Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 PM

I need an idler arm, ordered one from Summit but is too small where it attaches to the suspension. It is the only one they carry.
GM says there were 3 part # changes for the year.
7816-496, 7806-615, 7806-613. The parts dept. couldn't tell what the difference in parts are, has anyone else faced this problem.

thanks

Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 PM

I need an idler arm, ordered one from Summit but is too small where it attaches to the suspension. It is the only one they carry.
GM says there were 3 part # changes for the year.
7816-496, 7806-615, 7806-613. The parts dept. couldn't tell what the difference in parts are, has anyone else faced this problem.

thanks

Old 04-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to say it but change it all over to a nova suspension now and don't waste time and money on buying/finding the original parts unless you positively have to. The problem your going to face is if your drag link is wore out (I'd be shocked if it wasn't) you can't get those anywhere aftermarket except off a scrapped car and chances are it would be junk to. I remember trying to find one new when I was 16 in 83 and you couldn't buy them new then! The Moog suspension book used to say that it was a none wear part but it was wrong. If you have to replace tie rod ends, they alone cost over $40 a piece for the ventura compared to $12 for a nova. I went to a junk yard and bought a manual gear box and drag for $75 and then bought everything else new, inner and outer tie rod ends, sleeves, idler arm and a pitman arm for around $150. If you can't find a manual box, buy a P.S. box instead off a nova. The novas drag link is a none wear part, the worse thing you can do to it is bend it. The 'knuckle" is on the pitman arm instead of the draglink on the novas and you can still get them for around $50-$60. Double check to make sure that your draglink has a "knuckle" that goes into the pitman arm. If it does make sure it isn't wore out by prying down on it with a breaker bar, if it moves, convert it over. This applies to the 73-74 ventura (GTO) I don't know about the 72 on down models

Old 07-09-2002, 12:08 AM

You can get the idler arm from Rare Parts. I hit up O'rielys to order that from rare parts. You can also get the centerlink/drag link from Rare parts. Be prepared to pay for it though!

Old 07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At one time Ames used to carry the idler arms and they were not expensive like Rare Parts.
Herb

74 Ventura 462/#13 heads/3350#
10.38 @ 128.89 MPH, N/A, Stock suspension, 275/60 Radial, Street legal, Tagged & Insured
Old 07-12-2002, 11:14 PM

Just to let you know, I ordered one from Summit, it didn't fit, I picked up one at NAPA, it didn't fit, I got one from Rare Parts, it didn't fit, my GM dealer wasn't of any help. Well after e-mailing pictures all over, it comes that the one packaged from Rare Parts had been miss wrapped as 20234 for my 74, I have returned it. I am now purchasing the same # Rare Parts piece from Auto Zone online for 91.00, not the 115.00 from Rare Parts. Piece is also available from O'Reilly's and I am sure others, cheaper then going to the source, though I will say Paul at Rare Parts has been great about working through the problem.