Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 10 or 12 Bolt Rear Disc Conversions

Has anyone had luck with one of the kits online or on ebay or ???

I see the adapters that let you build your own system but no one tells you exactly what you need to finish. Anyone have any luck with one for a 10 or 12 bolt 60 70's rearends???

Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was an article in HPP early last year, IIRC, about using the backing plates and other parts off an S10 rear axle to do the conversion. A guy in the GTO Club in Toronto spec'ed it out. That's probably what I'll do with my TA.

Stewart

Old 04-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That to me is more of a modification kit. I am talking about the $ kits you can get on ebay or other vendors. No machining no major welding just bolt and go. There are 10 or 15 on ebay right now and Inline tube has them. I am just wondering if anyone has actually used one of the kits and their opinion.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up RR disc kits

Can't answer the Ebay vendor question, but I just installed a Master Power Brakes rr disc kit on my 12 bolt-eqipped 66 GTO. Easy bolt-on installation and much-improved braking after changing my disc/drum 1" master to a 1 1/8" disc/disc unit. No axle-turning required, only a light honing of the rotor centers in order to fit the rotors over the axles. I cut the backing plates in half, eliminating the need to pull the C-clip axles in order to remove the plates before mounting the caliper brackets.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins

Last edited by wheelspin; 09-20-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Items you will need:

DIsc/Disc master
Adjustable proportioning valve
Caliper mount brackets
Loaded Calipers
Flex hoses
Rotors
E-brake cables (usually custom)

Thing you will need to do:

Machine down axle flange to fit inside rotor.
Change studs for longer units.

Our setup is pretty simple, and has two strengths. It has a 12 gauge center section. which allows the use of a 64-71 BOP assy. with bolt in axles. Most setups do NOT have this feature, which forces you to shim your bearing race. We also have the flex hose tab welded to the bracket, so no welding is required at your end.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac_banshee
That to me is more of a modification kit.
IIRC, the only actual modification was to a bracket to hold the e-brake cable and it was a GM part. All the rest was straight bolt on for a 10 bolt rear end. You should search back in HPP and check it out.

Stewart

Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scarebird has some awesome brackets. They sound better than any of the the others I have looked at but there is a catch. Being a normal purchaser I found just one word for what comes after the brackets. Wow

Looking at the parts for this is wild.

$280 for calipers alone if you do not have cores.
Another $40 for brake cable
Another $40 for brake hose.
$40 for pads
$100 for rotors

$500 for the parts from NAPA/Autozone

Checking with Scarbird to see if they offer a kit that might add some savings to all of this.

Will report back. Still looking for others that have bought other kits.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We do not get raging discounts either. Check Rockauto or Partsamerica for good prices on the calipers.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default HPP Article

The kits mentioned there are over a grand. The kits on eBay go for about $450 and up.

So far the bracket from Scarebird impresses me the most. The other kits require welding and this one doesn't. Now I have to figure out part for part which is cheapest in the end. A MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK kind of thing.

If this works look for my ad in the performance section for aluminum drums and all new brake hardware, including backing plates.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

I having trouble here. Went to scarebird's site, but there was not link to the 10 bolt rear brackets. The words were there, but no link. WTF??

Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a detailed article on our Buick site doing a rear disc conversion with an 8.5" rear....should answer all of your questions.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Grant

Yes they are not there and I was hoping for one from thier people but forgot to put in my last email. If they are monitoring this please post one.

Stopped at NAPA - 2 calipers loaded (like baked potatoe) with everything on them from springs to pads - Over $375 as I do not have the $120+ core charges.

I will be checking the other stores recommended and get back to everyone.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use the 7.5" GM, same procedure and parts.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

Ok. I'm glad to see that I'm still able to do business with a board member. I remember looking at the brackets a while back, and was worried that they were no longer available from scarebird. There are a few more things on the list ahead of rear discs, but they are on the horizon!!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

speedwaymotors.com has the rear calipers for 100 each, no core charge. Rotors are 27 each, hoses 12 and a pad set runs 25. We use Control Cable out of Sante Fe Springs for the E-brake cables, they are 75 shipped to your dimensions. It can be done under $500...

Grant, glad you feel that way- we did Pontiacs first because of it.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NAPA wants $120 core charges for a pair of 82-85 Eldo rear calipers...that is ridiculous.....local yards here in FL are full of those models.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes it looks about $520 (plus getting axles turned down) with shipping to build your own. There is a kit on ebay for $480 shipped that includes everything. Love those scarebird mounts but is at least $40 more.

NOTE: Anyone know if the later TA/Camaro rear rotors work with this. A couple of the ebay sellers say that they will and do not require machining????

Was just put off by the vendors on ebay that say you can build this for less than $400. Maybe with used parts yes but not with rebuilt calipers. GStage1 ?? How much for a set off a scrap car? And do you know if someone who ships out of state?

Seems the biggest chunk is the calipers with $200 being the cheapest. Have to see what the wrecking yard angle is on these.

I am leaning on Scarebird mounts. There brake hose mount means NO welding which no on else offers, How much shipping to 54914 Scarebird? If I go this route you mind me using pics and assessments of your mounts as I build them? It is going on a HD 82 Nova 8.5 in my Firebird.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.tsmmfg.com is the kit I have on our site. It does not require turning down the axles....he uses Ford Explorer rotors redrilled for the GM stud cirlce of 4.75"

I will check with the yard I deal with on Sat and see what they will charge for a pair of calipers. I will ship the calipers anywhere in the world needed.
Looks like there is good demand for them on here and Ebay. I "think" the last ones I bought only required a seal kit for them to be like new and the seal kit is only $10 per caliper.

Email me direct GStage1@buickperformance.com and I will let you know
late Sat with my results. I will definitely get one or two sets....probably list one set on Ebay and see how they do.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac_banshee
NOTE: Anyone know if the later TA/Camaro rear rotors work with this. A couple of the ebay sellers say that they will and do not require machining???? No, they are completely different in dimension from the earlier rotors.

How much shipping to 54914 Scarebird? If I go this route you mind me using pics and assessments of your mounts as I build them? It is going on a HD 82 Nova 8.5 in my Firebird. We sell them for 115 with shipping included on our site, 105 to PY guys...

A few months ago a customer sent us a setup from a C6 Vette that he wanted to use on a Grand National. We solved that, but will look at the cost of the internal drum parking brake, and see if it will be cost effective using 1982-92 Firebird front calipers. either way, unless you want to run without parking brakes, reear disc wil not be cheap...

Last edited by Scarebird; 04-29-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure the current price but the lieftime warranty on calipers from O Reilley is sure good when that ratchet E brake quits ratcheting!