Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ryobi batteries-problems

We have Ryobi weedwacker,pole saw,and 40 volt blower its 1 yr old they work good. Batteries cant be stored partially or totally discharged. They will not charge up,about 6volts from cking. I tried net for suggestions. Tried the turning off and on power how they recommended on net. Nothing. Next is to disassemble and bypass electronics and charge the cells as shown on net. My 18v Milwaukee tools I do not have that problem and they are at least 10yrs old( new Milwaukee weed wacker with 18v battery about 270 dollars)The ryobis about 5 yrs old. I have 4 ryobi batteries 1 large capacity (it wont recharge,3 yrs old) and 1 small battery wont take a charge. Anyone else have this problem? What did you do?

Old 06-11-2021, 10:58 AM

Ryobi batteries have a 3 year warranty so I think you can just take them into Home Depot for exchange. I have had some problems with the black 18 volt batteries in the past dying but the larger green tops have been fine for about 5 years now, I have two 40v, six green tops and two grey top 18v batteries. I do not keep my batteries in the garage in the winter though, I bring them inside for winter storage. I do keep them outside in the summer time and heat so far has not hurt my 18v lithium batteries so far.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for response. I keep them inside also. I never read about storing them undercharged before,below I think 7 volts. My Milwaukee s just come back up to full charge. I'm going to look for special hex socket to take apart battery and by pass electronic recharge as shown on web. 'Cant be any more broker'- I ain't got no good English neither'. Learning about new techs.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have only had my Ryobi 40v batts a few months. So, I don't have much to add.

I'm trying to sell my brush type rear motor trimmer. Hope to sell without batt/charger. But, if I have to sell with batt/charger, I may try one of the generic batts. I think they are only about $70 or a little over. But several brands are a bit higher. Don't know which brands are better. They're all made in China & are basically the same. So who's to say if the Ryobi brand batts are better, or some of the generics. Can't really go by the reviews. there are always some who get real good service from each, & some who get duds.

https://www.amazon.com/Gooality-OP40...ustomerReviews

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36343300705...gAAOSwTAxgxghc

My Greenworks trimmer came with a 2Ah batt. Wouldn't last very long at all. So, I bought a generic 6Ah batt for it, for just under $50. Works great & lasts about twice as long as the GW 2Ah. I've read that the 6Ah rating on the generic batts is higher than they actually produce.

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-16-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess my age shows. I expect things to last as when I was younger. I still have my old Milwaukee electric power tools from self employment. They needed cords and brushes,sawzalls needed gears ,but still keep going.look like junk. I guess today everything is disposable buy new$$$$. I gotta try to get the cells recharged when I get that special socket.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH213LYTdJI

I had one 18V battery that wouldn't charge and almost tossed it. I did as this guy said and it came back to life. I think the "smart" chargers refuse to charge a battery that has gone below a certain percentage.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the special torx set. Took one apart, charged with old 110-12 volt phone charger. It seems to be ok now. I'm waiting for a couple more charges. Also spent the $ and bought new Fluke meter,to test voltages(also testing gm condensers and coils)My old analog and old generic digital just gave me problems.