THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Boost Engineer

Default On a lighter note, what do you define as

SUCCESS IN LIFE???

I RAN ACROSS THIS LIST OF THINGS ON THE WEB,
and it was surprising how many of them I agreed with and lived by.

1) Get paid for doing something you love: Everything is lighter and easier if you truly enjoy the thing you spend most of your life doing.

2) Be the GOAT: Strive to be the very best to ever do your job. You will spend 75% of your waking hours working or thinking about work,
so why settle?

3) Serve others: If it’s only about you, you will do the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Life is empty alone.

4) Work morally: Honesty, grace, humility, hard work and honor are the core values of a work-life well-lived.

5) Work smart: Working hard on the wrong or nonessential things is time wasted.

6) Study deeply: Master the tiny details and panoramic context of your profession.

7) Study thyself: Be clear-eyed about your gifts and flaws. It’s the only path to betterment.

8) Fortify thyself: Optimal work performance is impossible without healthy relationships, diet and exercise, and spirituality and mindfulness
outside of it.

9) Savor thy wins: Take time to celebrate aspirations met.

10) Learn from loss: The real good stuff often reveals itself in the most painful moments.

11) The bottom line: When the clock stops, smile confidently — knowing you did it right and well.

12) "Engineers do stuff for reasons"

Tom V.

Comments???

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
SUCCESS IN LIFE???

1) Get paid for doing something you love: Everything is lighter and easier if you truly enjoy the thing you spend most of your life doing.

2) Be the GOAT: Strive to be the very best to ever do your job. You will spend 75% of your waking hours working or thinking about work,
so why settle?

3) Serve others: If it’s only about you, you will do the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Life is empty alone.

4) Work morally: Honesty, grace, humility, hard work and honor are the core values of a work-life well-lived.

6) Study deeply: Master the tiny details and panoramic context of your profession.

7) Study thyself: Be clear-eyed about your gifts and flaws. It’s the only path to betterment.

8) Fortify thyself: Optimal work performance is impossible without healthy relationships, diet and exercise, and spirituality and mindfulness
outside of it.

10) Learn from loss: The real good stuff often reveals itself in the most painful moments.

11) The bottom line: When the clock stops, smile confidently — knowing you did it right and well.

Tom V.

Comments???
All good measurements..I would like to add to #12..

12.5) Train engineers to do stuff CORRECTLY for reasons..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Though #10 may be intended to kind of cover this I’d add, to #7, be clear eyed about your gifts, flaws and mistakes.” It’s how we learn sometimes (hopefully)

I like them though. Thanks for posting.

Brian
Old 08-26-2022, 03:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would agree with this thought, to be successful in life it helps to be successful at work, one needs to contribute to those around them for the betterment of all.

To encapsulate work, any job worth doing is worth doing well, at the end of the day, if you can't be proud of what you've accomplished, there is no real incentive.

Frank

Old 08-26-2022, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While I'm a believer in doing your job the best you can. I am not a believer in letting your occupation define you. After all, even with the best of jobs you are most likely a minion being paid by a corporation that is only in it for the profit.

I am a person, not a job, not a pay check. I try to define myself by the things I do for which I do not get paid. I always considered the things I did outside of work as far more valuable. A year after you stop work your previous employer doesn't remember you and could care less about you. Someone you help in some way is far more likely to remember that help and pay it forward.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, i agree. Yet there are corrolaries!

1. You are in a maze with no cheese.
2. Work to live, live to work.
3. Let others get the credit for your hard thinking, your hard work.
4. Your manager is right.
5. Think out of the box, see your manager.
6. Learn to relax, take a break, then get right back to work.
7. Embrace change, especially when your company is purchased or taken over.
8. Shine brightly; be in the 10% that work hard and do well, to carry the 90% that hang on.
9. Sometimes Marketing does the design, and you are blessed to "implement" their wishes.
10. Murphy was right.

These were just off the top of me head, yet they echo what some former coworkers espoused.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I look back on a 40 year career in design engineering, I have the a few thoughts.

1. You start out as an idealist, along the lines of the first 12 items Tom laid out.
2. By mid-career, you're attitude shifts to be more in line iwth Half-Inch Stud.
3. By the end of your career, you start to think more like dataway.

I have a few things I'll add.

a. Always have a Plan B. You'll never know when you need it. If you never need it, just consider it knowledge gained.
b. Life isn't always fair. Corporations exist to make money for their shareholders, not to make your life better. Remember that every action a corporationt takes is intended to enhance shareholder value and plan your actions accordingly.
c. Keep your skills up to date and diversify. You'll never know when your job will go away.
d. Maintain a desk log and keep it up to date. Once a year, scan it for personal records.
e. Management will totally forget their ethics training when doing what is ethical creates more paperwork or problems. Sometimes you have to just let things go.

