Old 05-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Default New Pontiac Water Pump from Evans Cooling

I talked with Steve Prestley (Evans Cooling) yesterday and he said his company is going to offer a REVERSE ROTATION Pontiac water pump in their catalog. Same P/N as a normal pontiac but with an R on the end. If you want the RR pump and the "Ford Hub" (so you can use the steel Ford pulleys) then that would be possible but a special request deal by talking to Steve.

Good to have a new pontiac part. Will clean up the FEAD (front end assessory drive) pulley deal too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got plans for an order, but wanted to look into the ford pulley setup a bit further. There is a ford pulley that will bolt to a pontiac balancer without modification? Are you running a 1:1 ford pulley ratio?

Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally spoke with Steve Pressley today and the Ford hub version of the reverse rotation pump is only about $20 more than the standard pump ($200). Before I order the pump I too need some tech info.

What is the diameter of the Ford steel water pump pulley?
What pulley are folks using for the crankshaft?
What is the necessary water pump hub height?

Evans can make the pump hub any height you want when you order it but I didn't know what to tell them. Also, I'd like to keep the pulley ratio a bit high (1.3 - 1.4) since I have an overdrive and spend a lot of time cruising under 2k rpm. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"There is a ford pulley that will bolt to a pontiac balancer without modification?

No

Are you running a 1:1 ford pulley ratio?

No. Running a 1.2 ratio to spin the water pump slightly faster.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, I'll ask it...
Hey TomV, how's about a cheap serpentine conversion setup? Whatcha working on? I don't mind putting non-Pontiac parts on my car as long as they're quality parts (and I think OEM Ford junk is as good as OEM GM junk, heck the OEM stuff is generally better than the aftermarket). What's say good sir?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Not always designed to do what we want it to do on our cars, but OEM parts are the best for quality and durability in my opinion. I use them in my custom fabrication efforts when ever I can.

Of course I am probably biased, I do work in Ford Powertrain.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is OEM about spinning a water pump in reverse with a surpentine belt on a 1963 Slant 4 Pontiac? I guess I missed your point.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's OEM about it? Nothing, other than the fact that most modern water pumps operate this way, so using OEM parts (pulley's, etc) to cobble a serpentine system for our old school, standard rotation setups will be a lot easier- I.E. no 3-5 pulley/tensioner pieces required.
I happen to like serpentine belt drives- they are very clean; have low maintenance; and keep constant, proper tension on my belt and accessories.
This may not be the setup for you- a lot of people don't like the single belt setup- but a lot of us who beat on our cars like the design.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How did we get on OEM? The point here is that we've got a reverse rotation water pump source now, which has nothing to do with OEM. Tom, myself, and one or two others have spoken with Steve at Evans Cooling about producing these pieces. Tom got the whole thing started long ago for a one off project. When it comes to pulleys I couldn't care less if they are OEM or aftermarket as long as the ribs line up, the ratio is where I need it and they are steel. Since my preference is steel I look at factory pieces (i.e. Ford), but if I didn't care then an aftermarket pulley, like what you get from March, would be just fine. What's left... Tensioners. There is an item that deserves a little more scrutiny than a pulley. I know one thing... I'm not using an OEM Kia or GEO tensioner...

As far as "cobble" goes. I haven't heard or read evidence of anyone building a cobbled setup. I hear and see communication of pulley ratios, pump hub height, etc... Hardly a haphazard undertaking.

Last edited by 63Banshee; 06-02-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom V, you out there?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So - the water will go into the intake manifold, through the heads, and then down into the block, and then into the radiator?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original Pontiac (1955) cooling system had some external tubes that would take water through the heads, then down to the block and out to the radiator. This is what is commonly called Reverse Flow Cooling.
What this water pump does is have a reverse rotating impeller, so when it is spun in reverse (ala a simplified serpentine belt drive), it will pump water in the proper direction.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are these pumps available?
I am thinking of a serpentine system, and a reverse pump would help, or I could go to an electric pump.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karch View Post
Are these pumps available?
I am thinking of a serpentine system, and a reverse pump would help, or I could go to an electric pump.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a standard water pump (in reverse rotation) was what I was planning to do, I bough 2 of them from Evans. But, Im no longer using a standard water pump (cause Im not using a standard timing cover). So I have 2 never used Evans reverse rotation Pontiac water pumps. Still in the original packing and boxes.

Call Evans to see if they still offer them. Best impellar out there. You still need to set the plate clearance.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom, I'll give them a call.
I was having trouble viewing their website yesterday.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
The original Pontiac (1955) cooling system had some external tubes that would take water through the heads, then down to the block and out to the radiator. This is what is commonly called Reverse Flow Cooling.
What this water pump does is have a reverse rotating impeller, so when it is spun in reverse (ala a simplified serpentine belt drive), it will pump water in the proper direction.
Don't you need a "reverse" radiator, too?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed the Evans pump on my 72 Formula 400 engine runs 160 temps with the a/c on. Great pump with a huge cast impeller they say outflows the Edelbrock Victor. If you're looking for a quality water pump, this is likely the best on the market.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I just installed the Evans pump on my 72 Formula 400 engine runs 160 temps with the a/c on. Great pump with a huge cast impeller they say outflows the Edelbrock Victor. If you're looking for a quality water pump, this is likely the best on the market.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a pic of the Evans impellar design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evans_pump.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	181528  

Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't buy a FlowKooler, Edelbrock, Milodon or stock cast impeller pump, buy the Evans!