Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Doing some research

for a guy on the Turbo Forums. "Bottom Feed" Intake Manifolds.

Turns out that a guy I know, John Mihovetz, was running one on his car in 2010.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=307820&page=6
Re: John Mihovetz 6.25 @ 229 on a 4.6 Mod Motor (281 CID)
John does not fill our blocks, there is no HardBlok in our stuff, water only. We have designed a very unique cooling system. Water does not circulate between the block and the heads through holes in the head gasket. Our block and heads have the water passages near the gasket area "blanked out" with plugs. The head gaskets are custom and have no water passages in them. We have a special "water manifold" that provides water to the heads and the block seperately. It looks kind of tricky but it works great. Prior to doing this we had head gasket issues, not unusual considering we are running 11.25:1 cr and over 50# of boost.

May 2013 Video 6.05 @ 241 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7m9S-AIvg8

But the interesting part is the paragraph I have posted above.

Dry Deck engine, separate water feed to the heads and block.

Previously had head gasket issues, now the deal works great.

Food for thought for our boost guys (but most already know this deal).

Tom Vaught

ps 6.05 at 241 with a 281 cid engine in a Mustang is getting it.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sound great. Thought the 1st IA block was practiced as a dry-deck.

Is a dry-deck ever Streetable?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting that they retain water in the block and heads both. I'm dry-decking mine, so we welded up the water holes in the head surfaces (the IA II block comes that way). I will be running water in the heads only.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reverse cooled + dry deck,would'nt do it any other way on a big boost or big hp nitous combo,JMO.

Anyone who's fought to keep the coolant passages sealed on a motor like that would likely agree.

BTDT with copper head gaskets & O-rings on friend/aquaintances engine.
What a fiasco that was,learned a whole bunch about that deal in a very short amount of time though.

Streetable enough for these sorta builds,I mean lets face it,it's not like they're DD material.

There are also other things that can be done/kept an eye on as well.

But yeah,it's definitely one way to deal with issues like that.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dry decked and reverse cooled my combo (factory iron block and heads),it seems to cool as well as a normal system and I've not had any airlocks in the system. It uses an electric water pump,double o ring receiver grooves/solid copper gaskets/mild steel o ring wires.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be running my 59 timing cover and factory reverse cooling scheme with mods to allow modern heads... probably dry deck unless I explore an alternative I have in mind.

One of my 6x work pieces I've explored running a water manifold/rail with 9 feeds. 8 are directed at the valve guides and the center is directed to the outboard center head bolt. (of interest...the factory has what looks like a "radiator fin" in the water jacket on the ex center bolt boss. Almost broke my drill when I snagged it.)

Any way the nine holes are along the rail just below the valve cover. Half inch OD 3/8 ID tube. Total flow area is equal to area of water pump outlet for that bank. Water will exit from both ends of head(manifold face) to thermostat housing via normal crossover passage and same holes at other end of head.

If I dry deck some water will be diverted from the rear holes to rear of block... likely #8 or #10 hose... the bypass return holes on the 55-59 timing cover complete the block flow path.(my 59 block has two 1/2" holes just below the large core holes conventional cooled motors use for water to the block.)

This should emulate the 55-59 rev cool scheme... which used gusher tubes inside the head. The gusher tubes had holes to direct water to the valve guides and an exit at the end allowing a path outside the tube for water to get back to the front crossover inside the head and a much lesser amount to flow down into the block.

Water in the 55-59 block, return flow into water pump through a @ 1/2" hole each bank...the large block holes were blocked off. Those 1/2" holes served primarily as the thermostat bypass when coolant was below thermostat open temp. (faster warm up). Majority of coolant flow(85%?) 55-59 was thru the heads NOT the block. (water pump itself was fed water from bottom of radiator just the same as conventional Pontiac)

Most liquid cooled two strokes(which make big heat btw) pump water thru heads and the water in cylinder jackets basically falls in from the heads and convection/vibration circulates it out of the block back into the head. Heat rises, cold sinks...

Check out the 55-59 Pontiac production reverse cool scheme... 40+ years before reappearing at GM on the LS.
http://www.pontiacsafari.com/EngineCooling/index.htm Note deck changes for 1960 when they went conventional.... damn bean counters.

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/55/Shop...ubrication.pdf

57 manual says a 170 degree thermostat was standard equipment. http://www.pontiacsafari.com/57/Shop...%20Cooling.pdf

My alternative to dry deck would involve some type of sealing ring around each deck hole... vs relying on just the gasket... I'll see how industrious I feel when I get there. Much along the lines of Marty P's no head gasket setup.

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 02-04-2014 at 11:34 PM.