THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You not supposed to pi$$ them off Greg. Your supposed to kill em and eat em. Pi$$ em off too much and they'll seek revenge.... They probably get their own air rifle and shoot back at ya. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why I bought this rifle. I got fed up with the varmits invading my attic every winter and while I was in that humor, I happened to see one running around in the shrubs near the house. I grabbed my son's old BB gun from when he was 8 years old and popped him. Musta hurt like he!! because he called me every name in the book and limped back down into the woods. I decided it was time to upgrade....but if I can't hit 'em....
I haven't eaten a squirrel since I was about 10 years old..and I don't plan to if I can help it...Rats with bushy tails...lol
My real point though is this...I can usually hit what I aim at with a rifle, air or not.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Break guns that have the scope mounted to the receiver will have some issue with POI as the barrel HAS to go back in exactly position and that is alway suspect.For best results a scope base that mounts to the barrel and has a extension that puts the scope in the proper eye relief is the best.The old break down browning 22 auto used a scope mount like that.For every day shooting the accuracy is usually good enough.Tom

Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting point Tom. Never thought of that but it makes sense. I'd be satisfied if I could get consistent 4" or so groupings. I think it ought to be capable of that.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mount a laser pistol scope to the barrel.It has a long eye relief

Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Mount a laser pistol scope to the barrel.It has a long eye relief
Yeah, longer than the pellet can reach out and touch that varmint. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might try cleaning the barrel too, could have lead build up. I know my cap and ball revolver shoots poorly once I've fired 30+ rounds through it.
FWIW

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 01-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not that much into guns either but I got this theory from AirArms support when I was looking for a new spring and wanted an upgrade giving me more fps. They said that my gun was optimized and higher fps would give less accuracy.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting points. I can't imagine it had lead buildup out of the box...but mebbe so. May also be true about spring optimization but this is the one they built it with....so...
At any rate, right now I'm waiting to hear from them.
I've got a few of the cap and ball revolvers and the soot builds up on them so quickly that the cylinder will barely turn after 20~25 rounds. I haven't fired them in years.
I like the laser idea. Sounds like fun.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cleaning is essential just as with a firearm. In the aforementioned old Sheridan blue streak, I fired felt cleaning wads soaked with Hoppe's solvent through the barrel until they came out clean. Then periodically after that.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 01-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
My 12 year old has a couple of the cheapie .177 pellet rifles.
I've fired them enough to adjust the cheapie scopes on them.
All I know is the squirrels, grackles, and crows are scarce around my house now.

The pointed pellets fly far more accurately than the blunted ones.
Be careful shooting grackles and crows. They're PROTECTED under the Migratory Bird Protection Act(federal offense to shoot one).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the reviews on this air rifle are overall good from what I have seen online. Of interest thought was a review and the grouping that they were able to get at 50 yards.

Five, five-shot groups were fired with each pellet type from sandbags at the noted distance of 50 yds. The tightest group fired was 1.25″ using the PBA Platinum pellets, but that one was almost an anomaly as the next smallest groups fired were 2.5″ with the Platinums and a 2.12″ group with the Meisterkugelns. The largest group recorded was a dismal 6.25″ with the PBA Copper bullet, which as a whole shot the worst groups of the three pellets with the tightest of that line being a 3.25″ group. Most of the groups overall fell in the 3″- and 4″-realm, making this gun too inconsistent for shooting game reliably at 50 yds. Bringing the targets in to 25 yds., however, brought the groups closer to the 1″ (Meisterkugeln) and 2″ (PBA Platinum) sizes. That should allow for making accurate shots on squirrel-sized game and enable this latest offering from Gamo to live up to its name

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sometimes missing an 18"X18" target at 40 yards. Missing the target completely! The 99% that do hit it are basically spread all over that 18" target.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you had anyone else shoot the gun? How did they do? Can you exchange it?

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No one else has shot it. I would be thoroughly humbled if someone else could do much better with it. I can't imagine that I'm suddenly that bad of a shot.
I'm sure I can return it. I'm still waiting to hear from customer service before doing that though. I'll give them 'til next week at the latest to at least address the issue with me.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 PM

I bought a Benjamin 1100xl a couple of years ago and had the same issues getting it to group well. Last summer I found a GTA forum (gateway to airguns). I disassembled the rifle and polished the cylinder, replaced the piston seal, installed a charlie datuna trigger and relubed everything with a moly grease. These changes made a world of difference. From what I read on there, you should shoot at least 25 shots of a certain pellet down the barrel and to try different pellets. For mine, the heavier pellets shoot better. I bought about 6 different kinds of pellets from pyriamid air when they had them on sale to try.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gee, I hope I don't have to go through all that with it. I haven't even had it a week. I like the idea of the forum though. I may check that out.
As for pellets, I've fired over a hundred and two different types so far. I really think the scope reticules are drifting. After the guy adjusted it it with the bore scope deal, it was accurate for about 5~10 shots. The next day, and today for that matter, it's firing about 6 inches high at 40 yards or so and sometimes more but that may be me..

Old 01-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a Gamo High Power rifle, it shoots a 1000fps and very accurate up to about 30yds. It came with a scope an attached flash light and lazer light. Ideal for pesky Raccoons.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Be careful shooting grackles and crows. They're PROTECTED under the Migratory Bird Protection Act(federal offense to shoot one).
It's not Federal offense to shoot crows.
http://www.crows.net/nohunt.html

There is a season to take crows that varies from State to State.

In NY there is a limited season to shoot the dam things.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/65847.html

Arkansas regulations.... it is legal there too.
http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/Hu...tionsCrow.aspx

Other states also have a season for them too.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
I've got a Gamo High Power rifle, it shoots a 1000fps and very accurate up to about 30yds. It came with a scope an attached flash light and lazer light. Ideal for pesky Raccoons.
I think I saw that one when I bought mine. I noticed the scope/laser deal.
Is yours .22 cal? One thing that drew me to this one was that it was one of few that I saw on the shelf in .22 caliber and was well under $200.