Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the full size of the motor on the dyno pic.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Boost Engineer

One the back wall is a black rectangular spot above the 4 plug electric box. The black spot is the lower part of an Air/ Fuel Meter on the cell used by Steve Morris and Kyle K. As was mentioned earlier, the air/fuel numbers documented on the dyno data sheet were incorrect as there was a sensor reading off-set. The actual air/fuel readings were monitored during the pulls by using the black air/ fuel meter display mentioned above. Wrench, you can see WHY the 10 rib belt did not slip on the dyno testing with the excellent belt wrap angles designed into the Luhn Performance brackets / belt adjuster system. A belt slips (even when severly tightened) because the "non pull" of the belt flops around and gets air in the grooves. The adjuster/idler/ automatic tensioner in the Luhn Performance set-up keeps the belt tight against the supercharger pulley

Tom Vaught

ps The dyno is capable of 3000 horsepower.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-09-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Man that looks nice!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does Luhn have a kit for a Vortech X, XX or YSI trim?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/

Last edited by R 70 Judge; 07-09-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Dunno...but you can get a nice nitrous kit for ya

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't know but you can give him a call at 414.762.2220

Quote:

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
The bracket you see for the picture on the dyno was designed for a YSi supercharger.
That is a 1200+ hp head unit.

The X-trim and XX-Trim head units are physically bigger and would require that the supercharger be moved outward to clear the valve cover. This is a easy modification for Luhn performance as they have all of the technical data (from Vortech) for the different
unit mounting locations and all of their design work is using CAD.

How much power do you really want to make? Bad69bird's buddy "Mike" went mid 8s with a YSi on his Nova.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup! 8.58 @ 157MPH 3400lb car

Quote:

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird View Post
Yup! 8.58 @ 157MPH 3400lb car
Is that it!
Damn

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The bracket you see for the picture on the dyno was designed for a YSi supercharger.
That is a 1200+ hp head unit.

The X-trim and XX-Trim head units are physically bigger and would require that the supercharger be moved outward to clear the valve cover. This is a easy modification for Luhn performance as they have all of the technical data (from Vortech) for the different
unit mounting locations and all of their design work is using CAD.

How much power do you really want to make? Bad69bird's buddy "Mike" went mid 8s with a YSi on his Nova.

Tom Vaught
Mid 8's is plenty fast enough for what I want to do. I'm looking at a combination for down the road. I've always loved forced induction set ups and I plan on doing one after I run my car N/A for a while. It's nice to know the parts are available and I don't have to reinvent the wheel. YSI would be my first choice. It's a great blower. I was really close to grabbing a X trim I came across since it was so cheap, but I talked myself out of it. I don't think an X trim would fit without moving the engine back a lot. I don't have much room to work with in a '63 Tempest.

I'm trying to stick to putting my current combination together since I already have everything (damn near) to finish it. I just mailed out my 1150 Dominator to Patrick at ProSystems on Saturday. After that I just need to pick up some rockers, have my ATI balancer rebuilt, and then off it goes for machining, assembly, and dyno

It's just really hard to stick to finishing what I have when I see these blower engines

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Senior Chief

Maybe this will help you decide.

Here is a video of the new Procharger D1SC kit with optional power steering, alternator and AC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dH2-ycE5o

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to X72GPX
Default Fuel System

Can someone provide insight as to what the fuel system for this Luhn setup would be? Robb Mc mechanical pump? Aeromotive electric? 8AN lines? Return lines? Regulator?

thanks

Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post
Can someone provide insight as to what the fuel system for this Luhn setup would be? Robb Mc mechanical pump? Aeromotive electric? 8AN lines? Return lines? Regulator?

thanks
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=690517
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=690510

Call Luhn for details of the kit and fuel requirements.

IMO you should have a pump that supports far more than the 800 HP these kits make.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

A base fuel system for use with a blow thru carburetor supercharged system would consist of a -10 line from the tank to the pump, a -8 pressure line and a -10 return line. It would use a boost referenced (on a 1:1 ratio) fuel pressure regulator and an electric fuel pump that makes 15 to 120 psi of output pressure. Generally an efi type pump is used to guarantee the pressure needed when under boost conditions.

Here is a link to what we call a stage 1 pump from Magnafuel that would handle most of our street kits:

http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/pumps/MP-4301.htm

We use Magnafuel and Aeromotive fuel products. Our favorite boost referenced regulator is the Aeromotive 13202 with 1:1 boost to pressure ratio increase.