I was screwed out of several patents after a project I worked on was killed, the division was sold to venture capital, where the project was revived and former co-workers got the patents in their name. It was my design. I was angry, never got over getting screwed by the company. I was laid off a few years later.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Boost Engineer

Some people I knew did the same job, (their only Job), for 30 years.

In my case I was fortunate in that I did about 8 years in Emissions & F.E.

Then found a new job in Truck Operations doing Proving Ground Testing.
(lots of different types of testing) but primarily supporting the Emissions & F.E.
Guys with actual data.

8 years later, tired of traveling, moved to Core Engineering.

First Job there was actually designing boosting systems to be installed on different model vehicles.
Did the First Lightning Truck, the First, Second, and Third Mustang Boosting systems.
Along with the Mustang Hot Rod stuff worked with the Race Teams in Super Street NMCA to improve
their performance on the track. The Keen Brothers were Super Street World Champions when I helped
them with parts and advice. Most of the time I was working at the Wind Tunnels and Test Track in Florida then.

Was a Technical Advisor for a Ford Super Bowl Commercial one year.

Then I went into Pure Engineering when I transferred to Advanced Engineering
They designed all of the First Gen Saleable vehicles (Car & Truck). 6 years there.

Finally went to Research to do the ECOBOOST Engines and the Boosted Diesel Engines
as well as the Hydrogen Powered Engines and the Super Spook "Spy in the Sky" long
duration "Stealth" aircraft for tracking the bad guys in the world.

So from reading the posts above, I was fortunate in that I could move between different
organizations and get lots of experience in several areas vs being on only one job for my career
with one or two companies Holley & Ford.

Out of 14 Patent Submissions I received 6 or 7 patents for boosting work.
I was not a professional "Patent Submission Guy". We had one guy with 300+ of them.

So the info above is not bragging, it is a simple history of work done on different areas
in the same company over 39 years. It was an educational experience for me vs doing them same job for30n years

I am sure that there are some on the board with vast experience in multiple areas.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-26-2022 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:00 AM

Tom,
I'm sure you had a very rewarding carrier ...hat is off to you.
During my years as a GM dealer I got to know a few guys with similar backgrounds at the Tech Center.
I asked Dick Long (who developed the Syclone) one time about his job and his reply was " I can't wait to get to work every morning.
Kudos

Old 08-26-2022, 10:03 AM
Boost Engineer

Keith Seymore is my hero in GM Engineering.

Pontiac Guy, 40+ years with the company, Still racing, involved with Royal Pontiac
as a supported racer (Father).

He also traveled and had a variety of jobs in GM.

Tom V.

My uncle was a GM Dealer for 67 years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I’m the only one who saw those points as applicable to life in general not just a job/career.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to bhill86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with almost everything in the lists above and the comments. Some people know at an early age what they want to do. At 12 years old, I already loved engines and was rebuilding lawn mower engines and other small engines for neighbors and friends of my parents. It's great when you can somehow combine your passion, and interest into a way to make a good living. Being in the automotive repair field my whole life, I often ran into people, especially dealership mechanics who really hated their job, the work, their co-workers, their customers, their bosses, everyone. But they stayed in that job, doing a job they hated for 20 years or more. Why? If you hate your job, make a change. Everyone deserves to be happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Absolutely agree Magarblik...33 years in IT and there are so many that collect a paycheck...zero passion

Must be like a jail cell for many people.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Boost Engineer

I was talking to a former co-worker guy who had 25 years in the company today.
He was praying for a "Buy-out" but it was not offered to him. They offered to all who had 30+ in the company.

He has always been outstanding in his job but he had enough of the politics.
He wanted to go south and get out of the city/state. Wife wanted to stay.

He always had a computer/inside/desk type job and was very good at it.
But he loved the outdoors. Great Fisherman. So in his case he had a HE vs SHE to deal with too.

Except when he was on his fishing boat I do not think he was ever happy.
Just a job collecting money each day. "paycheck...zero passion" for him too.

Unfortunately not everyone has a lot of options during work or after walking away from the job.

So I agree, much more than just what jobs you had and were you happy.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Keith Seymore is my hero in GM Engineering.

Pontiac Guy, 40+ years with the company, Still racing, involved with Royal Pontiac
as a supported racer (Father).

He also traveled and had a variety of jobs in GM.

