Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 04-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 326 and '65 Tri-Power?

Arnyone running one on a 326, and did you put in smaller jets to accomodate the lower displacement?

Old 04-07-2023, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
Arnyone running one on a 326, and did you put in smaller jets to accomodate the lower displacement?
FWIW, I swapped a 66 GTO intake, and carbs onto my 67 326 HO Firebird, back in 1969. I never touched the jets whatsoever. I never had any complaints on the way it ran, winter, or summer. It definitely picked up over the 4bbl Carter AFB that came on it. The guy that owned the GTO was under the impression that he would get better fuel economy, and not have to mess with multiple carb adjustments if he just put a AFB on his car.....
We traded even up, so I wasn't about to complain.....

With the original cam, and factory dual exhaust, it put out 225 rear wheel HP. Our Vo tech had a dynamometer newly installed, so as a student, I took the opportunity to use it.

Since jets are proportional to the volume of air being drawn through the carbs, the mixture should still be the same. Even if the volume is down from one engine to another. That's the way it has been explained to me, and the way I understand it.

Once in a while if you were at really low RPM and dropped the hammer with the mechanical linkage, there would be a tiny hesitation when all 6 barrels opened up, I just made sure I had enough RPM before I hammered it, or eased up on my foot until the RPM was enough to kick it wide open.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:21 PM

Not quite the same but I have a 65 setup on my 69 350 4 speed Lemans and it is fun. The engine has low compression 71 #94 heads so it would be a lot more fun with more compression. Again, need some rpm to kick 'em in properly but it feels, and sounds, like a bigger motor. It has a 3.31 12 bolt rear which helps too.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks., I figure the small center carb on the '65 unit will work good with the smaller displacement engine. Will open up the stock '326 2bbl carb and the tripower to compare what jets are inside. Don't know if the tripower was originaly made for an auto or manual trans.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use .061 jets in the center carb and .068 jets in the ends.

PM me and I'll send you the jets. Just need reimbursment for shipping.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 04-10-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks so much. I need to get to my storage and see what jets are currently in there. Might already be those.

Looks like '65 manual trans center carbs got a richer jets than auto trans carbs (61 vs 60).
Center carbs also got leaned out after '64.
Interesting.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...58&postcount=5