73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Default '73 Grand Am nose piece

I have a question about a new nose piece for a '73 Grand Am. I have always heard people talk about MotorRealm - one piece nose and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on those- if anyone has used or tried them. I found a place called Replica Plastics, that offers a three piece nose for around $450. I spoke to the president of the company and he told me that there would possibly be some trimming and fitment issues. Like most aftermarket parts you buy, have to deal with that type of thing anyway. I'm brand new to this site, looking forward to using it often. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one on my '73 back when they were still called InDesign. It was a great fit and looked perfect. I had zero issues with it and drove the car like that for years. Even now it still looks great and it's been installed for over 9 years. They were the go-to nose place for many years.

Never used the Replica Plastics part, maybe someone else can comment on it.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM

Default In Design Nose Installation

There's a couple of tech discussions over on the A-Body Site about the Grand Am In Design Nose that might interest you.

http://users.boardnation.com/~abodys...;threadid=5258

http://users.boardnation.com/~abodys...;threadid=7786

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Suspended

Cool Welcome to the PY site - Hang On for the Wild Ride!

MotorRealm (formerly called InDesign) is the only way to go in my opinion.

Our 1973 with a MotorRealm replacement nose installed below:

Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DO NOT BUY THE Replica Plastics GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Back when I had my '73 GA, the Indesign nose was temporarily out of production. With no other option, I purchased the Replica Plastics piece. I too spoke with the owner who talked up the part. When it came, I knew I was in trouble before I even had it out of the box. Long story, short- it was garbage. Shortly after Indesign went back into production and I purchased their nose. It fit well and was relatively easy to install. I think it took around 45 minutes to get it on the car and reasonably well fit.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM

I thank You for all the responses! I am glad to have received info on both types of nose pieces. The threads from the A-body site sounds like that gentleman had quite a few issues with the MotorRealm on his particular vehicle. So I guess it could be a gamble either way. But I certainly want to have the least amount of issues and the best product for the money. If I am money ahead to go with the MotorRealm product, I'm not opposed to spending the extra three hundred or so bucks! If anyone else has more input on either of these products, I would like to hear about it. Thanks again for the information. I've learned quite a bit in just a couple of days that I've been a member.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Wink Time and Money Saved with research

IMO & Experience: These noses take A LOT of work to make them fit...but well worth the time and investment $.
That comment by Goatless couldn't be more direct & on the mark re: Replica Plastics - stay away - is what I have read...but I can only tell you about MotorRealm by experience.

Recommend you take all comments here w grain of salt (mine included), and do what is best for your situation.

Keep us posted on your progress. Look forward to hearing and seeing your pictures here.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM

The Motorealm nose is great. My car is identical to Alvin's. I bought my nose and had a speedshop install it. They fit the nose and instead of shifting the hood and fenders they ground the nose down to fit the hood and fenders perfectly and built it back up with fiberglass from the inside. It looks great. I then purchased new stripes from Phoenix Graphics. The whole kit was only 99.00 dollars and were great and easy to install.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my InDesign(now Motorealm) nose probably 6 or 7 years ago, and glad to have it! I was thankful that someone was making a nose this good. This is as far as I've gotten so far, since I have other projects. It was pretty easy to get to this point. I know the red car has one on it too.