Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Question "64 GTO MT Console Question

I recently purchased a rechromed center console for my '64 GTO and am in the process of restoring it. It's almost completed except for 2 items.

1. Does anyone know whether or not the console "box" is supposed to have any type of lining in it or not and if so could you provide a picture of what it looks like? Mine is just painted semi gloss black fiberglass only. If it IS supposed to be lined is the material available for purchase anywhere that you know of?

2. I still need a lid spring and can't find one anywhere. Any repro's out there?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

John

Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 PM

The August 2007 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines has a whole article devoted to the restoration of the console. It basically talks of the grey flocking sprayed onto the interior surfaces of the console.

Last edited by Eric Emerson; 12-15-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A guy in Oregon, or maybe it's Washington state, does it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 PM

It was Oregon in the article. A place called Ventures Unlimited (503)665-4544, but cost $116.68. At that price I would try to do it myself using spray glue and flocking available at hobby or fabric stores. I did the process on the carpet of a die cast model car and see no real difference.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Hey Eric,

Does this "Flocking" come in an aerosol can or is it a material of some kind?

Thanks.......John

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had so many GTO consoles, I can't recollect seeing any indications of flocking. Maybe after just a few years they completely wore away??

They are a textured grey, but not like the full size cars. Pete Klabo of Ventures Unlimited specializes in Fullsize cars and parts and restoration.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

you can get the flocking material from don jer online it is a bag of fine suede text and comes with a glue that you brush on that matches the color of the text. its almost like dust that you put on with a cardboard tube thats included in the kit for 30 dollars. since your console has already been cleaned and painted " smooth" inside it wont take but 20 minutes to do it very easy. the instuctions that i got with mine says if you cannot figure this out or think you may mess up ask a jr hi kid to do it for you

Old 12-16-2007, 02:42 PM

John, the stuff I had came in a plastic bag that I poured over the glue. Much of the flocking got waisted in the process. I lightly pushed it into the glue to help it hold. The kit that performer speaks of sounds like the way to go though.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:58 PM

try gary gto goodies he is in the middle usa somewhere but and his restore gto stuff he would know i dont have the link right now

Old 12-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone for the great information concerning the console flocking.

Anyone know where I can get a Spring for the console compartment door?

Thanks again......John

Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM

I believe the '64 is a grey-blue on the paint and the flocking. The 65 is balck o9n teh paint and flocking.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

light grey is for all 64-7 as far as i know on the flocking, don jer's color silver is really a light grey or close enough to it you"ll never know. i have some silver and some charcoal grey which is really just the silver and black mixed together i could send you a little if you wanted but you would have to come up with an applicator for this which is easly done.....use an old salt shaker with the wholes enlarged and a hole in the bottom to hook up a air hose and a regulated blower or just shake it on......after typing this it sounds easier if you just order the applicator for 5 bucks.....as far as the spring goes ill look up on my shelf where my console is i had a few extra springs but i gave alot of the extras away with a console i sold for parts. if i dont have it look up gtogary on ebay he can probaly help

Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the info. performer.

I ordered the "Mini-Flocker" kit from Donjer tonight. I got the Charcoal Grey since the Silver looked very light. The Kit's supposed to include all that I'll need and sounds pretty easy to apply. I wish they had it in a Blue Grey to match the console top paint I had mixed. It came out looking great. I guess I could try giving the flocking a coat of that paint after it cures but I hate to get too creative. I'll wait and see what the Charcoal Grey looks like.

Let me know if you find an extra Spring and what the cost will be. After that I'll be good to go.

Thanks again to all for the info.
John

Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the flocking will be soft but painted it will get hard..checking on spring .. charcoal grey looks good