Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Darksider number eight

Against common sense and perhaps even sanity another darksider is working its way to the The Break Away Squad. A 69 2 door hardtop Catalina in Matador red with black Cordova top and black cloth interior.

Condition rather than option desirability was the motivation. 29k miles, one owner and a real rustfree garage kept survivor. Interior is incredible original, if you know the many weaknesses of the 69 dashboards this one is almost erotic in its minty condition..

It isn’t perfect, nose piece is deteriorating, has a vintage alarm set up that sadly includes a key switch drilled into the front fender. Also was zebarted new so some holes drilled here and there. Small dent where fender meets bumper but it should pop out without paint. Also one bubble in the Cordova top at the back window. Oddly the bubble is three quarter of the way up one side so I suspect it is a defect where the quarter is welded to the roof rather than typical water-dirt accumulation along the bottom.

Option wise this car is 100% typical northeast dealer inventory; standard 290 horse 400, TH400, power steering and power drums, AM radio, remote mirror, whitewalls, Cordova top and decor group (deluxe steering wheel, bright roof moldings, deluxe wheelcovers, pedal bright trim and a bit of extra sound deadner). The decor group was mandatory if you wanted the Cordova top. At delivery the dealer added factory door edge guards and floor mats. The only oddity is the lack of even a soft-ray windshield.

Luckily I have a minty spare nosepiece that just needs a shot of Matador, also the back half of the exhaust is typical bare steel muffler shop stuff and no resonator so a call into Waldron is due. I’ll keep it single just for the heck of it.

Hopefully I’ll get it home soon despite the major border hassles! The car is still I the Pontiac Michigan area where it was born and lived till today. Got the PHS last week, sold new in Ferndale,

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)