Old 06-10-2021, 09:45 AM

Question Anyone here running a Breakerless SE ignition?

I know this has been asked before in other forums, but I have a few questions that might be T/A specific.

Looking to upgrade the factory points on my 70 TA to a Breaklerless SE setup

Tried emailing Breakerless (M&H Electric) direct, but have yet to get a response

1) Does it work with the factory tach?
The Breakerless website says it will work with factory tachs and some on other forums have confirmed this, but I know our tachs are a little more finicky and just wann abe sure.
The previous owner of my other 70 TA fried the tach when he tried to connect an MSD box and that's the last thing I wanna do with this car.

2) If it does in fact work with the factory tach, would I also be able to run an RPM switch using the same tach signal without buggering things up?
My plan is to install an RPM activated switch to trigger a hidden shift light like I do with my other cars (see vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLTr1Wyk7uM

I'll most likely use the parking brake switch with a diode to light up the BRAKE light on the dash

3) Does the Breakerless SE use an off the shelf module?
From what I see, it looks somewhat similar to a standard GM type module, but with a raised optical sensor

Just curious if they used an actual production unit that can be easily sourced in the event of a failure

4) I see several Breakerless setups being sold through Jegs, Summit, Ames, American Autowire, Lectirc Limited, etc., etc.

Are these all made by M&H Electric?

Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used pertronx for 10 trouble free years with a working tach in my 70. https://pertronixbrands.com/pages/pertronix-ignition

The Following User Says Thank You to Norwood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Looking to be as stealth as possible with the factory 1-wire

Also the Breakerless would be easier to swap back to points in the event of a failure

Old 06-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

Said before but "in general" a single wire tach will not work with a transistor ignition. In the figures below the single wire tach is what is to the right of point "D" and needs a strong trigger. The transistor section to the left of point "D" is an amplifier for a lesser signal. Which circuit you use depends on whether the coil is above or below the "coil ter".

I have ordered a circuit board from eBay but the vendor has two units and when received will know which is which.

Back in the day I could build a separate module for the transistor front end to connect between a transistor ignition and a single wire (usually hood) tach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuits.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	568024  

Last edited by padgett; 06-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I’ve used pertronx for 10 trouble free years with a working tach in my 70. https://pertronixbrands.com/pages/pertronix-ignition
Same here in my 71 a Pertronix 3, w/Tach no issues

64 GTO 389 Tri Power 4spd Nocturne Blue Poly
70 GTO 400 4spd Palladium Silver
70 GP 400/4 spd triple Black
71 T/A 455 4spd Cameo White
01 T/A Bright Red 4L60E Ram Air WS6
02 TA Navy Blue Metalic 6 spd Ram Air WS6
Old 06-10-2021, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Default Breakerless SE

The Breakerless SE system has been bulletproof for me. I put it into every vintage GM distributor possible. No wiring issues, no dwell or points. I probably have combined over 50,000 miles on these and have been thrilled with them.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had great results from Dave's Small Body HEI: https://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/about

Old 10-26-2021, 08:17 AM

OK, so I'm finally back home in Orlando

Haven't seen my TA since June

I actually ordered a Breakerless SE while I was away and plan on installing it sometime this week

Question for those who have installed this setup....

Do I need to put any thermal compound or dielectric grease under the module?

I don't see anything in the instructions regarding this, but every factory electronic module I've ever replaced always came with some sort of grease

Old 10-27-2021, 11:56 PM

Actually contacted multiple re-sellers of the original (Lectric Limited, American Autowire as well as M&H)

AA was the only one to get back to me and they suggested no thermal compound or grease of any kind

Finally able to get her into my shop for the install earlier today and it went smoothly despite one of the spacers on the split vane being loose right out of the box

Only issue I had was that the timing was WAY off after the install

Started up smoothly and went for a test drive without checking the timing.

Immediately noticed some rattle when I got on it, so back to the bay it went

Was 9* with the old points, but afterwards it was advanced a couple inches past the timing plate

Reset to spec and all was good to go again

Starts are crisp and she seems to idle cleaner

Short video checking wire clearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpdc3HBXgqY

The Following User Says Thank You to 98 SNAKE EATER For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's a pretty cool mod. I saw this when you originally posted it. I had always planned on going HEI for my car. I really considered this but eventually went with a whole new HEI distributor. The "stealth factor" of yours is very cool though. Although, mine is not too obvious with the air cleaner on.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share