Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lower ball joint issue

I have a 62' Lemans race car with factory upper and lower A arms. The right lower ball joint, which presses in, is very loose and won't stay in. The ball joint itself doesn't seem to be worn out. Any ideas? I measured the opening in the A arm and it's 1.444". The ball joint measures the same

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 08-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just ran into the same issue. The only options are replace the arm or weld the BJ in.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anytime you have an interference fit that is worn, you can use a prick punch on the surfaces of the parts to raise the surfaces over the OD and ID, and tighten the interference fit up. Since there is no downward force on the ball joint and it is always being pulled into the A arm while loaded, you really only need it to be tight as far as lateral movement within the A arm bore.

As has already been said. you can surely tack weld it in also, but if you have no access to a welder the raised surfaces from multiple dimples from driving a punch into the bore would also suffice to stop the lateral movement of the ball joint within the A frame bore. I doubt you'll be able to dimple the OD of the ball joint socket, as it should be hardened. Probably only be able to dimple the A arm bore.

If you were really ambitious you could weld up the A arm bore and then grind it back down to insure there was plenty of surface contact between the ball joint socket and A arm, pretty labor intensive, but probably the best way to recondition an obsolete part to like new specs.

Basically the owners choice of which repair they decide upon.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the responses. I think what's causing the issue is when the car wheel stands on the launch, and then comes back down. The constant up and down movement has worn it out, A arms wise. At this point I think I'm going to pull the arm and weld the ball joint in.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 12-10-2020, 12:01 AM

Default Right side lower ball joint sheared off

The lower ball joint bolt broke off. I was lowering it off from a trailer and the car rolled down the ramp then the tire and spindle went under since the bolt had snapped. Do not know history of the car. Looked like original equipment.

Has this ever happened to anyone else

Old 12-11-2020, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have not had it happen to me with mine, but it sure could happen with any ball joint car. Time & wear from use is all it takes. Usually sped up by lack of lubrication.

POCI.org