Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 11-14-2020, 11:33 PM

Default Assistance with '71 Hard Top GTO History VIN: 242371Z111902

I am the owner of 242371Z111902.

I am very near completion of a more-than 4 year complete body-off restoration. I've turned every nut and bolt, sand blasted, wire wheeled and POR-15d everything I could and should have. And, I've had a lot of help from some great people and friends along the way. I tried to load some photos (before and after) and if they don't attach I may ask someone to post them for me.

The Lucerne Blue and Dark Blue interior '71 GTO has a 400 ci, turbo 400 auto trans, 3.23 rear gear, and was built in Fremont, California. It was sold new at Gay Pontiac in Dickinson, TX, near the Gulf Coast of Texas.

I am unaware of who the original owner might be. I've conducted some research and here is what I have.

When I found the GTO in 2016 in Hampstead, Maryland (just North of Baltimore), it had been in Maryland for 2-years. The title listed the owner as a resident of Texas. With a little internet research I was able to find the Texas owner. He owned the car since 1981 and was from Garland, Texas. I've corresponded with that owner "John" during the last 4-5 years and he provided some useful information.

At the age of 15, John and his dad Milton purchased it in 1981 for $500.00 from an individual who had the GTO sitting in a department store parking lot in Garland, Texas. The prior owner had wrecked the GTO shortly after he had bought it, hitting a telephone pole. John doesn't think that the previous owner ever titled the GTO. The 15 year old, without a lot of funds, found junk yard parts, and replaced the Endura nose with one from a '72 LeMans (with GTO option package) and '72 LeMans hood (with the GTO option package). He drove the car through high school, and then primed it, readying it for paint. As bad luck would have it, on an icy day an International Harvester truck slid into the rear of the GTO. The GTO was then placed in the family garage where it stayed for the next 30 years.

The title that I received with the car listed John's dad Milton, but also listed who I believe to be the previous titled owner: Lynn Walker, Jr. from Dallas, Texas.

When I stripped out the interior I found a build sheet under the package tray, and another build sheet on top of the gas tank. beside the trans tunnel and the passenger bucket seat I found an Exxon gasoline receipt and the signature for a person named "G. Caldwell".

So, here is what I do know, the car was sold in Dickinson, TX, and through various owners moved 269 miles North to Dallas and then another 18 miles East to Garland in the next 10 years (from 1971 when sold new until purchased by "John" in 1981.

I'm hoping someone from those areas remembers the car and can help me find and speak with the owners before John took possession. Interestingly, the GTO has a '68 Dual Gate in it which someone installed before 1981 (as it was there when John bought it). Could that have been a dealer-installed shifter? I don't know. Gay Pontiac was a well known NHRA sponsor (Don Gay). It is an A/C car with the formula steering wheel as well. Originally it also had those car length long bumper guards running down the sides.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

Scott

Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Also,

The car was ordered and came with a console mounted 8-track tape player (if that assists with the description for anyone describing the car to a possible former owner).

Thanks again.

Scott

Old 11-17-2020, 09:40 PM

If this helps, G. Caldwell's Texas license plate listed on the Exxon receipt was KFW-144. Lynn Walker Jr's Texas license plate, according to the title was KEX-121.

I'm hoping someone in the areas in or surrounding Dickinson, Dallas and/or Garland, Texas will remember the car between the years on 1971 and 1981.

Can anyone tell me how to load photographs onto this or future posts?

Thanks again.

Scott

Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71HT111902 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to load photographs onto this or future posts?

Thanks again.

Scott
Good luck with your search.

When adding a post, scroll down to the manage attachments red coloured tab, click it and then add pictures one at a time. Use the Choose File (located the picture from your computer or phone) and then Upload tabs. Photos need to be under 300KB to load.

Hit close the window and when you complete your post, photos should be at the bottom. Use the Preview Post to make sure and then Submit Reply.

Last edited by Pepper Judge; 02-27-2021 at 11:44 AM.