Tom V.

My uncle was a GM Dealer for 67 years.
There was a fellow from our hometown named Jim Jefferies...started out in high school working at our dealership and he ended up in Ford engineering somewhere...perhaps you crossed paths. He always checked up on Dad when in town
Roger Pery

Old 08-26-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was fortunate to have 2 or more jobs at once for various reasons, one being I like Teamwork.
I look at most anything as information, and can it be used somewhere else?
I NEVER Loose, I Win, or LEARN.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I will say, I absolutely idolize the old school pocket protector. slide rule, engineers, designers, technicians that were crazy devoted to their jobs. They created some wonderful things, and got us to the moon, and were just freakin relentless in the pursuit of advancement in their fields.

I love seeing the old films of those guys with their horn rim glasses, and serious expressions, they really, really cared about what they were doing.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Last count we had 33,000 Ford Guys, just at the Research & Engineering Center in Dearborn, Michigan. 7 years ago I could do a company search and find him easily.

Today, with no access to the company employee info, basically no chance to see if he was still there.

I am sure the "ELECTRIC VEHICLE" guys are happy to have a job. A lot of other people
just went to work every day and drove home every evening for a paycheck.

I knew one guy who delivered eggs to the restaurants every morning (EARLY).
But he saved his money each year and Traveled the World for 3 months. He had
some experiences. I replaced him during that 3 months he was gone delivering eggs.

Paid for a lot of tuition expenses each year with that 3 month high paying job.
Basically because you handled a lot of cash each day. I delivered to one Flower Store
Eggs because they asked if I had any extra. So the ladies bought 3 dozen eggs each
week for 3 months. I traded eggs for Long Stem Roses.
I gave my future wife long stem roses every Thursday for a 3 month semester at the university. 7 roses in each specially wrapped box on Thursdays.

Those 30 dozen eggs in a case weighed about 55 lbs and typically I have to carry the eggs at times one hundred feet to the cooler. Many restaurants ordered two cases of eggs. Over 100 lb moved at each stop. 30+ restaurants delivered to 3 times a week.

I was in great shape.

So there is more to life than just having Daddy pay for your education and going to MJ smoker parties in the 70s. Tom V.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
As I look back on a 40 year career in design engineering, I have the a few thoughts.

1. You start out as an idealist, along the lines of the first 12 items Tom laid out.
2. By mid-career, you're attitude shifts to be more in line iwth Half-Inch Stud.
3. By the end of your career, you start to think more like dataway.

I have a few things I'll add.

a. Always have a Plan B. You'll never know when you need it. If you never need it, just consider it knowledge gained.
b. Life isn't always fair. Corporations exist to make money for their shareholders, not to make your life better. Remember that every action a corporationt takes is intended to enhance shareholder value and plan your actions accordingly.
c. Keep your skills up to date and diversify. You'll never know when your job will go away.
d. Maintain a desk log and keep it up to date. Once a year, scan it for personal records.
e. Management will totally forget their ethics training when doing what is ethical creates more paperwork or problems. Sometimes you have to just let things go.

I was screwed out of several patents after a project I worked on was killed, the division was sold to venture capital, where the project was revived and former co-workers got the patents in their name. It was my design. I was angry, never got over getting screwed by the company. I was laid off a few years later.
I agree! Very well stated. I retired a year ago at age 60 after a 42 year career int he automotive industry. I planned for retirement from the very beginning and lived under my means. I ended up with a good pension from two places, with medical covered 100%. Going to take social security in a few months when I hit 62. I can't believe how fast the time is going by, and am glad I don't have to scrape out a living anymore. Plenty to do. I have many friends that I've known for decades,, some over 50 years. Still have them and do trips and camping, etc. If you have friends and family, you are way ahead of the game. That's success.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
SUCCESS IN LIFE???

so why settle?

outside of it.

Tom V.

Comments???

This is absolutely amazing Sir!

I read this & thought....This is exactly how I have lived my life & run my business for 40 years now!

I also understand Dataway's comments, but they are from an employees perspective, NOT from a small business owners stand point.

My business definitely defines my life as I knew what I wanted to do early on & was raised with morals & decency. I incorporated the values I was taught into my business very early on & it served me very well. If I died tomorrow, I would be know by my fellow car hobbyists as someone who did everything in my power to take care of my customers & yes, missed out on a lot of family things over the years. Those things I missed were necessary to get the reputation as the best in the business & is a choice I would make again in a heartbeat.

Making a great living in the hobby that I LOVE was a blessing I will NEVER take lightly.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe