they decided by 70 that one stop was good enough when they changed the design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 hinge.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	604205   Click image for larger version

Name:	71 hinge.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	604206