Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
Thanks again. Yes i asked my engine builder, He suggested modern 10/30 fully synthetic because of the crank tolerances and the fact that it has a roller cam. Afterwards though, just in conversation with a very good friend and very knowledgable racer, when I mentioned this he said that he would never use modern fully synthetic in an old motor, stick with Kendall 20/40 or similar. Thats the reason for my question. And, as this post proves, there are several conflicting answers.
your engine builder knows more about the engine he built than your racer friend who sounds like hes talking about modern oil in older flat tappet cam engines or an actual old engine with dried up gaskets etc where synthetic might cause leaks. regardless of synthetic vs conventional, the weight is what myself & some others on here are referring to, stick with what the builder says & the engine will be happier.

another point to consider is with most current roller lifters, most companies & many top builders like SD performance say that a 10/30 is best for hydraulic roller lifters as far as noise/ticking goes. hopefully you dont have any noise issues with your lifters.

use whatever weight/type oil you want, but your builder who does this for a living knows a lot more about the right weight of oil to use than a person that didnt build the engine. FWIW, i have a roller cam in a 500+hp street/strip stroker pontiac & my builder says to use 10/30 as well as a few other reputable pontiac builders ive spoken to that i bought my cam/lifters from.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 AM
Senior Chief

I've heard that from several people...that hydraulic roller lifters get quieter with lighter oil. Mine is a little noisy with 20W50...go figure. Maybe I'll try that to test it.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

One thing has not changed: when I see a 1-2 psi drop in hot idle oil pressure, the oil and filter gets changed.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For those who want to educate themselves what viscousity to use for their street engines i recommend this reading.

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

http://gtoaa.org/