Performance Parts For Sale/Wanted Just Performance, non-stock, trailers, tools and related accessories here.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if a car has no frame sag, will the spacers still install ok? or would every thing not line up if spacers are not really needed?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM
PY Staff -Tech

indetrucks,

"Oh ok, thanks! Did I read correct that your spacers will only work with the PY mounts?"

No, the PY number I put in for reference so you know what style they work with. They will work with any mounts made for stock applications as(GME149 64-72 exc.455).

FYI, I don't like to copy a whole post , takes up to much space and makes the responce hard to follow.

1969gto, the spacer are a tight fit but there should be no istall issues. They will raise the engine, they "should not" cause any issues but every car in different.

78 Olds Cutlass Drag car PONTIAC powered with 440 (destroked 455), th400, 12bolt with spool 4.10z
Best to date 10.00@130.92 mph at 3250#

79 Grand Prix, will be new home for the 440
Goal 9.75z@135mph at 2900#

83 Malibu Wagon UUV Crate 350, Custom T5, 8.5 with Auburn posi 3.73z
Making it the Ultimate Utility Vehicle
Go, tow and show (not so much show, yet)
Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Default Thank you for the explanation

I'm glad I read this thread. I am getting ready to put a new engine in my LeMans. So if I can find a stock set of motor mounts should I use those or should I get new motor mounts? Are there any other motor mounts out there that don't sit too low or is PY's issue the same issue they all have. Do they make these spacers anywhere else or when this person selling them runs out there is no place else to get them?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
Oh ok, thanks! Did I read correct that your spacers will only work with the PY mounts?

FYI*
Instead of hitting "reply" and copy/pasting my previous post in order to quote it, just hit the "quote" button on the right of the reply button. It will quote that post and you can write below it
Just savin ya a little time
I always wondered how to do that but figured it was a stupid question. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Went and got some 1/4" longer bolts and installed mine last night, just thought some may like to see them installed.

Looks like I may not have needed the longer bolts actually.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!

Last edited by 428GTO70; 07-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lets us know how the instal went please

Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1967 GTO 4Spd Spacer Mount Install Report

A little background first.

1967 GTO 4speed with Headman Headers.
I got the spacers because the center link was damn near touching the oil pan and the headers were damn near touching the frame rails/upper A-arm. The headers were leaking like crazy as well because they had those cheap gaskets.
I purchased 6 new 1.250" replacement bolts/nuts for the mounts.

-Removed the 3 bolts/nuts on each mount that bolts the mount to the frame. (this was relatively easy in comparison to the re-install)
-Removed all the header bolts (easy compared to the re-install). If you aren't replacing the header gaskets, you won't have to do this.
-Lifted the motor via Cherry Picker and manifold plate. The engine easily came up off the frame by about 1.5-2" (plenty to squeeze in the spacers).
-Squeezed in the spacer on the passenger side first. It was a bitch and took some patience, but was able to line up the bolts. I only threaded the 3 nuts on a little bit so as to give the engine some "wiggle room" for the other side.
-Spend easily 4x the amount of time on the drivers side spacer as the headers were in the way (yes, even loose they were in the way).
-After both mounts were finger tight, I then did the header bolts.
-Pass. side header went on nice and easy. Drivers side was also not so bad until I got to the last 3 bolts closest to the firewall. I had to remove the starter to get the bolt started and even then... it took a LONG time. WOW

Job is done. The headers don't rub ANYWHERE now and neither does the center link. SO HAPPY and these spacers are literally worth their weight in gold. I recommend taking your time... set apart 2 or three days (don't be in a rush) cause there will be times where you want to throw in the towel (this was more so on the drivers side header bolts for me).

Walk away when you get frustrated and come back with a fresh mind. I did this alone and yes, would have likely been easier with help (someone shifting/wiggling the block while I threaded bolts etc...).

It can be done though without removing or loosening the tranny bolts on a 4spd. Not sure about an automatic.

That being said... never again

Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nex time try the header bolts with the 5/16" head, it makes the center bolts much easier to tighten.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

There will be no next time....

Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM
PY Staff -Tech

2 month bump

78 Olds Cutlass Drag car PONTIAC powered with 440 (destroked 455), th400, 12bolt with spool 4.10z

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Suspended

Another situation occured after installation of the spacers , my whole front end sits up at least another 1/2 inch higher than before. Be aware of this!!! Also getting motor mount bolts back in thru the frame was a nitemare. Job complete, thought i was out of the water
NOPE!! fan blade hits all the way around the shroud!! Putting them in one side at a time was i fill wrong way to go. I got drivers side in easily had to raise motor up at least a whole 1 1/2 just to get pass side in. When motor came down motor mount hole where bolt go,s thru would not ingage in bottom piece!!. Be aware of all these things.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
PY Staff -Tech

Sorry to here about your issues, I will try and give you a hand.

