Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any appliance (refrigerator) repairmen out there?

My son has a 2013 model side by side LG refrigerator, model number LFX31925SB/00. It quit cooling, both the refrigerator and freezer sections. I haven't been out to see it yet, but I thought I would ask if anybody has any experience with this type of refrigerator/freezer before I look at it. What are the likely culprits?

Thanks,

Old 06-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Power, leak.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I can tell, neither compressor nor the condensor fan is running.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

when the cond fan is running the compressor Should be also. Not an LG tech but it sounds like the board that turns those on is at fault. Also it may be in defrost mode at the moment when neither the cond or compressor will be running. repairclinic.com is very fast at shipping and good prices.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

can you find the wiring diagram?

Old 06-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't been over to his house yet. He did some preliminary diagnostics, and indicated the condensor fan and compressor weren't running. I was wondering if there was a relay that might control both. Hopefully he either has a schematic or the manual. I'm leaving now to go over, will know more soon.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There was a lawsuit about LG 'fridges.
https://www.lgfridgesettlement.com/

Old 06-24-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had problems with every appliance since they started relying mostly on computer tech. Theyre all junk. But, if you put the problem on an online search there will probably be many replies as to the problem/repair. My dishwasher went kaput in April, I called the service guy, he pulled out the code sheet from behind the panel (which I had already looked at) and then opened his i pad and went online to see what the code meant. I could have and should have done the same. Said it was the 'mother board' and would cost nearly as much to replace and told me to buy new. Didnt even give me a parts price.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have a Whirlpool Gold fridge that by design cuts the wires that route through the freezer hinge and control the icemaker panel. Of course, it doesn't present itself until after the warranty period and can't be fixed with a new harness. Also, now the defrost tube periodically drips down the freezer into the bottom panel and eventually leaks out due to an ill-designed funnel cap.

I need to find a replacement counter-depth style in the near future, but it seems like all the popular models have some terminal issue.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-24-2021, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Refrigerators have become computers that cool your food. That aside water and ice has always been an issue especially now they put icemakers in the food sections. The energy requirement's mandated have forced DC motors adaptive defrost and computers etc..into all of them. I could go on and on as i have been a field tech since 1984. Just like cars these things are complicated and are getting worse. LG has bad compressors AND leaks in the freon systems. Half the time a compressor is changed it isnt the compressor, but a freon leak. when the compressor gets changed the tech refills the freon thus putting off the real reason (the leak) for about 6 months. No one is getting into this field of work. I could hire 4 people right now if i could find anyone who wanted to learn a trade. And pass a drug test..

Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

My three (home, garage, and little one in computer lab) are all pre-computer. So far have been able to fix what goes wrong. About yearly I clean the dust off the coils and other than lubing the little fan have served me well.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^ yep ^^^^