Old 04-28-2020, 02:56 PM

Default 1964 Pontiac wood steering wheel

The price of these is crazy - cost more than the whole car. I have a machine shop and would like to make one for my car. Could anyone supply me with he basic dimension to do this - Outside diameter, spoke sizes, spoke locations. Thanks Jim 209-601-4408

Old 04-28-2020, 07:23 PM
Senior Chief

I applaud your initiative. Is your plan to make one like the original as shown in the first pic? The only measurement that I can give is that it is a 16” wheel. The spoke assembly is one piece, has bends, tapered spokes, a ring at the edge which is part of the spoke assembly needed to support the plastic wood. Then there are the internals for horn button mounting, splined hole for the steering shaft, etc. Would be really hard to get accurate measurements. Then there is the wheel plastic/wood itself.

I thought there was a forum member here, believe it was wood wheel 64 (???) who reportedly started a repop of this wheel but never finished. He would be a wealth of info. Hopefully some other forum member can recall this guy’s name.

FYI, per the May 74 MPC the wood wheel listed for $102.85
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	538646   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	538647   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	538648   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	538649  

Old 04-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Search 64woodwheel. His name is Chad...

"Bill"!

Old 04-28-2020, 09:01 PM

Default 1964 steering wheel

It llooks like the wheel is the hard part - I have seen the button, holder, and several internal parts reproduced. I was mainly concerned about the wheel itself -I was planning on buying the other parts or adapting parts from other application which I think I can do. On the wheel I need the dimensions. OD of wheel, ID of wheel spoke layout and center hub diameter, and spoke dimensions. I was planning on just doing real wood with a polyurethane finish which ends up looking like plastic.

I planned on making one and just keeping track of time if some one does want one then just do it in a cost effective manner. I remember when this was a hobby - not a get rich quick scheme. Guess I am just old enough to do my cars because I enjoy them - not need to make a money.

Please call if you can help with dimensions.

Jim 209-601-4408

Old 04-28-2020, 10:26 PM
Suspended

There are a few things not quite right with the repop horn buttons. I think I have like 3 or 4 originals, 2 of them NOS.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscheublein View Post
It llooks like the wheel is the hard part - I have seen the button, holder, and several internal parts reproduced. I was mainly concerned about the wheel itself -I was planning on buying the other parts or adapting parts from other application which I think I can do. On the wheel I need the dimensions. OD of wheel, ID of wheel spoke layout and center hub diameter, and spoke dimensions. I was planning on just doing real wood with a polyurethane finish which ends up looking like plastic.

I planned on making one and just keeping track of time if some one does want one then just do it in a cost effective manner. I remember when this was a hobby - not a get rich quick scheme. Guess I am just old enough to do my cars because I enjoy them - not need to make a money.

Please call if you can help with dimensions.

Jim 209-601-4408

It's a lot harder than it looks.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscheublein View Post
The price of these is crazy - cost more than the whole car. I have a machine shop and would like to make one for my car. Could anyone supply me with he basic dimension to do this - Outside diameter, spoke sizes, spoke locations. Thanks Jim 209-601-4408
I have One you can have for 350.00. (Firm). It is in unrestored condition. Thanks Steve, 202-345-2883 (Leave Message)

Old 06-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just an FYI... Here's Chad's original thread about his process to make it. Very interesting. It would be nice if the ball could be handed off to someone to bring this project to fruition. I know a lot of the people in this hobby would be interested.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...85#post6254485

Old 06-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would be great if someone would take this on. There is demand, not only from '64 owners of every Pontiac body, but other years as well. Many feel this was the best wheel Pontiac made, me included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Engine Steering Wheel Detail & Yard 014.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	567699   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Engine Steering Wheel Detail & Yard 012.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	567700  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)