Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-23-2001, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

I recently bought a '65 tri-power setup and I need to know what the stock jetting was for all three carbs.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2001, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

I recently bought a '65 tri-power setup and I need to know what the stock jetting was for all three carbs.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2001, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It depended on what part of the country you were in, but typical was 69-63-69.

------------------
Jim

Old 08-23-2001, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my listing shows for the 389 engine with auto trans, front and rear 68 jets center 60 jet 389 with stick trans front and rear 68 jets center 63 jet the 421 engine with auto trans front and rear 73 jets center 60 jet the 421 with stick trans front and rear 73 jets center 61 jet

------------------

Robert Williams

Old 08-23-2001, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Robert - Where are you getting those listings? They do not match my experience. I can guarantee you the 64 tri-power (same carbs as a 65) for a stick shift car came with 69-63-69, as that is what I bought brand new. I have seen some tables of jet sizes that don't make sense to me. Under normal circumstances 60's are too lean for the center and 73’s are too fat for the ends. I have set up my own 66 tri-power on my 428. They are jetted at 70-63-70. The leanest I have seen (excluding high altitude) was an automatic California smog car at 61.

Old 08-23-2001, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim i got that listing out of one of my catalogs. as i don't have much experience jetting the tri-power and you have several years of experience i will throw my list out and copy yours. Thanks Jim

------------------

Robert Williams

Old 08-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, the published 'spec' for '64 manual transmission was 68-64-68. HOWEVER, all of us are guilty of just reading a manual and using a published figure. Rochester could and did vary calibrations slightly if for some reason the test units were off in performance. Also in 1964 and 1965, the S/T centers came with the short plunger power valve, whereas the A/T centers came with the long plunger. The A/T power valve would activate slightly sooner than the S/T valve. POSSIBLY (have never seen this in print, just my guess!!!) this is one reason the A/T centers had smaller jets. Check your email. Jon.

------------------
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks everyone for your input.
The '65 Tripower setup I bought is from a manual trans car.The center carb has 62 jets while the front and rear are 68's.I had no idea if this was correct or not,but by all of your help, I guess they're pretty darn close to what you guys have seen.

Mark

Old 08-23-2001, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

carbking - I got your mail, thank you, that was good information. As you said above, the tri-powers were hand calibrated. I spoke to someone many years ago that did this for Rochester. One of the things is the clusters. They were hand picked for the trips, yet there are no identifying marks to let you know. That is why you would always like to keep the original hard parts together.