THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Share your car "parking" stories from your youth

I was reading the thread about Mopar bench seats and there was a lot of talk about the merits of bench seats. Not the least of them was the "versatility" they offered during date night. LOL. So I figured a good, clean thread with fun stories would be good for a few laughs and strolls down memory lane.

So share your stories. Bonus points if you're still with the person.

I guess I have to start...

At age 16 in NY we had "junior" licenses which only allowed for day time driving. My gf and I were in my mother's Catalina (because i had the motor partially apart on my 340 Duster) (note: Pontiac related stories get bonus points) and we were "checking out" her high school. When we were leaving, a cop pulled in. I thought nothing of it. We both pulled up along side one another and I told him we were just leaving. He asked for my license, again, no big deal, I wasn't drinking or anything.

Then he said "we have a problem. You're unlicensed. Can't drive after 9pm." REALLY? No one adhered to that law! Besides, dude, give a guy a break in front of his lady! Sheesh!

Long story short, at about midnight he called my mother to come get me (who couldn't because I had her car, duh!) She called my brother-in-law to come get us before the cop impounded the car and "started writing more tickets." He was letting me off easy with one ticket for driving after 9. This guy must have had a ROUGH day!

About 45 minutes later, my brother-in-law comes tearing in (75 Cutlass, hot car) to the lot, tires screeching and all, my mother gets out of the car PISSED... AT THE COP! She was yelling at him for scaring the kids and causing trouble. My gf was MORTIFIED beyond belief as my mother drove her home.

My mom still loves telling that story. And I still smile fondly telling it because, you know, I loved that car.

PS A few months later that same cop gave my mother a ticket for cutting through a rest area to exit the highway (commonly done at that location).

We BOTH beat both tickets. Judge also yelled at the cop. Apparently be had a reputation for writing overzealous tickets.

469, M21, 3.42

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 11-22-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine got caught with his girl friend (now his wife). He said they were both naked when the officer knocked on the window. The funny part was, he said the Cop made them get in separate police cars and question them both to make sure their stories matched (naked!)

I was in tears laughing when he told me that story 35 years ago. I'll have to remind him about that.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All day and must one "friend" story?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shhhh...... the kids are reading this!
(or the grandkids)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, they can be rated G.
As for the above naked story, can you imagine that happening today? Those cops would be fired and the civil suits would by everywhere

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, back seats were the same size whether you had buckets or bench seat in front, so it didn't make much difference. I'd have trouble just trying to climb back there today - those damn seats must have shrunk over the years.

On the other side of the coin in the 60's while stationed at Vandenberg AFB, midnight shift working a three man strike team (SAC side of the Air Police) could get pretty boring. The area around base housing was pretty flat except for the canyons, so most dirt roads into the good parking areas were down hill. We'd kill the engine on the old tall Dodge crewcab and take our sweet time coasting down the road and up to the back bumper of a parked car. We'd wait until we knew we hadn't been detected, and then hit the headlights, emergency lights, spot lights, and siren all at once. Usually this was met by seeing the guy being bounced off the ceiling of his car. Then we'd get on the PA on full volume with instructions for them to exit the car. The kids were always thankful we'd let them go with a warning, but actually it would have been difficult to explain on a report why we were down there.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Besides drivein.When my girl friend and I would go to movies in the winter after movies we would go to Eat'n Park for snack. As t that time the girls would come to your car to take the order.When waitress would come back she would always have knock on window.They were 'steamed' up.Then we would share a french fry,one at a time in my dad's 64 4dr Catalina.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was young (early 70s), we lived out in the country. The area was sparsely populated, and my friends and I lived about a mile or so apart. We rode bikes everywhere and stayed out after dark in summer. We were around 14 - 15 at the time so our only transportation was our bikes.

There was an old dairy barn about a mile from my house that had been shut down for years. There was a huge barn that was in very bad shape, plus a cement block building I think was used to milk the cows that was closer to the road. A few local teenagers would park behind the smaller block building and make out.

One summer night, my three buddies and I were coming back from another friend's house and saw a car turn into the dairy barn driveway and go behind the block building. We waited a few minutes and one of the guys peeked around the side of the buidling to see if it was his older brother. It turns out it wasn't his brother, it was somebody better. There was a girl a few years older than us that lived nearby and rode the schoolbus with us. We hated her and her obnoxious younger brother. She lived right down the road from me, so I recognized her mom's big four door car (LTD, I think).

We knew her boyfriend, and he was somewhat of a wimp. We heard the doors open and close, so we assumed they were in the back seat. The plan was to give them a few minutes, then we were going to run out and grab the corners of the car and bounce it up and down while yelling and sceaming, then take off on our bikes.

Everything went as planned, except for the makeout crew's getaway. We scared the crap out of them, and one of them crawled over the seat into the driver's seat. Instead of backing up, they went forward. There was a trench a couple of feed deep that ran from the back of the barn (a block building with concrete floor) out to the pasture. The car went nose first into the trench, and was stuck.

There was a country store about a mile or so away, so we went there and used the pay phone to call the police and report something strange going on at the abandoned dairy barn. We rode back just short of the dairy barn and saw the police had already arrived and there were blue lights flashing. We went back to my house and had a good laugh.

The next Monday, one of my buddies asked her if she had a good time over the weekend. He didn't say anything beyond that, but I think she knew who was behind the prank. I halfway expected my parents to get a call from her parents, but it never came. I think they were too embarassed to admit their daughter was making out behind the dairy barn.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I loved the electric bench seat in the ol man's 64 Star Chief. If I said any more I'd have to shoot yas. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We were never caught, in spite of being in some very public places.

