THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:07 AM

FWIW, I have a 52 x 26 shop/garage 10' ceiling with a 15 x 45 upper level, I installed a Tosot (30K BTU) split system, it is Heat/AC and "Dehumidifier" all in one. Not expensive to run, especially compared to my propane heated building. After one year, a winter and summer it works great, I put 3 vents in the upper level floor and it keeps the upstairs bearable, I will add a smaller unit upstairs eventually, takes up no space and easy to install.

The Following User Says Thank You to MIAGIMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAGIMAN View Post
FWIW, I have a 52 x 26 shop/garage 10' ceiling with a 15 x 45 upper level, I installed a Tosot (30K BTU) split system, it is Heat/AC and "Dehumidifier" all in one. Not expensive to run, especially compared to my propane heated building. After one year, a winter and summer it works great, I put 3 vents in the upper level floor and it keeps the upstairs bearable, I will add a smaller unit upstairs eventually, takes up no space and easy to install.
Been looking at a “mini split” for my garage. It’s 24’ X 24’ with a 12’ ceiling. I know propane nearly “broke” me last winter, so this would be a great alternative.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Know for sure I am going Natural Gas and Radiant Heat.
Need to have the Barn work completed and the Natural Gas Pipe & Meter installed to the Barn.
So I have time currently to do a good job sourcing the Radiant Heat supplier.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

I have a unisulated 26 by 33 garage / shop that when I go in there in the winter I heat up with a woodstove (a bullerjan 01) it takes about 20 minutes to get the area near my workbench warm and from there on it heats up the entire shop to a very comfy temp in about an hour. Outside temp is about 40 to 47 degrees. I kind of like my stove.. It's a funny odd looking thing but it really works well for me.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned above, split system heat pumps can provide both heating and cooling. They've have been improved in recent years so they can still provide heat in ambient temps down to -10F or so, but in a very cold environment (like Wisconsin) you may still need an additional heat source. For a garage where you may only want to keep the interior temp at +50F it may not be a problem, but this is something to discuss with your HVAC supplier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
As mentioned above, split system heat pumps can provide both heating and cooling. They've have been improved in recent years so they can still provide heat in ambient temps down to -10F or so, but in a very cold environment (like Wisconsin) you may still need an additional heat source. For a garage where you may only want to keep the interior temp at +50F it may not be a problem, but this is something to discuss with your HVAC supplier.
Great point, Stuart. -10 F temps here in S. IN happen occasionally; when we lived in SE WI I can remember weeks at a time when the temp did NOT exceed -10 F.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2022, 12:25 AM

IMHO after 35+ yrs as an HVAC tech, radiant is the best way to go, if you have a higher ceiling and want to afford the installation. Most recommend a minimum height of 10' as they get very hot. Radiant is very efficient and keeps the entire space, floor to ceiling, within a few degrees. This system is designed to set it and forget it. Don't plan to lower the setting to 40* and expect a quick recovery like a unit heater. A setback to 55* is common. As stated it heats the objects in the room. Besides being efficient, there is no OPEN FLAME.

Gas fired unit heaters would be my choice for 8' ceilings. They should be closed combustion using outdoor air for combustion to eliminate the open flame.

Electric unit haters make for a quick and easy install if you have enough power. A 6000 watt unit keeps my 500 SF shop toasty but the meter sure does spin!

If you want A/C, Ductless split heat pumps are now sold to the DIY'ers at the big box stores. I am not familiar with the output of the newer units, but 32*OAT used to be the efficiency break even point vs natural gas. That said, the lower the outdoor temp., the lower the discharge air temp. into your space. If your winters are like NW Ohio, you will need supplemental heat. This is a great option for an office space within your shop.

Talk to a contractor or someone in HVAC in your area. It can be a major investment in time and money so look at different options.

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post: