THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default Opinions on trading cars

So I generally do not like selling my cars. I guess I kind of get attached to them but I also get tired of the dreamers. I have often wondered if there are other Pontiac collectors who feel the same? In some regards a even trade and/or trade and cash could be a better alternative. Some folks have a few similar cars and may be looking to diversify or add something they don't have to their collection. It could be more convenient than selling and then buying. I guess the hard part would be determining a value on the cars and a possibly an in person inspection. What do you think? Is it worth trying to trade or not?

Old 08-24-2022, 05:35 AM

I often consider trading. I mean if there is a particular car I wanted if the other person agreed it would be much easier just to work up a trade than to sell my car then go shopping. Plus I think you will get more value especially if someone really wants your car.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too have considered the trade, or Sell with buy back.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the "trade aspect " has allot to do with the individuals personality. I am terrible as a "trader". I ALWAYS end up getting the short end of the deal. So realizing that I would NEVER trade for a different car. But I might consider selling a collector car and then buying another one that better fits what I want. I sold my 2 owner 68 Firebird 400 convertible 4-speed, 53K original car. Then bought a non-numbers matching, made-up 4-speed conversion 62 Catalina. 90% of the people you talk to about that 'trade" would think I need to be institutionalized, but I couldn't be happier. It is the car I want.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:59 AM
Senior Chief

I am actually shocked at how many guys trade! I probably transport 10 trades per year & I love them because there are no deadhead miles if I am delivering & reloading at the same location.

I have never personally traded cars as I am the kind of person that thinks my stuff is never good enough

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 08-24-2022, 09:11 AM

I'd think the chances of finding someone who has a car you want and you have a car they want would be pretty small.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:21 AM

Back in 1989 I traded a VW that was my high school car to a friend for my first Pontiac.

Later on bought the VW back from my friend. Currently dumping cash into it.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy does this all the time, seems he can't keep a car more than a few years. Up here you have to pay tax on buying used cars. trades you don't.
so it saves him money to trade. Has probably traded 6 times.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'd think the chances of finding someone who has a car you want and you have a car they want would be pretty small.
Actually I find that a lot of the trades I transport are for guys who are not that particular as far model, but are just "tired" of the one they have & want something different that is cool!

A neat story on one of the trades I did many years ago :

An older gentleman in Georgia had a 2 door late 40's Cadillac & his Mother In Law lived with he & his wife. His wife would NOT go to any shows or cruises with him, because his MIL could not get in & out of the back seat being a 2 door. He found another gentleman in Las Vegas that had a 4 door late 40's Cadillac in about the same condition (very nice) & was even the same color! I did the transport of this trade & ALL were very happy with what they ended up with!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:57 AM
Senior Chief

Bill you have a perspective on this a lot of us never see thanks for your comments.

I have 4 collector cars which are either #2 or in between a 2 and 3 (one just received Gold Award at GTOAA Nationals this summer). I must admit I am also one who always sees something else they would like to own. I have held title to 36 Pontiacs so far and only a few were drivers or parts cars. However I have had one car for over 30 years and it has way too much "history" to ever get rid of it. My oldest child has dibs on it. I am conservative when it comes to value and condition, meaning I probably under estimate both. I always want the next owner to be happy with their decision. It is just the way I am.

I have noticed that a lot of us have "collections" these days. Not just one or two but sometimes many more cars. I also have seen collectors trade cars but keep them in a tight circle, meaning they potentially have the option to get the car back. Seems like a win situation for those of us who like to experience ownership of different cars without the hassle and expense of selling and buying. The challenging part would be a long distance trade. I would require a in person inspection of the car I was trading for and would expect the same of the other party. Bill has provided a solution for transportation when doing a trade like this.

I have wondered if their would be enough interest to support a web based site for trading. I am personally only interested in trading for another Pontiac but others might want to expand their collections.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

my early days of car stuff was taking some blown up POS, fixing it, and "trading" it for another POS + Cash. Kept the ball rolling. I mean how else can you go from a 1967 VW Bug to a 1974 AMC Matador? Or a 1977 Ford truck with a 400 Mopar/727 Combo, parted and swapped for yet another odd POS? Man, I have seen some crazy s***t.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-24-2022, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have sold our last 2 cars to dealers for asking price. The strokers are so convincing anymore. Can’t deal with Bs

Old 08-24-2022, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

lol matador...

I find the concept of owning multiple cars fascinating - and trading them too...

I for one just scrape by keeping one on the road...lol

Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have quite a few cars and I have often thought of trading some of them that don’t get the attention they should. I am mostly only interested in Pontiacs- but there are a few other models I would be interested in.

Seems it would be very easy to add a sub section in the vehicle classifieds for trade opportunities? Sometimes people just want something different- other times something you specifically want may come up for trade and you may want to give up your ride.

Example- a low mileage version of a not very popular car I really like in an oddball color I love came up for sale. They are interested in 72 and earlier cars. I have a 72 Luxury LeMans that runs and drives great but needs quarters. The LeMans is probably worth more as a potential GTO clone, but I would definitely be open for a trade. We haven’t really enjoyed the LeMans in years because it sits next to a 71 GTO that always gets the attention.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

So I put one of my cars up for sale and used the typical Pontiac Facebook sites. I scan BAT, Hemmings, and the new Haggerty Marketplace (look for these guys to really ramp up their site/business). BAT just amazes me at how much money people bid on a car they don't see in person or get a test ride/drive, as well as how unknowledgeable a lot of the bidders are.

The Pontiac sites tend to have a ton of "likes" and requests for more pictures but don't often get any "real" buyers. That is one reason I considered a trade vs selling and buying. It appears that the "market" is full of people who don't want to do much "legwork" to find a car and go see it. Auctions are making huge money right now. I never considered selling because of the fees but am beginning to think that is where the buyers are now. They get to see lots of cars in one place.

Anyway my motivation for selling/trading is to finally get a car I always wanted. Should have done it years ago but always felt they were too much money. Today they are way too much money but my "time" to own and enjoy one is getting smaller. I am looking for a 69 Judge. I have owned over 36 Pontiacs and one OO 70 Judge RA IV 4 speed (long story but bought it with a blown engine in the mid 80s). I would also consider a 70 Judge. Colors I like are Carousel Red, Warwick Blue, Crystal Turquoise, Liberty Blue for 69. For 70 I like Cardinal Red, Mint Turquois, Orbit Orange, and possibly Atoll Blue or Palomino Copper. Prefer a 4 speed and Parchment interior, hidden headlights, hood tach. Yeah I know I am being picky and there are tons of other folks out there looking for the same. However this will be my only Judge and will share a spot with my 67 GTO HO 400 I have had for 30 plus years (NMCA Stock ET Champion), and 68 RA II 4 speed GTO. Two other cars I have are potential trade or sell vehicles to obtain the Judge. One recently was awarded Gold at 2022 GTOAA in Concours Modified my 68 Tempest Custom. The other is my 72 SJ GP survivor with 78k miles and one repaint. I am not looking for a concours car as I will drive it some. However it must be the real deal and correct. Cars with their original drivetrains are rare but any car I would be interested in should have a correct drivetrain or very close to it (block, heads, intake, exhaust, trans, rear axle). Probably looking for something in a very high end driver to a #2 car. If anyone is interested in either of these two cars or you know someone who might, you can see more details at the video links.

https://youtu.be/a32DcVqSzic

https://youtu.be/wbRpBSIBguM

https://youtu.be/ebGQTdhCXdc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	597553   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 GP SJ 455.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	597554  

Last edited by Mcronk; 08-31-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trade would be ok as long as both are honest in what need repairs, or if it doesn't need anything at all. I've thought about it as I'm tired of the 4 speed in my 66 GTO. I love the car but I'm sick of shifting gears. I did that for years in the big rigs and carhauler at Anchor Mtr Frt.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:40 AM

I’d love to see a trade sections set up on this site. It would be great to keep a Pontiac with another Pontiac enthusiast and end up with another Pontiac to enjoy.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would consider trading my WS6 for something older.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trading can be fun!

In a different lifetime, I traded cars for guns, motorcycles, other cars, coins, etc,; but ALWAYS local, so both parties could inspect everything. Traded one to a construction company to install a new roof, and aluminum siding on my house and shop!

Last time I tried to sell or trade a car nationally was before the internet. One ad in HMN generated 195 requests for pictures! And ZERO sales. Later sold the car locally. I have a couple to dispose of now, but probably will will them to my heirs. So far, only mild interest locally.

I really think successful trading depends on an individual's personality.

There is a story in my family about my great-grandfather. In 1890, one morning he rode to town on his favorite horse and rode the same horse home that evening, with a $10. bill in his pocket. During the day, he had traded horses 6 times. Pretty good day's work in 1890.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

Carbking, that is a funny story. I have always heard the term "going to see a man about a horse".

Honesty and integrity would be a minimum requirement for a successful trade. Trading long distance would present a challenge but with videos, Facetime, etc. not as hard as it used to be. I once put together a high quality 30 minute video of a car I was selling. I went over the whole car with a body magnet, operated all the accessories, showed the engine running and a test drive. The car had some paint issues (poor paint job) but otherwise was amazing. I sold it to a nice guy in Norway. He took care of all the shipping. Showed up on my doorstep and drove the car away.

I notice peoples signatures and see many different cars listed. So I know there are others out there that like a variety of Pontiacs. I believe it is a matter of integrity and a mutual desire to own something else.

I am just amazed at the six figure bids on BAT. All based on some pictures and maybe a video. I have been in this hobby for over 30 years and can tell you I have driven hundreds of miles, trailer in tow, cash in hand, only to be extremely disappointed when seeing the car in person. But that being said I have bought a couple of cars based on pictures and many conversations with the owners. You can get a feel for a person when you spend some time talking cars with them.