THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My dumbest automotive mistakes

A post in another forum got me thinking about mistakes. I have been working on my own cars since 1959, and carburetors professionally since 1966. So what are my dumbest moments?

(1) installing an electric choke on my wife's car that had an automatic tranmission (not dumb, just plain stupid!)

(2) thinking I could make my son's Pontiac 301 Trans-Am run with a basically stock 1969 Toyota Corona (family car) by adding a factory turbo to the TransAm. It did help, Before the turbo, I could spot the TransAm both first and second gear! After the turbo, could only spot the TransAm first gear.

(3) listening to the internet that blocking the heat cross-over on my GTO was a good idea. NOT on a street car!

(4) NOT buying a 1958 Ford flip-top in excellent condition in 1970 for $45. because I personally thought the 1958 was ugly!

So tell on yourself, what have you done (or not done) that you wish for a do-over?

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not buying the 4 speed 69 Judge for $750.00 in 1979

Painting the red interior in my 66 Mustang gloss Rustoleum black.And adding shag carpet.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:48 PM

I used to work for a guy who said the only people who don’t make mistakes are those who do nothing. If you learn something, mistakes aren’t all bad.

I am sure I have done a lot of very stupid things in my lifetime. One thing that sticks in my mind was a midnight cam change on a Dodge Dart. Working with a buddy we were exhausted when done. On the first start, after one minute no oil pressure. Each of us thought the other had put the oil in. While I am sure it was tough on the engine. I put well over 20,000 hard miles and noticed problems.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Listening to my wife, and buying her that brand new Ford Windstar minivan back in ‘95. I’ll never buy another Ford, seriously.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:05 PM
Senior Chief

In 1975 Not buying my brother inlaws 1968 Shelby Mustang he blew up the 428 Cobra-jet engine and installed a 390ci engine and he wanted $3,000 I thought that was way too much at the time! I was looking at the 1974 Mercury Capri!! I was wrong!!!!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS and I was hurrying to get it ready for a big car show. I multitasked quick vacuum, changed oil and filter, quick detail (back then the hot ticket using was lemon pledge lol).
Anyway start the car and then remembered I needed things from in the house. So I shut car off (ran maybe 20 seconds) got what I needed and as I came out of the house I saw a river of oil running down the driveway (a new cement paver driveway my mom had recently had put in). I forgot to put the new filter on . Fearing mom would have my azz I screwed on the filter, topped off the oil and parked car in the street leaving a nice oil tire mark the length of the driveway. Luckily it was a one car driveway so I put the spilled oil to use (luckily mostly new clean oil) and on my hands and knees spread it with some shop rags and used more fresh oil to blend it into the other pavers.
I was wondering what was waiting for me as I returned home but nobody noticed it.
My moms 92 now. I think it may be safe to own up to it now. Maybe..

Old 09-15-2022, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Putting the quarter panel stripes on my 70 GTO on the wrong sides. So dumb.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Crazily, most of the big ticket items that I went for, went good.

Drake. My only marriage (from1995-2001) was not a good thing. VERY glad I got out of that when I did. The ex bought a a lightly used Windstar van in 1998. She is VERY hard on cars. She could drive the Baja 1000, she's got plenty of practice driving on city streets, using the same driving techniques. Her Windstar only lasted another year or so, it was completely wore out!!!

The same woman tried to smooth talk me into selling the TA. It was not in great shape, back then, about same as now.. I'm really glad I said NO to that. She had the $$$ spent!

I go to an awesome church (since 2013]. God's complete truthful word is taught and preached there!!! One of the BEST decisions I've ever made in my life. My Pastor is a car Guy!!!

So thankful for my friends, here!!!

I'm still on the mend from my July 19th car accident. Got out of hospital, last Friday. Staying at my brother's house, until I can take care of myself, again!!

God's blessings upon all here!!!

John 3:17.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, since we are coming clean I will tell this on myself even though it is not automotive related.
In 1977 my first wife left me and I was really down in the dumps. Finally, one day I decided to go to the mall and just walk around. As I entered Sears a pretty young lady was coming out, She looked at me and a big smile came across her face. As I walked on I thought "I still have it"! I walked half way through the mall and was greeted by more smiles. Man, I was really feeling good! As I passed a mirrored glass I turned to check myself out. That's when I saw that not only was my fly unzipped but my shirt tail was sticking out of it!!

