Old 03-23-2021, 04:40 PM

Default Likely an ill advised rant.....

It is 1:30 west coast time, and I just poured my first bourbon. Likely a bad call when your morning has been trying to suppress the urge to beat a Vintage Air evaporator unit into jagged pieces. Like most of us I love to see folks recommending Vintage Air on these forums, because that's the one I bought, but holy f%#K, what a pain in the ass. Do not believe their "easy installation" claims. I am putting it in '64 Lemans that is totally stripped, nothing in way on the dash. There are two blind 1/4" bolts sticking out the back of this unit which go through the firewall. Begin the process with a really tight fit with absolutely minimal ability to see what you doing and add fighting two high pressure lines and two heater hose lines, that must be hooked up before installation, and are being forced to bend in tight ways that they do not want to bend. The result? Over a day's futile work, cussing to the point of scaring the neighbors, scratched paint, waiting to hear the aforementioned expensive evaporator crack from all the man handling, and no closer to being in than yesterday. So angry I can't see straight. Nothing more, just needed to rant.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:58 PM

I've got a big bucket of ice with a handy scooper if you wanna trade...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you spray the rubber lines with soapy water to allow them to move more freely during install?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 PM

I did spray them down, which so far has only allowed one grommet to pull out of the kick plate bracket, which is also loose. Turned out to be a nice day, so instead a garden project got done. Shoveling is less frustrating.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:17 PM

Mercy, that was tough, but finally got it in. Ended up having to pull 3 of the 4 hoses out of being routed through the kickplate (one pressure hose can only go through plates one way due to an end fitting) and laid them inside the car. Then installed unit, then, with the help of a friend, threaded the hose back through. The lines being made to make a sharp "S" immediately off the evaporator was just too much resistance to overcome to be able to mount it. Had two guys and a jack under the dash trying to do it with the lines in place and couldn't do it.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:15 PM
Senior Chief

Shlit, now I'm worried. Just started ordering parts for the VA to go in my 76 TA.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 PM

The reason that I titled my original post an ill advised rant was because I was posting while being pissed. Now that it is in, feeling much better about the unit. You may not have the same problems as I am sure the installation is different with a later year TA. I have heard lots of good reviews of VA. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaro View Post
I've got a big bucket of ice with a handy scooper if you wanna trade...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
Funny, thanks for the offer, but no.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:00 PM
Senior Chief

Me too, heard good reviews. Thanks for the added comment. I removed my old AC system in the eighties. No big deal then, and it was my daily, did what I had to. But now its a fun car and I am less tolerant of the stinky hot riding, especially being spoiled by modern driving. With the VA I am putting an end to loosing too many riding opportunities.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VA's mounting bracketry leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Scarebird, that is putting it diplomatically.....

Old 03-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We actually made a small run of brackets to fix the charlie-fox way they had it mounted.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Mounting the evaporator with the lines attached is the toughest part of the install for sure. I cursed it as well. It is worth it once cool air is blowing on your face!