Old 05-29-2021, 02:45 AM

Default Convertible Top Frame Restoration

Does anyone know of any shops that specialize in convertible top frame restoration? Would like to just remove it and ship it somewhere and have it stripped, powder-coated and the bushings replaced. Any help would be appreciated !! Eric

Old 05-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have any suggestions for who you could ship it to but I'm guessing a good convertible top shop could do most or all of what you'd like done.

I had a lot of stuff powder-coated when my '64 was done but I don't recall having the top frame pc'd. I'm thinking it was just sprayed. I know for sure that I stripped and rattle canned a couple cast iron pieces that were part of the assembly. They came out looking very nice. If the top frame was pc'd, we would have just taken it to the powder-coat shop in some disassembled state and let them work their stripping/coating magic. Since the cast iron pieces weren't pc'd though, I'm thinking neither was the rest of the frame. I did buy new cylinders so the cast iron pieces may have been handled separate from the frame.

EDIT: Just read the old post and see that I said the frame was powder-coated back then. So I'm sure we just sent it to the powder-coater. It does look good.

The shop that installed my top (I believe I ordered it myself to be sure I got the brand I wanted in the color I wanted, a specific white) did a very nice job except they didn't adjust the frame to start. And once installed, the frame sagged.

Here is a thread I started to discuss it. Peter Serio was very helpful with advice.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...55#post5945355

And here is the bushing kit he suggested that I have yet to purchase. It will be a D-I-Y project someday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1967-C...53.m1438.l2649

My frame still sags some as described in the older thread and the side glass still fits poorly. And the weatherstripping at the door and quarter tops functions poorly too. Don't know if that is because of ill-fitting weatherstripping or poor adjustment of the glass.

I ignore it because generally the only time I take it out is with the top and windows down. But I garage it with the top and glass up and it annoys me that the glass doesn't seal tight to the top.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:11 AM

Hi John and thanks for the insight and information. That looks like a great kit and I just ordered it. Maybe I’m thinking too much into this process. I can probably just send it to a good powder coater and they can blast and paint it and send it back and at that point I can install this kit in it. I just have visions of someone, without the proper skill set, taking everything apart to prep and powder coat it and then sending back a wrapped up package of steel parts and a bag of nuts and bolts (!) Thanks again, Eric

Old 05-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the top frame was handed off for the most part intact. The cylinders and the associated cast iron pieces that I mentioned I think was the only disassembly performed aside from removal of the fabric top itself. They had pc’d many other components on the car previously. I don’t recall if they were blasting or chemically stripping. Cost wasn’t especially cheap, this was a commercial operation, not a low overhead garage shop setup. The guy doing the resto assembly for me would drop the parts off. For the Diff Carrier and Axle Tubes piece, I think he sealed off the axle flanges and rear cover opening before handing it off but most pieces were just given to them. I don’t think the top frame was disassembled down to the pieces but if you’d like I could ask my guy if he remembers what he did before dropping it off. They weren’t especially quick on turnaround but results were very good. Find a local shop and talk to them. If they don’t have the expertise it should be obvious and you can look elsewhere. If you happen to be close to NE Fla, I can get you a contact for the shop that pc’d mine.

By the way, I was looking at the eBay listing. Just to be sure you noticed, the listed kit does ONE rail. You need 2 kits if you are doing both sides. Not sure but I think the kits are also being sold by Ames, OPGI, etc.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:40 PM

Thanks John and yes I did notice that I needed two of those kits to do both sides. Kind of strange, I can’t imagine only doing one side and leaving the other side untouched. Anyway I mistakenly ordered the kit for the ‘64 through ‘67 Chevelle, Malibu, etc. but I suspect they are exactly the same kits.

I’m going to start the hunt for a shop that’s experienced with this type of work. I don’t mind the extra time and expense shipping it somewhere; it’s much more important that I get it done right ! I’ll keep the forum posted, Eric