Now the BIL was caught short on a back road, with his girlfriend, in the family 72 Cutlass 4 dr. Cop talked to 'em, made them get dressed, and told 'em to leave.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the first memorable parking experience I had in a bench seat Pontiac ('66 Bonneville) was that I was going to see a girl I liked to study for an exam. Her dad was a tyrant. When I went to her house, I blew past the drive, had to back up to get to the right place, as I scooted along in reverse, I managed to clip off and crush her mailbox. We hid the evidence and studied hard into the evening. I don't think that was what you were looking for exactly but...

On line with what you were more likely asking: The experiences I had with the versatile front and rear '66 B body bench seats in the same car resulted in being with and married to my current love for 30 years. I don't mean the car, but I still have that as well. I mean, it is bigger than some apartments. No more details are required.

Now, a friend of mine's dad had a '75 Caddy with a big front bench seat. His dad commented to him one day regarding the Treetorn shoe prints on the headliner over the front driver's side. Yes, they provided a lot of real estate.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 11-23-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me and my buddies were always terrorizing parkers out in the country on our motorcycles. My one buddy lived on a big farm with hay fields which made for good parking spots. One time gf was in a good mood for parking and got stuck with my 66 GTO 4 speed. If the dingbat could drive a stick could pushed it enough to get out. Had to go get my buddy and now was time too go home. O Well. Another time noisy neighbor comes back and field to kick me out. Tell them beemergary is back here and then come back and tell me what they say. He goes and shuts the big gate that's always open. I have too open it and knock my back out of wack. Had to sleep on gf floor and have my mom come take me to a chiropractor and take time off work. Paybacks are hell

Old 11-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Smile

...back seat, serious business happening, another car pulls in and parks on my rear bumper, bright lights and engine running...me, after several minutes I decided it was time to leave, crawled thru the buckets, got behind the wheel and drove away...girl still in the back seat finding her stuff, she was absolutely beautiful, Marcia Brady type

...the car parked behind me also pulled out and stayed on my bumper so close I could barely see his headlights...I was 16 and driving a new 1968 GTO convertible so I just pushed it thru the gears as hard as it would go, he was still on my bumper...at around 90-95 my GTO was still pulling hard and the car behind me turned on it's red lights, pulled to the left lane and passed me like I was sitting still...state police !

...I slowed down fast, down shifted, turned off my lights and hit a side road ASAP... the green Goat once again disappeared into the darkness of the night...

...no extra points for me, never took her out again, never saw her again for many many years...last time I saw a pix, it would take the Jaws Of Life to cut her out of a backseat, apparently too many cheeseburgers have taken their toll

Last edited by 69 DAYTONA; 11-24-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 AM

...another quick story

...17 years old, new 1969 Chevelle SS 396 convertible and a really beautiful young lady...parked, my favorite spot, visibility for several miles...Deputy comes walking out of the corn field WTF, beats my side window with his flashlight and scares the crap out of us...I recognized him, worked with his son at a grocery store...he thought I was stealing gas from a farmer, pizzed me off being accused of stealing, especially when he knew me and the girl, but I was mostly pizzed over him repeatedly hitting my window with his flashlight...lost my temper, got out of the car and backed him up to the other side of the road, cussing him all the way...got back in the Chevelle, fired it up and drove away spraying gravel and dirt..saw him in the mirror walking back into the corn field dusting his shirt with his hands...next day at work, his son told me his dad (the deputy) sent his apologies

...no points here either, no idea what ever happened to her...young, had a good job, new cars, too many girls to count...life was good, LOL

Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 PM

76 Monte Carlo at the drive in, windows tinted black, getting busy.

"What's that noise", "who knows, who cares".

Turns out the flashers were on for a good ten minutes.

2008 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 TRD (5.7 381 hp)
1978 Trans Am w/69 428 (343hp/452 FPT)
1999 Black T/A, M6 (allegedly stock 325hp)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As for the above naked story, can you imagine that happening today? Those cops would be fired and the civil suits would by everywhere
Ugh...
Probably not?

Probably the boy would be arrested on statutory rape and thrown in jail.
Then have to live with a pervert record the rest of his life.

Adam have you asked your parents about their 'escapades'?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Adam have you asked your parents about their 'escapades'?

This came up during the talks of "submarine races" and inspiration point on Happy Days. Apparently, when my father removed his engineer's thick, black framed glasses popular in their day, and placed them on the dashboard of my grandfather's `55 Chevy at their favorite spot, that was "the signal." That's all I know and all I care to know!

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A HS gf had a mid 70's Delta 88 4-door (a '75, I think), bench seat obviously.
More than enough room for anything in the "Love Boat", front seat or back.

The romance only lasted a summer, but oh what a summer.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Borrowed my Moms car as a HS teen till I got mine fixed. Soon, the whole school was calling it the "Love Wagon" When I got it stuck in the winter, in a parking spot, and asked for help on the CB, well, EVERYONE came and Everyone knew LOL, still better than telling parents!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was never able to be accommodated by the back seat of my HS car (78 Formula), despite best efforts to make it work. Front seats had a console with shifter. The back seat, well... I'm 6'5.

But that car was fully responsible for making a "direct acquaintance" on a couple of occasions. Chicks always seemed to dig T-tops.

The T-tops came in handy for a friend and his lady acquaintance one night at the bar. They borrowed the car and were able to overcome the space limitations by popping the t-top off for more leg room. Respect.

Used to take my GF to the end of the runway at a local airport and park in my 77 T/A. Space limitations in a 2nd gen were still an issue, but we found new use for a shaker scoop as a headrest. And the heat from the engine provided warmth on those fall nights.

That GF is now my wife of 26 years.

A friend from HS would get freaky with his GF in the trunk of his 69 Olds 98. I didn't believe it at first, but I later witnessed the spectacle at an outdoor kegger after a football game. Creativity points for that one.