Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default am i getting to picky on my car

trying to get the rear spoiler to fit better ,or is this the way Pontiac did it back in the day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nn4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	606099   Click image for larger version

Name:	nn5.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	606100   Click image for larger version

Name:	nn6.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	606101  

Old 01-27-2023, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe enlarge the mounting holes for the caps. You can also try different end caps. You will be surprised how different the same end caps fit. Just aligned mine before tearing it all apart.you can sand the inside of the end caps to center section to get it closer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230127-132203_Gallery.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	606127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230127-132312_Gallery.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	606128  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 01-27-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Maybe enlarge the mounting holes for the caps. You can also try different end caps. You will be surprised how different the same end caps fit. Just aligned mine before tearing it all apart.you can sand the inside of the end caps to center section to get it closer.

i did make a bigger hole ,i will try to grind them and see . your sure do fit nice

Old 01-27-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you think they were aligned from the factory you are dreaming. bought trans ams new in the 70's and 80's. nothing lined up, decals crooked, exhaust tips pointing one way and another on the other side, runs in paint, carpet cut too short, doors were extremely friendly as they all had waves in them, i could go on and on. but i still loved them like no other.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
if you think they were aligned from the factory you are dreaming. bought trans ams new in the 70's and 80's. nothing lined up, decals crooked, exhaust tips pointing one way and another on the other side, runs in paint, carpet cut too short, doors were extremely friendly as they all had waves in them, i could go on and on. but i still loved them like no other.
Having been there and seen the second gens new, I agree 100 % with
Muscle_collector

Last edited by Formulabruce; 01-27-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
trying to get the rear spoiler to fit better ,or is this the way Pontiac did it back in the day
As others have noted... fit/finish varied wildly on these cars.

To get the 3-piece spoiler looking really right on most cars takes a level of finesse that wasn't in the cards at the rate those cars were built on the assembly line (probably about one a minute).

No reason to settle for that now, though.

You may need to do some or all of enlarging the holes to adjust positions of pieces, sanding, and maybe even a bit of body filler to get them right.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 12:49 AM
Senior Chief

After I get the top line straight across it’s a matter of getting the gaps correct. I’ll sand and fill. But don’t use ordinary filler. These are made of SMC, so use Evercoat Vette Fill. It will adhere much better than bondo.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
yes i can starting to see this as i am trying to get all the panels to fit better. thanks for the input . and i love these car too

Old 01-28-2023, 11:54 AM

After you get it fitting like you want and painted, then installing the weatherstrip throws it out of wack again. Going through that this week. Adjusted the lid lower to try and compress the weatherstrip. Will leave it like that for now and see if it settles in.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
After you get it fitting like you want and painted, then installing the weatherstrip throws it out of wack again. Going through that this week. Adjusted the lid lower to try and compress the weatherstrip. Will leave it like that for now and see if it settles in.
yes i learned that when i did my last mustang .once the car got painted and i installed the door weather-stripping the door never fitted right
thanks for your input

Old 01-28-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
Many trunk seals are WAY too thick... The only one I know of that is correct is the 1A auto trunk seal. They have a video on a Pontiac installing it.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this part made me laugh:

Quote:
... doors were extremely friendly as they all had waves in them,...
I read the first part, momentarily paused "friendly - huh?" - then continued... and laughed and laughed.

I agree, but I also know that if you have the trunk lined nice, that you can absolutely get them better than that.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)