Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Question Cranks & Handles

63 G/P working on the interior. I've been able to 'search' comparison between "HELP" products and others, consensus being to get the "HELP" products.

My challenge is that the parts store doesn't have a listing, the Dorman HELP site doesn't have a listing, so how can I locate the parts numbers to buy the window cranks & door handles?

Any help would be really appreciated. (my search skills are lacking, but please know I tried)

Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

get an ames catalog. they have pictures in it.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy used ones. Nearly all new or reproduction stuff is junk or will have fitment issues.

An ad in the parts wanted would no doubt net you a few.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those handles fit all big Pontiacs except base Catalina from 1959-1964 and Buick, Olds and maybe some Cadillacs.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Buy used ones. Nearly all new or reproduction stuff is junk or will have fitment issues.

An ad in the parts wanted would no doubt net you a few.
Foe Show.

...this ain't a Camaro, bro; HELP! stuff and DarkSiders are in different camps.

Good luck with it.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Last week on PY interiors discussion

"I had the same problem with a few repops recently on the clone, they wouldn't pop on all the way, and when they did, they were loose, and the teeth made only partial contact. They stripped off pretty quick. I think those were OER. Then I got some that were in a blue and white box, those too, stripped pretty quick. I ended up buying a bunch of the Help! ones and they worked good, still on the car.

Another thing I noticed was that the clips were different too, the ends were too long, and I initially tried to trim them. They made contact with the panel and didn't go past the panel into the hole. The wire clips were cheap, and more like a 'V'."

I've got a very large order coming in from PY, and another from Ames. The comment above is why I asked. There are other comments in accord on that thread. I'd just had more help & understanding in this forum.

Last edited by Steve.in.Roanoke; 05-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your parts very carefully as soon as you get them. All of them. Make sure they will actually fit your car and are an exact match to what you are replacing. I have been round and round on parts where they swear that they are the same as A bodies and have supplied those claiming fitment. Some suppliers have even argued with me on the phone that they are the same while I am holding both parts that are different in my hand. Pontiac B body is a whole different world. If it does not look like an exact match it will not work.

The thing that happens is that it takes us a long time to get around to using the stuff and by the time we get to it it is too late to return.

Good luck.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress