Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65 Pontiac nose gap trouble to hood

Hi friends,
just assambled another nice Arizona Grill in my 65 canadian Parisienne custom sport convertible (same like Grand Prix) but during the work i find that the nose (grill center part) is still not really close to the hood if hood is closed...where could be the mistake ??
Several times i was looking for the problem
...i adjusted the hood spring several times but no progress...
Any idea?
My other 65 Pontiac (Bonneville) has a very small gap between center part and hood

Some pics of the mist blue canadian convertible ...canadian nose and US nose (center part are looking 100% same)

Thx for any help
Bjoern

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scheune Oma Haus 008.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	324847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scheune Oma Haus 009.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	324848  

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bjoern,

Before you changed the grilles, did the cone sit close to the hood?

Is the nose cone on the Parisienne the original which came with the car? I cannot imagine the original Canadian and the American type will be any different but who knows??

I'm wondering if the original Parisienne cone might have been replaced at some time after the car "migrated" down to America?

The Radiator support panel on the Parisienne is identical to a 1965 Chevrolet except it has a different top panel welded on to suit the Pontiac hood latch. That said, it means you probably cannot accurately measure if there is any difference between where the cone should sit.

How about if you compare your Bonneville grilles top level to the Parisienne? In the pictures you posted, it looks to me like the top of the centre cone appears to be a bit lower than the grille tops? Is there any adjustment you can make to lift the centre cone up a bit?

Ian

Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can the hood be pushed down to close the gap? Try adjusting your hood stoppes located on either side of the core support (little stub bold with rubber tops on them - one each side)

Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65 Pontiac nose gap trouble to hood

...the nose or center part is same as canadian Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Prix, Parisienne Star Chief ...
here some pics ..the light blue is my old stock center piece (had some typical bumper dents so i replaced before painting with an perfect one) only one bolt is other than US production Pontiacs but has nothing to do with the gap. The other is from an Catalina ..

The hood bumpers on the core support are perfectly adjusted ..the hood is one nice line with the fenders ... ..only the center part of hood looks like 1/2" to high.. can`t close more .. the aircleaner does not meet the hood .. (Tri Power on my 283) Edelbrock deuce intake..

The canadian hood has another "underwear frame" as the US Pontiacs ...

hm .... ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	324876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	324877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose 3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	324878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	324879  

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about your hinges? Maybe the Prob. is coming from there?

Nice garage art BTW!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can't push down on the hood to close the gap, then there is obviously an obstruction.

1. Remove the air clearner and hood bumpers (even though you say they're prefectly aligned and don't touch - see of you can close the gap by applying pressure on the hood nose) I would also remove the spring and safety latch from the hood to see if you can get it to close completely - then re-install one by one to see if you can determine the problem.

2. I do see a slight difference in the hood release height of the two nose pieces you show - that may be the problem - additionally, the one has a tab protruding upward while the other doesn't. Furthermore; the hood release's seem to be at different angles (view from top) and are also of a slightly different design.

3. Bruce may be correct in that the hinges being the problem - oil them/adjust them if necessary - but usually the problem with a bad hinge or poorly adjusted hinge is the rear of the hood doesn't close/come down completely

Last edited by 64catdroptop; 05-31-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

I've endured this same problem before on a 65. By your pics, the front of hood is simply not coming down far enough. Like 64cat said, back off the bumpers, then see if you can push down on front center of hood, see if you can close the gap. If so, adjust the latch to that point. Then start extending the bumpers back up a little at a time to get your fender line back.
The 65 front end sure is a complex arrangement of parts.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IMHO, I don't think the problem is the hood, I think it's the nose, it's too low. The US cars use the tab (missing on your original) with a strap to the bottom of the core support. If you move where the strap bolts to the oval hole in the tab, it jacks the nose up or down. Your original looks slightly "lower" on the bottom shelve, and I'm guessing that's where the lower support or strap mounts to in the Canada version.

I would remount your original nose (the part between the grills) and see if the gap problem goes away. If it does you could add washers or body shims between the nose and the support bracket on the one you are using now.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW