Old 09-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Those floor mats are aftermarket, probably a universal fit - I don't know where those particular ones were sold, but they're typical of what you could get back in the day from an auto parts store or even Sears and Roebuck or Montgomery Ward.

I occasionally see similar ones at swap meets, or you can probably find them on eBay or even sometimes in the classified ads on the Jalopy Journal / H.A.M.B. board.

Not sure what you mean by oil pump gasket, since the oil pump is internal to the engine...did you mean the gasket on the oil filter mount?
I figured as much. I'm just going to pick up a set of repro mats from Ames. I like the separate mat style better anyway, and the Ames mats are pretty reasonable. Just thought I'd make sure they weren't some odd OEM mat I wasn't familiar with before I replaced them.

As far as the gasket, you are correct. It is the gasket between the oil filter adapter/mount and the block. Ames calls it an oil filter adapter gasket, but some of the chain parts places call it an oil pump gasket for some reason. It's the same gasket that Ames sells, though. Courtesy of all the looking I've done for the same parts I tend to slip up somtimes.

This is the link to the Advance Auto Parts listing for the same gasket:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...hTerm=oil+pump

Last edited by kmeyer54; 09-01-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very rare for a filter housing to leak, however it is rather common for the sending unit leak.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 09-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
Very rare for a filter housing to leak, however it is rather common for the sending unit leak.
I hadn't looked too closely at the sending unit. I tried to clean the housing up the best I could, but there was so much oil on it that it was still difficult to ascertain the source of the leak. I'll have to give it a closer inspection. I have noticed a difference in the frequency/quantity of the leak since replacing the gasket, but I suppose I also may have inadvertently partially fixed an issue with the sending unit when I took the housing off to replace the gasket.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:48 AM

Default Update 01/2021

Life has gotten in the way of a lot of work on the car for the last couple years, but I still have her. She's stuck with me through getting married, having my first child (with another on the way), starting a career, and now a somewhat forced career change. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to drive her over the last few years, but she's started right up every time I've had the chance to take her out. Unfortunately while driving last week something gave out and she's now idling wrong and sputtering during acceleration. She also keeps developing leaks which are slowly worsening, so with all of that in mind I've decided that it's finally time for a rebuild.

I'm finally in a house with a two car garage rather than the one car garage I was renting at my old apartment which she barely fit in, leaving almost no room to work, so that's very helpful. Right now I'm working on making a list of all of the things I need to tackle and a preliminary list of all the parts I know need to be replaced or rebuilt.

At this point, the plan is a restoration to include rebuilding the motor and transmission, rust repair in the usual spot around the bottom of the hardtop, some interior work, lots of rebuilds or replacements of other under-the-hood components like the radiator, power steering pump and lines, A/C compressor, etc. I'm also going to replace the steelies/hubcaps with new Rallye II's from Coker Tire and some new tires with a thin whitewall or red line. I still haven't made a decision on the paint color. I've decided to stick to factory colors for the year and model, but I don't think I'm going to keep the original Verdoro Green. It's not a bad color, but I think I would be happier with another color and I've heard several times that Verdoro Green is a huge pain to paint match. Paint suggestions are welcome!

Hopefully I'll be able to start working on draining fluids and making arrangements to pull the motor and trans soon. I'm definitely hoping for an update in the next few months rather than the previous ~2.5 year lapse. Part of my career change has included a commitment to myself to invest more in my hobbies and less in my work, so we'll see how that goes.