Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That one has a typical '72 Trans Am VIN and it started life as a Cameo White unit.

I don't believe it actually has an SD-455 in it as one story mistakenly reported. If my memory serves me, it's actually a 455 HO block topped with R/A IV pieces.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
That one has a typical '72 Trans Am VIN and it started life as a Cameo White unit.

I don't believe it actually has an SD-455 in it as one story mistakenly reported. If my memory serves me, it's actually a 455 HO block topped with R/A IV pieces.
That's correct , No SD .

Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Jim/Rocky, was there any more on this?

One scenario: at start of 73 production all 455 were Y-code. When the EGR fiasco happened, Pontiac added the 'X' code in VIN so EPA would know it was after the EGR change?

Theoretically, an early SD TA would be 'Y' coded?
(since before the EGR change)

John, I didn't go back and review the entire thread, but I did look over the Invoice record for the topic car.

I think it is pretty obvious that the car left the factory with the base 455.

The addition of the LS2 option was post-build and was added to the Invoice when the car was sold at deep discount in Sept. '73, long after it was assembled and first shipped.

Unless I am mistaken (I am not familiar with '73 invoices to any great extent), the original factory options were listed on alpha order.

If I am correct, the items starting with LS2 are listed out of order and reflect an addition to the Invoice post-build.

I have seen similar additions on Invoices for Co. Cars for much more mundane items that were added to the Invoice that clearly were not part of the build but were chargeable. So it was not uncommon for items to be added, the ones on this TA just happen to be a bit less "mundane".

In this case, however and whyever the LS2 was added to this particular TA, it was done post-build but still officially under the ownership of Pontiac, most likely while assigned to the LA Zone.

When the car was sold, the added items (LS2, Hood Decal, possibly the Tire option from the looks of it to me) were listed at added cost and the car then offered for bid.

The original Invoice as the car shipped would not have included these subsequently added items. But the "final" Invoice when it was first sold outside of PMD obviously did include them.

I am certain this explains why the VIN shows the Y engine code.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bringing back to top.

John V, would you consider this a 'factory' SD TA?

Should it be in the SD Registry?
(it's not technically a clone?)

252 SD TA's were made, so it would be 253 SD TA's?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like the '69 Prototype Trans Am, I would call it a '73 Prototype Trans Am 455SD.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably agree with you HFR.

Another term might be "mule" car if the swap was known to have been done for engineering test purposes with a perhaps pre-production SD engine.

Don't know how the "count" of SD's came to be, but I assume that is a count of production SD's.

So I don't think this should be added to the count.

But because the mods were performed while the car remained in the possession of PMD, it is more interesting than some other '73 TA that might have received the SD engine by some swap performed by a dealer or owner.

It would be a lot more interesting if the entire story was known.

It could be that it wasn't a prototype at all, maybe just a company car that some Zone exec managed to have the SD engine swapped in just because he wanted it.

That's why knowing "the rest of the story" would be helpful. Otherwise we're only guessing why it got the SD.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John and Mike.

I agree it would be great to know the full history.

Also would be nice if the buildsheet and the "original" SD engine was around.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM

Default Looking for closure

It's been over six years since this thread died, any update on the car's condition?