Old 09-23-2022, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Road Race Track Visit

A friend of mine ran his street legal car at Mid-Ohio yesterday on open track day (much like drag racing test-n-tune). Besides watching his laps, I wandered around and tried to learn as much as I could before going there next year with my car.

Of interest to this forum....most all of the cars were late model stuff like Corvettes, Mustangs, one Ferrari, etc. When I take my Firebird, it looks like odds are I'll be the only almost-50 year-old Pontiac. I'm gonna like that I don't have a "me too" car there.

I was talking to one of the regulars and he was taken aback by the idea of me "building my own car" for running there. (he had an off-the-showroom-floor new Mustang).

Another one of the regulars told me that I could probably stick with the pack OK if I had at least 450 hp. Hehehe....I didn't tell him that I'd probably have lots more than that.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds promising. I'm sure you'll show them how it's done.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I cant wait to hear how it goes. They sound like they have no clue what you're capable of. I'm hoping you'll document your trials and tribulations here. That ought to be fun reading.

I plan on doing some tracking of my car in the not-so-immediate future. I'll have a "me too" car unfortunately, (2014 Track Pack GT) but seems very capable out of the gate. Not ideal, but it will significantly lower my buy-in cost.

I'm not sure what class I'll run in. Right now I just love the idea of open time trials...but do want to race bumper to bumper at some point. Ive done zero research.

My local facility is about 100 miles from me and then Lime Rock Park another 80. Not big fast tracks like Mid Ohio, but should prove fun nonetheless!

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 09-23-2022, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck. I had a couple of track days with the Porsche club at Texas world speedway and it was a blast -and my 78 still had to wimpy 180 hp factory motor!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 09-24-2022, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always had a dream of building a road race car. I hope you enjoy your experience and keep safe.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I always had a dream of building a road race car. I hope you enjoy your experience and keep safe.
It's never too late to try something new 😎

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Sounds promising. I'm sure you'll show them how it's done.
The car will be more capable than the rookie driver. 🤪

The engine is going to be overkill on reliable parts and Mike is doing all the machining and assembly, so no worries under the hood.

Eric

Old 09-24-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The late 1980s auto-cross had a 71 455HO T/A TH400 and a 1970 Z-28 4-speed at the top of the competition (for that class), yet the exotic classes were similar or slower.

So,the 1970s T/As, like Bollinger's will be in the hunt for sure.

I decline that fun only due to the need for YEARLY tire expense to remain competitive.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to auto cross my Chevelle during college.

I imagine it was kinda humorous seeing this big ole big block Chevelle wallering around out there with the VWs and Triumphs.

Hairpin turns were no problem, though.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B78B1F9-070B-4670-859F-91167AA8AA6E.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	599289  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing to remember is open track days aren't a competition - you're just out there in your street car having fun, and passing is generally limited to certain areas of the track to minimize danger (for instance, having someone trying to out brake you and beat you through a corner.) Aggressive drivers who think they're racing will probably get black flagged.

This also means that as long as your car meets a basic safety inspection, you don't have to have some built up, modified, high horsepower machine. You can use your wife's stock Camry if you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Boost Engineer

I friend of mine drove his volkswagan at those open events.
He was there to have fun and learn more about the basics of handling.

I know you will "Have Fun", Eric, 20 minute sessions is a lifetime vs a 250 mph drag
car's time.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Driving it should be a blast, but (must be the engineer in me) the larger satisfaction is in the learning, planning, designing and building. A few stories:

I used to have a '77 T/A that got sold to help finance the Grocery Getter. My wife suggested that I try to get it back. We traced the car to the current owner in Canada. In a fit of boldness, I called him. Nice guy but I couldn't convince him to sell it.

Having a good basis for conversations with Herb Adams, who I've always held on a pedestal. He told me he did a lot of testing at Waterford Hills; so I'm planning to do a track day there someday as a sort of pilgrimage to the T/A homeland.

Calling our friend at Wilwood and having him tell me "I know what you want to do and I'm going to set you up with something that we make that isn't in the catalog".

