Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Nice to see a name from the old days

Brandon Switzer at Speed Tech

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...df9f21a6fbe208

Post by Darin Morgan on Speed Talk

by Darin Morgan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:37 am

This is one of those questions that I cant answer as in depth as I would want too. I wont quote NA numbers because they are not that important and not very impressive. Its easy to make a lot of peak power especially with one of these things. Getting them to rev higher and rev faster has been our main focus. These engines are BIG and everything about them is BIG and heavy. They have big bores, large span over the wrist pins and a lot of piston flex. If you could redesign the piston so that they would not distort under dynamic loading, it would make a lot more power wouldn't it? They are low compression engines that are under valved from a normally aspirated stand point but introduce a freezing oxygenated fuel mixture and things change radically. They are NOT anything like a Pro Stock engine and you cant approach them the same way although much of what we have learned building Pro Stock engines has helped immensely! N2o is really nasty stuff when its not tuned right but when it is, stand back! Brandon Switzer at Speed tech has done some awesome (and I do mean AWESOME) N2o injection systems that make our job as engine builders a lot easier. It has been an education for me that's for sure. The next generation will be the 5.200 bore space engine. You can put a 4.950 bore and a 5.185 stroke in them and end up close to 800cid which is the maximum displacement allowed by the sanctioning body for that bore spacing block. I dont think we will use that exact combination but that's the maximum you can put in them. The Prototype heads are being worked on and so are the blocks but you will not be seeing these monsters out on the track any time soon. Its a new animal and it will take a while to tame it.

I have been asked if I miss Pro Stock. I do because I have spend 15 years of my life doing it but I have to say that I am having a lot more fun with these things. Its not as much pressure and the gains come a lot faster and easier. Brad and I have had a lot of fun with them."

Just My Opinion but when an expert on power like Darin Morgan says "Brandon Switzer
is The Man" it might be worth a phone call to discuss your program with him.

Info:

Brandon Switzer was sponsored by Keith Wilson in his early racing days.

Brandon is VERY smart on NOS systems.

Brandon was very fast in the old Super Street days.

I have personally known Brandon for a long time and he is a straight shooter.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.