First , the plates are only a 1/4" thick, so they alone can't raise the engine 1/2" , something must be binding/hanging up.

Here are the instructions from the original post from the street section:

"Installing with the engine in is a breeze, that's how we did it. No more difficult them changing the frame mounts.

Slightly unload the mounts with a jack,remove the 2 long mount bolts. Raise the engine about 2".

Now the fun part, remove the frame mounts. At this point we found the frame mount ears were bent, couple taps with the 5 pounder and they were flat again.

The plate and the mount have to be slipped in as a unit. We then aligned the holes, dropped in the mount to frame bolts and loosely installed the nuts.

We took out any play be pushing the mount/plate "up" , IE parallel to the frame, then tightened the bolts.

Dropped the engine down, installed the 2 bolts, done!

We did have to rock it side to side a bit to align the engine in the mounts but we had to do that without the plates also.

Just double check your hood clearance before closing it the first time!"

As you see we left the mount bolts LOOSE, so everything could be aligned.

Try that and let me know.

I have a plan "B" but have yet to need to use it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Nothing binding at all. Going to post a few picture,s soon. stay tuned!! Hole front of car is sitting up at least 1/2 taller even though spacers are 1/4. Still cannot use factory shroud around radiator, hits 60% around even with heavy trimming.Made life alot easier for sure on header installation with my new 1-7/8 tube headers. It could be the use of my new aluminum heads also bringing up front end compared to my cast units. Once again ill try and post how much front end is up in the air.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 PM
PY Staff -Tech

Are you saying the ride height went up?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are the spacers still available? The Paypal account still the same?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
PY Staff -Tech

Yep, all info is good.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser View Post
Nothing binding at all. Going to post a few picture,s soon. stay tuned!! Hole front of car is sitting up at least 1/2 taller even though spacers are 1/4. Still cannot use factory shroud around radiator, hits 60% around even with heavy trimming.Made life alot easier for sure on header installation with my new 1-7/8 tube headers. It could be the use of my new aluminum heads also bringing up front end compared to my cast units. Once again ill try and post how much front end is up in the air.
67cruiser, So you thought to blame the spacers that added maybe 1 1/2 lbs to the front end that may lower it .000001" from the added weight LOL!! Then just "Ho Hum" throw in "Oh ya, I removed 45ish #'s off the front end adding aluminum heads...LOLOLOLOLLOLLOLLLOOL. Nah, that couldn't be it... All the while others are sitting there scratching their heads in disbelief but rethinking purchasing spacers.

That's like saying you went .2 or .5 faster at the track because of the added spacers & everyone's like "Wow! Where can I get a set?!". Then later, "Ho Humm maybe the Eheads had something to do with it? But I'll post pics from the finish line so you can see that the added oil pan clearance did it...........

Just having my car on jack stands for a day or more adds height when it gets put back on the ground. I usually push down on it a few times bouncing it to get most of the lower stance back but may take driving around a little.

As for the fan now hitting. I would check the trans mount to see if its old a sagging.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Fool View Post
67cruiser, So you thought to blame the spacers that added maybe 1 1/2 lbs to the front end that may lower it .000001" from the added weight LOL!! Then just "Ho Hum" throw in "Oh ya, I removed 45ish #'s off the front end adding aluminum heads...LOLOLOLOLLOLLOLLLOOL. Nah, that couldn't be it... All the while others are sitting there scratching their heads in disbelief but rethinking purchasing spacers.

That's like saying you went .2 or .5 faster at the track because of the added spacers & everyone's like "Wow! Where can I get a set?!". Then later, "Ho Humm maybe the Eheads had something to do with it? But I'll post pics from the finish line so you can see that the added oil pan clearance did it...........

Just having my car on jack stands for a day or more adds height when it gets put back on the ground. I usually push down on it a few times bouncing it to get most of the lower stance back but may take driving around a little.

As for the fan now hitting. I would check the trans mount to see if its old a sagging.
would I have a height issue if I installed your aluminium block off plates

Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Senior Chief

I had my laugh for the day !

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take a set.........check your paypal.