"And now for something completely different".

Eric

Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw a clapped-out Birdless stock Golden Tan 77 T/A at a garage sale yesterday, all tired, some interior disassembled, and the engine bay was complete with Formula wheel, Chrome Valvecovers, Shaker, and clutch fan.

Geez, I Imagined washing it, to leave the paint as-is, but got dis-enchanted and tired just looking at all the neded interior work. I might be....old now !

Old 09-25-2022, 09:39 AM

About 10 years ago I took my 2010 Camaro SS to a HPDE at NJMSP and had a blast. We got four .5 hr track sessions that were preceeded by four .5hr classroom sessions. A professional driver rides with you telling you how to drive the course. There was no restriction on speed and you needed a "wave by" to pass. Never realized how physically demanding driving at speed around the track could be with just shoulder and lap belts to hold you in your seat. The professional driver drove the car for two laps before I took over the driver's seat. It was amazing how well the car could handle with him behind the wheel. I'd love to get the Firebird on the road track someday.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it's a dream at the moment. $$$$.I know one thing,I want the best brake equipment I can afford. No mushy brakes. Good oiling system.i have that 1974 TA shell sitting in garage,?!. Locally we have a track near Beaver Falls. John Labuda who has the 56 Pontiac gasser took a Fiero there had fun then put a V6 in it. He says its fun. He Started by helping out at the track. I have Herbs book and all his info on the FireAm.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:12 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
About 10 years ago I took my 2010 Camaro SS to a HPDE at NJMSP and had a blast. We got four .5 hr track sessions that were preceeded by four .5hr classroom sessions. A professional driver rides with you telling you how to drive the course. There was no restriction on speed and you needed a "wave by" to pass. Never realized how physically demanding driving at speed around the track could be with just shoulder and lap belts to hold you in your seat. The professional driver drove the car for two laps before I took over the driver's seat. It was amazing how well the car could handle with him behind the wheel. I'd love to get the Firebird on the road track someday.
Ford in Michigan has a Driving School that they put on for all Engineers and Test Drivers working at the Romeo Michigan (Michigan Proving Ground test track). It is set up the same way Bob Bondurant's driving school is set up out west. But Ford did not have to pay for hotel rooms and other travel expenses you would pay there.

https://bondurantracingschool.com/

If you really get involved in that type of racing I would recommend his school. https://bondurantracingschool.com/

You would learn a lot of things BEFORE you were trying to race on a track like Mid-Ohio. With winter coming on in Ohio you might be able to take a week and learn from the Pros out west. Bob is a very polite man.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The plan is to do the 3-day driving school at mid-Ohio in late spring before doing a track day.

Eric

Old 09-25-2022, 11:57 AM
Boost Engineer

That would work. "Cold Turkey" on the track is not good for anyone.
Open track days help you know the track and the speeds vs your car vs oil pressure.
Fun days. 3-day driving schools focus on specifics which will be with you forever.

Have fun.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Yes it's a dream at the moment. $$$$.I know one thing,I want the best brake equipment I can afford. No mushy brakes. Good oiling system.i have that 1974 TA shell sitting in garage,?!. Locally we have a track near Beaver Falls. John Labuda who has the 56 Pontiac gasser took a Fiero there had fun then put a V6 in it. He says its fun. He Started by helping out at the track. I have Herbs book and all his info on the FireAm.
When we lived in PA our favourite was Summit Point in WV - particularly when they used the full track. We used to drive our car to track days and autocross, but a car trailer was next on the list. It's a boatload of fun!

Every group is different, but there is almost always no passing without a point by, and often only on certain sections of the track. We were running around 300HP (stockish LT1) but it was more than enough to have fun and keep up with most of the newer cars (we were often the oldest car at the track).

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mid Ohio ran 3 groups.
Novice had to follow a pace car and no passing allowed.
Street class required some level of experience or schooling. Passing was allowed only on the 2 long straights. Point by's were optional.
Race class is the highest and I think requires an SCCA license. Unlimited passing.

Eric