We have customers successfully running the Robbmc boost referenced mechanical fuel pumps with supercharger boost levels less than 10 lbs.. With that said you would be leaving 40 to 50% of the power on the table.

Fuel pressure is important but the whole system is more important especially the part about the flow thru regulator and the size of the lines.

As long as you have an electric fuel pump that can handle the base pressure (6 psi for a Holley 4150 carburetor) plus the amount of boost you are planning to make (say 12 lbs. of boost) multiply that times 1.5 for a margin of safety and you will have enough fuel pressure to feed the system. Again if you decide to turn the boost up to say 18 psi then you would have to recalculate your pressure needs.

A safe fuel pressure delivery system will provide 45 lbs. of pressure.

If you have any other questions or looking to discuss a specific situation please give us a call.

Thank you,

Herb

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default BT carburetor

The other parts of the fuel delivery system are the blow thru carburetor (or EFI) the intake manifold and the air intake or "hat" bringing the boost pressurized air to the carburetor.

There are two general types of carburetor hats, the 90˚ traditional style and the new Vortech Power hat which is a 360˚ type hat.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=176

The air coming out of the supercharger is hot and moving at a high velocity. We have experienced many times when going directly from the supercharger to a 90˚ type hat that the air smashes into the bottom of the intake creating rich and lean cylinders. Combine this with the compressed heated air around 300+˚ F you are going to burn up parts.

We have had no issues when using a 90˚ or 360˚ hat when used with an air to air or air to water intercooler. The intercooler slows the air down and cools the air, both positives in a boosted situation.

The blow thru type carburetor must use a boost referenced type fuel delivery system to provide the necessary fuel under boosted conditions. We use a system that references the air in the hat thru the carburetor stud. This sends the boost pressure signal to the modified power enrichment circuits to provide adequate fuel for the load sensed.

A general rule of thumb for us on an 800 Hp level supercharger system we recommend an 800 cfm rated BT carburetor.

Up to about 1200 Hp we use an 850 BT carburetor. After that we start looking at dual needle and seat float bowls and 4500 series carburetors.

We run single plane single four barrel intake manifolds. The intake manifold “size” (size = plenum volume) depends on how the system is designed.

A Tomahawk/Hurricane single four barrel intake manifold works great at the 1200 flywheel Hp level when combined with an intercooler (properly sized to minimize pressure drops) and a 360˚ type hat.

If you choose to remove one or both of the air temperature and air velocity items than you must pick the largest plenum volume intake you can find and add about 2” of spacers.

In some high Hp situations we will modify the plenum area of an intake to help equalize the distribution to the cylinders. At this point we would look at going with EFI and using a fabricated intake manifold and a single blade throttle body.

I hope this helps clear up the types of components needed to have a successful boosted project.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

almost makes me wish i went blower instead.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post

thanks
I run an Aeromotive Eliminator pump, A2000 boost referenced regulator, -12an to the pump, -10an from the pump forward, and -10an return. Granted my setup is way overkill for what I have now but I wanted room to grow. I know magna fuel makes good stuff for blow-thru.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Boost Engineer

The Fuel System used on the dyno test was the one used on Steve Morris Engine Dyno.

This system can support 2400 Horsepower so it was over-kill for the 863 HP engine test.
(WE KNEW WE WERE SAFE THOUGH)

MAGNAFUEL 750 FUEL PUMP and a MP9940-B MAGNAFUEL REGULATOR USED ON STEVE MORRIS DYNO.

The Aeromotive 13202 fuel pressure regulator has been the typical 1600 hp regulator of choice for years. Both are 1 to 1 regulators.

Tom Vaught

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to beat a big Magnafuel fuel pump. I have the Magnafuel 4303 (mounted in the tank) and the aeromotive 13110 PRO EFI regulator. #12 inlet/outlet to filter, #10 to the rails, #8 on each rail and into the regulator and #10 back to the tank. No idea what kind of power Ill see from my engine, but Im confident that this fuel system will be overkill no matter what the power level is.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to X72GPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ogpsj462 View Post
almost makes me wish i went blower instead.
Dont knock what ya got- Turbo Grand Prix- that's awesome! Love to see it sometime if i am in the philly area!