Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also has the wrong carb on it.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

25g is the code for a 353hp 4bbl '63 auto trans 421. DK like everyone else on the other number. In the picture the coil is blocking a view to where the transfer lug would be.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Motor is worth $3500. Hope you get it!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Number conundrum + 421 emblem looks crooked...on a re-paint...is that a flag? (and I don't mean the ones above the 4 2 1!!)

What is the transmission code?

I can't do this one right now...were it a 'deuce' I WOULD, believe me...so for anyone in the hunt, I would think that Express-PHS is worth the $ to BE SURE.

Good luck, be informed and fer cripes sake, take me for a ride in it!!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I am set to look at the car tomorrow unless for some reason someone picks it up tonight or something else comes up. Not sure how this is going to work out. At first he tells me its all original, than I bring up the carb and repaint. He than says, yea it has been repaited. I asked if there were any other parts with the car, he said he was not sure, but there were some in the trunk. Says that the trunk and floor pans are all solid as well as the frame, he also adds that he is a carpenter and not a body/mechanic so he said who knows if I will find something that he missed. My mind is telling me that there are going to be a lot more issues when I show up to look at this one and that I will have spent a day on the road for no good reason.......well other than looking at an old poncho!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
25g is the code for a 353hp 4bbl '63 auto trans 421. DK like everyone else on the other number. In the picture the coil is blocking a view to where the transfer lug would be.
I can tell from the front, 63GPman, if you happen to have a pic from the front of the engine compartment (or want to post a pic when you get there tomorrow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
At first he tells me its all original, than I bring up the carb and repaint. He than says, yea it has been repaited.
To most people that IS original. I think to them it means "...restored to original". Just like "survivor" to many people means "...the car still exists".

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Notice the cool air cleaner on this one!! Not sure how this is going to upload, but I tried to get a photo from the guy, but got a video.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it came off a dozer!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, i am going to bow out on this one. Seller initially said that I would be able to make the drive back from fort atkinson wi and now is saying that he "may be able to get it started" when i am there. To much going on for me on this one with the rust, repaint, unk 421 question, and driveability?? Good luck to anyone that is still looking at it.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
Well, i am going to bow out on this one. Seller initially said that I would be able to make the drive back from fort atkinson wi and now is saying that he "may be able to get it started" when i am there. To much going on for me on this one with the rust, repaint, unk 421 question, and driveability?? Good luck to anyone that is still looking at it.
Yeah, after we chatted a bit, 63gpman, I got to thinking about how this guy appeared to know nothing really about the car, other than what he thinks are key selling points (421, no rust, runs etc...) The picture of the front of the car shows a WI collector plate. This is an OLD registration number, since it is only 4 numeric digits. Also, the C character at the end indicates that this is the 4th 20 year old, or older, car licensed to this same owner under the same plate number.

This is all circumstantial evidence, but it would lead me to believe that someone with at least 4 classic automobiles would know something about the car, unless he is selling it for someone else. Even then, I would think he would want to know everything about it.

Also, to me, in the photos, the motor looks wet. Looks like someone tried to hose it down to make it look better.

After seeing more photos, I'd pass too.

Thanks.

MK

Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 PM

You guys are tough! If I were closer I'd go look at it and find out the truth. Many times people are very ill informed of what they have. You'll never know if you don't go see it.

1972 GMC K20 427/TH350
1972 Chevy C30 FlatBed 402/TH400
1972 GMC C10 350/TH350
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. For someone, it may or may not be a great car. 421 car? maybe. 8 lugs for sure, but who knows the condition. Rust, for sure and who knows how far. If this was in the same town or same state, i would have to go look at it. but it is over 4 hrs away from me so 8 hrs just to get there and back on some info and pics that are not very solid. Not bad, but from what I have seen and continue to learn, it is just not for me. As described by seller initially, this would have been a driver for me, not a project from the start. Who knows, it may be even better than what it shows, but as stated I am going to bow out on this one.

The car is stated to have been purchased by his grandfather in 1986 and has been in storage most of the time, only taken out for Sunday drives.......so the seller says and may even be true.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoser View Post
The picture of the front of the car shows a WI collector plate. This is an OLD registration number, since it is only 4 numeric digits. Also, the C character at the end indicates that this is the 4th 20 year old, or older, car licensed to this same owner under the same plate number.

This is all circumstantial evidence, but it would lead me to believe that someone with at least 4 classic automobiles would know something about the car, unless he is selling it for someone else. Even then, I would think he would want to know everything about it.
Yep. The license plate specifics had me curious, too.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Similar 4 door

check out this ad in Hemmings. Sounds a lot like the same car. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1557421.html

Asking price is even in the same range.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5farmer View Post
check out this ad in Hemmings. Sounds a lot like the same car. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...e/1557421.html

Asking price is even in the same range.
Probably just a coincidence. The subject car in this forum does not have A/C that I can see. The Hemmings car apparently does. I might be wrong.

Ian