Old 09-15-2022, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Timing a Pontiac 350 engine off #1(exhaust valve!). At 15 years old being offered by Tony Faulk a 62 Catalina 4spd for $1800.00. I had a paper route.Oh it was one of the Knafel 421 SD Tin Indians. Putting a slant pan hydro behind a 389. I didnt know flywheel needed machined. Took out couple tranny pumps before I learned, duh. Being offered a blue 66 Catalina 2 door while hanging out at a local gas station. Went to look at the car,beautiful he wanted $1800.00 again. It was a 4spd, 376 hp! I was in college,poor. Finding a 63 Catalina, swiss cheese car in Pittsburgh about 1980.Newly married. It had a dual quad RAV in it. He had the SD 421 at his shop. It was the Royal car. I put another guy on to it. Changing oil in my SD when new. Enthused. Then after starting it realized I didnt add oil, shut it off quick.fortunately no problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buying a 1974 Ford Torino that was beyond clapped out in 1985. Actually, my first mistake was having no money. But it was like the Great Depression out west when oil went down below 18.00 a barrel. Zero opportunity for an 18 year old kid.
I bought that Torino out of desperation, for 150.00. I got what I paid for. It didn't start in good weather, let alone in winter in Edmonton, -40 for 10 or 12 days straight. If I did get some lousy job, I would get fired because I didn't make it there.
But it turned out OK. One day I got the chance to get a '74 Duster with the 225 slant 6. Man, that was one good car. I drove it all over Canada, eventually winding up in Toronto. I'll always hold a special place in my heart for that car. It saved my life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first dirt track race car we built had some frame damage that needed fixed before we could get it ready to race. The car was a wrecked 71 t37. The car’s owner took it to a frame shop and the guy running the frame shop told the car owner that he only needed a left front brake, not the right. He claimed it was because racing on the oval track cars always turned to the left. The thinking was that way when you hit the brakes, it pulled you away from the wall. That was what the driver of the car relayed to us anyway, we never talked to the frame guy. So since we were new at that, we listened to the “expert”. Then, first race… Watching from the grand stands as our driver hits the brakes, totally looses control of the car from the one left brake, and takes out the 40’ of the outer fence and a railroad tie buried 4 ft in the ground….LESSON learned..A car needs 4 brakes. LOL

Last edited by Jay S; 09-15-2022 at 11:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
The first dirt track race car we built had some frame damage that needed fixed before we could get it ready to race. The car was a wrecked 71 t37. The car’s owner took it to a frame shop and the guy running the frame shop told the car owner that he only needed a left front brake, not the right. He claimed it was because racing on the oval track cars always turned to the left. The thinking was that way when you hit the brakes, it pulled you away from the wall. That was what the driver of the car relayed to us anyway, we never talked to the frame guy. So since we were new at that, we listened to the “expert”. Then, first race… Watching from the grand stands as our driver hits the brakes, totally looses control of the car from the one left brake, and takes out the 40’ of the outer fence and a railroad tie buried 4 ft in the ground….LESSON learned..A car needs 4 brakes. LOL
Even though I heard that crap from a self appointed expert many years ago when I first started building, and driving dirt oval cars, I never tried it. Some sprint cars don't have RF brakes either, but they never turn right very well anyway, due to being a single purpose built chassis.

I believe that if you're using no RF brake to turn the car into a corner, your chassis is so far off, that you need that for a crutch ..........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:22 AM

I got kicked off my parents insurance and lost my license right out of high school, rolled a couple cars and 36 tickets in 3 years, hard to believe but i would get pulled over for speeding or careless and imprudent driving and they would give me 6 tickets for equipment problems. Sucked. The car i did not roll was a 68 bird 350 two barrel car, auto. i had done pretty well at keeping it running but had no clue except hot rod mags as to how to build a performance engine. i tore it down since could not drive anyway. took the block into a machinist and it was trashed. he had a 455 block though....i bought and put the base 350 heads on it. not sure what compression was but i brought home a battery from a crane at the construction company i worked at, plus a 3rd party hand built starter to turn it over. The infamous '3/4' race cam'. got it to run and drove it up the street a few times. ran terrible.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:52 AM
Senior Chief

My dad passed on the offer to buy the neighbor's 69 Yenko Camaro for $400 in the mid 70s because he said it was a worthless, used up POS. Guy still has it. I'm not saying I'm a car guy, but the fellow that owns the car came to my dads funeral in 2016 and I tried to buy it right after dad's service was over. I'm hopeless. I'm still hoping to have it someday. I love my Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles, but it was the hugger orange 69 Yenko that first got my heart beating and 20w-50 flowing thru my veins when I was an early teen. I will have one some day.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Starting a restoration while I was still renting a place to live.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
A post in another forum got me thinking about mistakes. I have been working on my own cars since 1959, and carburetors professionally since 1966. So what are my dumbest moments?

