Old 09-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac had Delorean, all it needed to "define" and market a musclecar.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they're thinking of this one. LOL http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...h_belmont.html

I did see this car at the Hagley Museum Car Show Sunday the 16th. WOW, it is one good looking car. It's a 1 of 1 seeing Chrysler saw fir to destroy it's twin. Also met the owner, she trailers it around the country to various shows. Not sure if it'll be seen around here again as there are 3 collectors trying to buy it from her. Last offered price was 3 million bucks and she said No.

A young kid at the show saw it and said to his dad, "That's the biggest Corvette I've ever seen!" True story.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw that junk on TV as well.... the muscle car started with the GTO...
IT ended with the Grand National...

GTO is the ALPHA the Grand National was the Omega.

Nothing before fit the mold and nothing after either.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok, so i'm a bit late on this; but didnt the 63 buic riv have a 389? a friend owns one of these and i've never measured, but it doesnt look any bigger than my lemans. why wasnt this the first musclecar? was it front wheel drive?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They came with either a 401 or optional 425. It was actually considered a fullsized coupe. I looked up the specs and it was 208 inches long and nearly 4,200 lbs. The '64 GTO was nearly that long but I'm sure it wasn't that heavy.
The Riviera was certainly a performance car by any standards but Buick considered it a full sized 'Personal Luxury Car".

Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my first cars was a 64 Riviera with the 425 engine, which I drove from around 1975 - 1980 . It was an incredible car. In 75-76, I also had a black 65 GTO tri-power 4-spd. The GTO was a brute, with no a/c, manual drum brakes and manual steering. The Riviera was very quick but refined, way ahead of it's time. I'd love to have another Riviera.