Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome thread and very informative. Got me thinking about next project. Something pretty mild can get wild really quick going this route. I have a couple questions for the experts hanging out here. First....I have seen superchargers run directly off the crank. Is this a possibility or is packaging for a street car a deterant? Also, my car is a second gen bird with limited hood space. It has a N/A carbureted 464 making somewhere around 500hp. Trying to design a closed fresh air system instead of the open element air filter. Is it possible to use a carb hat and tube running to rad support with cone style air filter?

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Crank drive and reverse rotation packages

Thank you TJ for your comments.

We are trying to explain what it takes to create a successful boosted scenario that has a good value and is extremely reliable.

The attached pictures are the components that we are using to create a crank driven supercharger package for a street driven 1968 Firebird.

This uses a front mount crank drive that bolts to the IAI or IA II type blocks (Thank you Bob and Frank for the technical drawings). It will use our custom designed harmonic balancer coupler to the input shaft of the gear drive and bolt up to the new Vortech V28 supercharger capable of 2400+ Hp.

So yes to answer your question we are currently building one street car setup with a crank driven supercharger and have two other builds in the works.

For this application we will be running on E85 at first and then on methanol which will allow us to minimize the cooling issues with a side mount radiator and run without an intercooler. The E85 is going to be a low boost BT system around 1600 Hp and then crank it up with the methanol and EFI to around 2000 Hp.

We are in the process after designing the Paxton passenger side mount kit (see link below) of designing a new reverse rotation passenger side mount supercharger kit for the 2nd generation F-body cars that will allow fresh air to come directly from the front of the car to the supercharger inlet. Just like you mentioned about going direct to the radiator support with the fresh air intake.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=691534&page=2

See post number 29 for the Youtube video link of the Paxton kit.

With the reverse rotation the inlet of the supercharger now faces toward the radiator side (front) of the engine compartment.

The air to water intercooler mounts in front of the passenger side wheel well and it will all fit under a stock shaker assembly and factory shaker hood. When you lift the hood the shaker will be mounted to the engine just like the factory intended it to be.

The system will be available with the T-trim or YSi-trim Vortech blowers or with the D1SC or F1 series Procharger blowers.

We will update as progress moves forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear drive - blwr.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	278716   Click image for larger version

Name:	V28 vortech 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	278717   Click image for larger version

Name:	V28 vortech 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	278718  

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default gear drive set up

I should have my set up here in the next few weeks. I will post some pics of it as soon as it shows up. Really gotta thank Chris Jr. at Chassisworks for working with me on it. And BOB at AP for all his help too. Be nice to see we will have a few options out there for Pontiacs soon. As your system is set up for the smaller Superchargers. The one I have been working on will be for the larger F-3's and V-128's Respectively. So that should cover both street and Full race apps for most of the guys out there if they are looking to do gear drive set ups.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Boost Engineer

I do not know where you got the idea that the Luhn Performance Crank Mount set-up was designed for the "smaller superchargers".

Know for a fact that the same supercharger that Chris Alston uses also is going to be used on an Luhn Performance Australian customer's vehicle.

Also, I would SERIOUSLY DOUBT that Luhn Performance (who has a long history with Steve Morris Engines) would not have to ability to mount the largest units from either Supercharger source. Where do you come up with this stuff? By the way the correct designation for the largest Vortech Supercharger is the Model V-28 (123A Trim). (There is no V-128 model supercharger)

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default size

Hey Tom,
Was just going by Marks line "The system will be available with the T-trim or YSi-trim Vortech blowers or with the D1SC or F1 series Procharger blowers. " If i assumed something from the way he wrote it in the last post sorry.
Didnt mean to step on any toes. Just want to let guys know there is another option out there very shortly for guys interested in Gear drive set ups.
That the Chassisworks system will work with the F-3's, and as You corrected me the V-28's. I missed typed the 128, you are correct its 123.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies on my questions. I should have been a little more clear on the second question. I know this is boosted section, but can't find any info on this subject. My current combo is naturally aspirated. I am wondering if it would work to use a carb hat or enclosure with piping and cone filter instead of conventional 14" round filter with carburetor.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.