(1) installing an electric choke on my wife's car that had an automatic tranmission (not dumb, just plain stupid!)

(2) thinking I could make my son's Pontiac 301 Trans-Am run with a basically stock 1969 Toyota Corona (family car) by adding a factory turbo to the TransAm. It did help, Before the turbo, I could spot the TransAm both first and second gear! After the turbo, could only spot the TransAm first gear.

(3) listening to the internet that blocking the heat cross-over on my GTO was a good idea. NOT on a street car!

(4) NOT buying a 1958 Ford flip-top in excellent condition in 1970 for $45. because I personally thought the 1958 was ugly!

So tell on yourself, what have you done (or not done) that you wish for a do-over?

Jon
ok i gotta ask about #1 & #2.

why is installing an electric choke on an automatic car just plain stupid? lots of auto cars have electric chokes & they work great. i have 2.

& how does a 69 toyota corona with all of 90-108hp beat a 301T when its running right? or even a NA301? specs i saw for the corona show 90mph top speed, half the HP of a 301t & quarter mile times of 19-20 seconds... most basically stock 301t's run at 16.5 et, my mostly stock 81 tta with the boost set at the designed 9-10psi runs mid to upper 14's.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:29 AM

Back in 88 the cam in my 305 powered 77 camaro gave up. I swapped a 69 olds 350 into it and used the 69 alternator. Didn't realize I was running with no voltage regulator and one night a few days later I was driving down the street and one of the battery posts blew off and shot out in front of the car like a rocket, blew most of the lights in car too. Pretty funny and a valuable lesson.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tarl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
ok i gotta ask about #1 & #2.

why is installing an electric choke on an automatic car just plain stupid? lots of auto cars have electric chokes & they work great. i have 2.

& how does a 69 toyota corona with all of 90-108hp beat a 301T when its running right? or even a NA301? specs i saw for the corona show 90mph top speed, half the HP of a 301t & quarter mile times of 19-20 seconds... most basically stock 301t's run at 16.5 et, my mostly stock 81 tta with the boost set at the designed 9-10psi runs mid to upper 14's.
On older cars with automatic transmission, the transmission REQUIRES the engine to be completely to operating temperature before the choke completely relaxes. At the first stop sign, choke was completely off, engine stalled, and would not restart as the choke was completely off. Wife walked home. Of course, when I got home, choke was completely closed, and engine started normally. The worst thing was I did not initially figure out the problem, and didn't fix it; figured just a fluke. Same thing happened the next day! That night, wife said fix it, or buy me a different car! That was a Friday. Saturday, after testing, fabricated a new choke stove and reinstalled the hot air choke cover. We put another 200,000 miles on that car!

As far as the Toyota versus the TransAm: never tried to run them at top speed, so don't know; neither one was awe-inspiring after maybe 80. The Toyota needed a sway bar, don't know what the T/A needed. The Toyota, with a full tank of gasoline, weighed about 2150. The TransAm, with a full tank of gasoline weighed about 3900. Before the turbo, I could spot the TransAm first second gears in the 1/4. After the turbo, could only spot the TransAm first gear. TransAm had a dogmatic transmission.

Modifications to the Toyota: 1967 (pre-smog, but same engine) cylinder head and distributor; plus someone breathed on the carburetor. 4-speed was swapped out for a 5-speed, but gear ratios were the same, except for the 5th gear overdrive. This was purchased before I was bit by the "buy American" bug.

I don't care what the magazines said; we had both cars.

EDIT: had a telephone call, and quit before finishing. I don't know enough about torque converters and automatic transmissions to know why the newer automatics don't require the long warm-ups like the old ones did. Have had LOTS of customers of older cars in the last 25 years that didn't want to repair the heat tube in the intake manifold exhaust cross-over, put on an electric choke, and basically made the car not driveable until it warmed up. I used to tell customers to either fix it right, or go back in the house AFTER starting the car, and drink a second (maybe a third) cup of coffee. Once the engine is to normal operating temperature, no problem. Had my wife known to pump the footfeed several times and then start the car at half throttle, it would have worked; but she didn't know that. Personally, on my own drivers, I replace ALL automatic chokes AND automatic transmissions with manual ones.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 09-16-2022 at 11:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1968 I traded my "shade tree built" '62 Tempest, 389, 400 turbo, 55 chebby rear end for a 1957 Bonneville Convertible (fuel injection had been removed).
6 months later I traded back. A year later I pulled the engine/tranny and sent the Tempest to the junk yard.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat Racer For This Useful Post: