Old 05-27-2021, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Dash harness interchange

Was wondering if anybody knows if a 75 TA dash harness is plug and play...in a 73 TA?

I realize that the 75 harness will have the seat belt interlock harness....which will be removed.

I'm thinking that comparing fuse block maps will tell most of the story for under dash accessories , etc...but will engine harness be compatible?

Any input is appreciated

Old 05-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cant tell you for sure, but I have a 76 dash harness in my 71 and it screwed me when ordering my engine harness. The shape of the plugs on the bulkhead were different.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-28-2021, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has to be a later '73 LATE emissions change over ( dark blue engine with EGR ) for this to work correctly with engine harness plug into to fuse box as I recall. The 73 seat belt crap is there, just ditch all the yellow wires on the floor under carpet. I think the only thing you may need is a side by side of the Harmonica maps to compare. There also are differences in the auto vs standard shift as far as the thick Purple wires ( Clutch switch, vs neutral on column) .
In the factory service manual in the back, there are fold outs of the wiring. At the top are cut outs of the Harmonica maps for gauges, no gauges, etc to look at. Sometimes you can just move a wire to another location .

Old 05-28-2021, 02:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I cant tell you for sure, but I have a 76 dash harness in my 71 and it screwed me when ordering my engine harness. The shape of the plugs on the bulkhead were different.
Thanks for sharing...

I will explore that avenue first.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok....we dug into some old harness boxes...and thankfully took the time to tag this stuff when it came off the cars years ago...

Dash harness bulkhead connector on left is 75...and engine harness on left is 74...so it appears that early style connector interchange is 70-74...

In the second photo on the left is a 74 harness....and right...73 ...

Same color/gauge wires ... same location in harness......obviously for ignition coil on the 73.......but the 74 wires terminate in a different connector.....which plugs into a metal covered relay fastened to firewall above distributor...

I think I need to open up the harness covering...perhaps I will find the coil wires there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2771.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	567511   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2768.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	567513  

Last edited by Green Hornet; 05-30-2021 at 07:35 PM.